Karin's Reef Chronicle

Joeys Tank

Jumping in new on the topic and wanted to add a few cents :)

UTS, diatoms, algae growth, cyano ... all natural occurances as your tank finds a balance. Completing the nitrogen cycle of a tank is a start, but there is so much more that needs to occur within your tank. Denitrifying bacteria which break down nitrates into nitrogen gas, slowly pulling phosphates out of your rock, rejoicing the diatom blooms because they are working on the silicates in your system, waiting for the multitudes of life to grow/reproduce in your rock and sand, etc. Many things will occur within your tank during the first year and most of those things that occur need to happen for the tank to mature.

You have some great advice on adding fish and bioload concerns. Bioload is increased as a result of adding nutrients to a system and the amount of waste products being produced. Your tank will naturally respond to both cases; however, a large increase in either one can cause issues with your tank as your system struggles to keep up. Fish (mainly) and invertebrates (to a lesser extent) bring increased bioload because you are adding foods to sustain them. As they process the food, the generate waste products which need to be broken down (the nitrifying process). Coral, on the other hand, tend to not significantly contribute to the bioload of a system (except those corals which you are directly target feeding or feeding the general tank in the attempt to get food to the coral). Because of this, you can add coral at a larger rate than adding a fish.

Here is a good read of a post I put together. It starts off with an article on the subject and then I try to summarize.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/striving-for-the-half-million-mark.93161/

anarchy

That could be why calcium and alk are so high. Reef crystals normally mixes higher so when you do water changes it kinda doses everything for for you to bring the levels back up faster... If that makes sense

ANARCHY

Joeys Tank

Oops, Anarchy. I think you were asking nmsalty about her salt mix, but I answered since it was after my post.

My bad :(

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
The only way I know to keep GSP and other take-over-the-rockscape corals from taking over the rockscape is to seclude them on the sandbed.
If you get your Xenia frag, give it its own rock on your sandbed & don't let it touch your other rocks. :D
I like Instant Ocean Reef Crystals too....only kind I have ever used :thumbup:

Pat24601

I literally have a live rock island in my tank (surrounded by sand) in case I ever want to add an invasive coral to my tank. I haven't used it yet, but it's there.

nmsalty

That's a great idea. I think that's what I will do. What are some beginner corals that are 'safe'? And fairly easy?

nmsalty

I guess I'll post an update, if you all don't mind.
My calcium and kh levels have come down just a tad. My other parameters remain the same as before.
I will be doing a 15% WC tomorrow.
My astrea snails are still doing a phenomenal job. The turbo snails I bought are bugging me. They tend to flip onto their backs and can't get up so I have to rescue them constantly.
I haven't seen Kermit, the crab since last night :( I hope he didn't die. I'm always worried about that. I wonder what's up. He's always been out and eating my plentiful (sigh) diatoms.
On Sunday I will take a water sample to my LFS and have them test it as well. Before I subject clownfish to my water conditions I want to make sure they'll be all right.
That's all I can t think of for now.
I'm definitely in the ' hurry up and wait' phase at the moment.

nmsalty

I thought I'd post a few pictures since my last one was a few weeks ago and things have come along nicely.
The diatoms are mostly gone and my inhabitants seem happy so far.
I apologize for the picture quality; everything looks blue but you get the gist.
15MAR15.jpg This is my first zoanthid frag. There are actually 2 different ones on there. PLUS, as I noticed last night, a tiny brittle starfish that must've been hiding under there. I was excited about that freebie!
15mar15b.jpg My hammer frag. I've had him for a couple of weeks now and he is small but looking well. He seems to like the location I put him in.
15mar15c (500x313).jpg Luke and Leia (naming courtesy of my boyfriend--eye roll--), lol. They're adorable, not shy at all and a lot of fun to watch. If only they would hold still for a picture ;-)
The blurry thing in the background is a brain maze coral frag.
15mar15d (500x319).jpg And finally, most critters in one shot. This is my favorite picture so far.
I also acquired a peppermint shrimp who is very shy except when it comes to feeding time. Then she literally attacks the sea squirt feeder. I use coral frenzy to target feed twice a week and she loves that stuff.
The newest member is a green clown goby. He is very tiny and likes to hide. I've only had him since Saturday but he's coming around. I hadn't planned on getting another fish so soon. But I went to my LFS to look at some frags and they happened to have one so I had to get him. I've always wanted one. No more fishies for a while, though. Some frags here and there, I think. A royal gramma will be my next (and last) fish eventually.
I'll stick to easy frags for now. I'd hate to spend a lot of money on big coral, only to watch them die. My tank is to new for that. Besides, I like to watch something grow if it's happy. It gives me a sense of accomplishment!
It's not much to look at right now but I'm definitely excited. I love it!
Thanks for looking!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Great UPdate....Pretty clownfish pair & zoas! :geekin:
Exciting news about seeing a micro-brittle star...I'm thinking you will be seeing several more soon. They tend to hang out in groups so be watching for more little brittle arms here & there. What color was it?
I have white ones & red striped ones. Got both kinds as hitchhikers. :D

nmsalty

Great UPdate....Pretty clownfish pair & zoas! :geekin:
Exciting news about seeing a micro-brittle star...I'm thinking you will be seeing several more soon. They tend to hang out in groups so be watching for more little brittle arms here & there. What color was it?
I have white ones & red striped ones. Got both kinds as hitchhikers. :D
I think it's a black brittle starfish. The arms were very skinny, though.

Leo

:rbwwelc:WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary nmsalty!!

My guess is Your tank has not cycled yet. I would advise that you get a deli-shrimp (from the grocery store or fish bait shop) and smush it up in a tied piece of pantyhose or fine netting, toss it in your tank & let it decay. This will feed your good bacteria and verify the cycle has progressed to handle the bioload of your first fish. The progress takes patience but it will pay off to give it time!
If you'd like this thread to be the start of your tank journal, We can get you fixed up! Sharing your journey will make it more fun & successful :thumbup:
Stupid question??? Deli shrimp signifies a raw shrimp??