Karin's Reef Chronicle

nmsalty

Hello, everyone!
I've been reading as much as I can about starting a reef tank on this wonderful forum before I even bought my 30 Gallon half moon tank.
I have since added 4-5 inches of live sand and roughly 30lbs of live rock.
The tank has been running for about 2 weeks now.
The only thing I have seen so far, is these brown deposits (I'm assuming bacteria and no algae yet) on the rocks.
Nitrates at 20 ppm
Nitrites at 0 ppm
Calcium levels are higher than what the chart shows, so at least 520ppm
KH levels are higher than what the chart shows, so must be more than 214.8 ppm
Phosphate at 0 ppm
PH is between 8.2 and 8.4
Today I received the ammonia test and, to my surprise, it read 0 as well.
Salinity is 1.025
Temp at 78-79 degrees
I have not performed my first water change yet because I read you should wait at least a couple of weeks.
Could it be that my tank has completed its cycle without a lot of ups and downs?
I thought that, due to the bacteria on the rocks, the ammonia would spike and then slime algae would form and continue the cycle. Was I misinformed?
There is no algae as far as I can tell.
But before I add anything to the tank, I want to make absolutely sure, it is safe for cuc/fish.
I'd appreciate some advice on this. Thanks in advance.
This is what it looks like for now. The lighting makes the picture look a little off.
IMG_2450 (640x480).jpg

Snelly40

it could have completed, would be a little on the quick side... did you use live sand or previously used rock? that could have sped it up. what did you use to cycle the tank? shrimp, fish?

Pat24601

Do not take my word for anything is I am not close to an expert on cycling.

But, yes, it's possible for the tank to cycle without a lot of ups and downs. It all depends on how cured your live rock is. It's been a while now, but mine barely had a cycle like most folks expect and looked nothing like the chart.

That said, I'd wait until some more experienced hands chime in about your specific situation before taking my advice.

Regardless, I'd go really slow for a while even if your tank has cycled. Add fish very slowly, for example.

Also, pic isn't great, but I'd assume brown is diatoms.

nmsalty

I used live sand and cured live rock. I thought it looked like diatoms as well but I wasn't sure. I definitely don't want to get any fish yet. If nothing else, the nitrates have to come down first and I want to do a couple of water changes.

Pat24601

If you used cured like rock, I'd think you may have cycled. But, you may want to wait for someone that knows what they are talking about to confirm before taking my word for it. :)

nmsalty

If you used cured like rock, I'd think you may have cycled. But, you may want to wait for someone that knows what they are talking about to confirm before taking my word for it. :)
Thank you regardless. I'm sure you know more than I do.
And I'll wait for sure. I feel it's important to make certain it is safe for fish, etc.
I'm a bit concerned about the high calcium/kh levels as well. I assume it's so high because of all the live rock but I'm not sure.

nmsalty

it could have completed, would be a little on the quick side... did you use live sand or previously used rock? that could have sped it up. what did you use to cycle the tank? shrimp, fish?
I did not use fish or shrimp. I read that live rock would be enough to kick start the cycle.

Pat24601

That is defintely a high calcium reading. The thing is, I can't think of any reason your calcium would be that high. You don't dose it or anything yet, I presume. Did you mix your own salt water or buy it?

Another real possibility (and I don't say this to be insulting) is user error on the calcium reading. Calcium is one of the trickier things to measure and if you are new to it it can be fairly easy to misread (I think).

Snelly40

Technically yes live rock and sand could cause a cycle, albeit a small one, once fish are added you could cause another, from what I've heard and read usually you want a rather large cycle so the whole bio filter is in place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nmsalty

That is defintely a high calcium reading. The thing is, I can't think of any reason your calcium would be that high. You don't dose it or anything yet, I presume. Did you mix your own salt water or buy it?

Another real possibility (and I don't say this to be insulting) is user error on the calcium reading. Calcium is one of the trickier things to measure and if you are new to it it can be fairly easy to misread (I think).
I'm not insulted by any means, lol. Advice is what I'm here for.
I've done the calcium test about 5 times now, waiting a few days in between tests. And it's always been the same. I will do my first water change on Sunday and see what happens. I haven't dosed yet, no. I figured at this stage it would be pointless.

nmsalty

Technically yes live rock and sand could cause a cycle, albeit a small one, once fish are added you could cause another, from what I've heard and read usually you want a rather large cycle so the whole bio filter is in place

Yes, I've been thinking about that as well. Maybe I should throw a piece of fish or shrimp in there. I'd rather not cause a cycle with live fish in there.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
:rbwwelc:WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary nmsalty!!

My guess is Your tank has not cycled yet. I would advise that you get a deli-shrimp (from the grocery store or fish bait shop) and smush it up in a tied piece of pantyhose or fine netting, toss it in your tank & let it decay. This will feed your good bacteria and verify the cycle has progressed to handle the bioload of your first fish. The progress takes patience but it will pay off to give it time!
If you'd like this thread to be the start of your tank journal, We can get you fixed up! Sharing your journey will make it more fun & successful :thumbup:

Pat24601

Yes, I've been thinking about that as well. Maybe I should throw a piece of fish or shrimp in there. I'd rather not cause a cycle with live fish in there.

Personally, I think the deli shrimp is a good idea. it doesn't hurt in any real sense and it can ensure you've got a significant bio filter in place as Snelly suggests.

Pat24601

This will feed your good bacteria and verify the cycle has progressed to handle the bioload of your first fish.

This is really what I meant to say in my post, so I thought I'd quote it.

Regardless of if you tank technically has had a cycle, a deli shrimp will either help build the good bacteria to where they need to be (large cycle) or verify they are where they need to be. So, either way it seems like the right thing to do.

jaws789832

What part of NM are you in? I live in Rio Rancho. If at all in doubt take a water sample to your LFS and have them test it as well. Or if you are nearby I can come test it with my kits.

nmsalty

What part of NM are you in? I live in Rio Rancho. If at all in doubt take a water sample to your LFS and have them test it as well. Or if you are nearby I can come test it with my kits.
Funny, I live in Rio Rancho as well. :)
I'm going to do the shrimp thing first and then I'll go from there.
Probably won't be today, though. I'd rather stay home with all this snow right now.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
If you have any bristle worms hiding in your LR, watch for them after lights are out. I caught a very very long one coming out to try to eat the deli-shrimp. It was tied in a hose so he probably wouldn't have been successful.
Some leave them in the tank (I do if they are small) but I got a pair of tongs & a net & removed that HUGE one. Guess bristleworms like rotting deli-shrimp :yummy:

nmsalty

I haven't seen anything in there yet and it's been running for a couple of weeks now. I guess I bought some well cured live rock with not much in it?
I have sat in front of my tank, rock watching, lol. Nothing...