Keeping fish again, soon

jeffecito

Hi all,

I've just started cycling a 20 gallon tank, we live in the Dominican Republic so it's kind a hard to find bits and pieces in the LFS,

I just ordered a test kit on amazon to follow the cycle; but it will prolly take me the better part of a week to get it.

I am planning to add a pair of clowns, perhaps a lawn mover if I think I can feed him once the tank gets more established. I really like inverts so I will get myself 4-5 crabs and scrimps; I'll have somehow to figure out how to bring them with me from the states, I reckon it's doable, it's just a 2 and half hour flight.

I'll get myself some easy corals, I will prolly have to carry those from Florida as well, I'd appreciate any thoughts in this.

I've been thinking about a sump, but don't know how much I will trust an overflow box, as we do have frequent power outages here.

Hence a HOB skimmer is what I have in mind; I kinda like the octopus BH1000, the idea of having that the pump doesn't head up the water appeal to me, but I'm unsure if this skimmer is to big, and also how that set up works with my frequent power outs.

I had a 12 gallon nano while I lived in Japan 3 years back, donated all to my office when I left, and my old fish are still swimming :)

Phiu

Snid

Welcome Aboard, Matey.

A sump with overflow box should be fine even with power outages if done properly. It's not difficult and most designs now start right back up when power is restored.

Mike Johnson

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary. Customs might be a difficult thing with live animals? And liquid on airplanes is pretty strict? Keep us up to date.

Steve L

How far are you from the ocean? It seems like you could stock your tank yourself with some really outstanding specimens living down there.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hello Phiu Jeffecito :wave:
:welcomera WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:
Hope to hear more from you as you put your tank together...
Very BEST WISHES :biker

DaveK

My thoughts would be for you to look into collecting some livestock locally. Of course, the local laws must be checked, and so on. The best part would be that you might be able to collect some of the Caribbean fish that are very colorful, but not seen very often in the aquarium trade. It might be possible to obtain fish or other livestock that few others have.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hi and welcome to RS!!! Friendly bunch of helpful folks here, feel free to ask any questions you may have! :swmfish:

jeffecito

Thanks all, for the warm welcome. I found my LR in a reef close to the beach; we washed them in freshwater - had to do that. And the tank has now cycled for a week with those rocks and I now have some white mucus growing on some of the rocks - I'm not sure what it is, but have seen that I'm not the only bloke that has had this. What do you folks say, should I just wait and see? I have directed the power heads to them, just to try something.

Phiu

jeffecito

My thoughts would be for you to look into collecting some livestock locally. Of course, the local laws must be checked, and so on. The best part would be that you might be able to collect some of the Caribbean fish that are very colorful, but not seen very often in the aquarium trade. It might be possible to obtain fish or other livestock that few others have.

Will for sure see if I can find some critters, starfish and such.

Phiu