Just starting out. Advice appreciated

Nascar99

One tip is if you use a plastic swing arm hydrometer to test your salinity, they're usually off.

So what you do is test your water, then have an lfs test your water, and see the difference

My hydrometer says 1.022, but an lfs used a high accuracy refractometer told me it was really 1.024 so now I know always add .002 to my readings at home :)

Desmond

Looks like you are going to have a nice setup :)
I did not see an auto top up unit on your list or correct me if i am wrong. This will help you keep you salinity stable which is a must otherwise you will have to top the water up manually and when your away it wont be good.

I would also think about making your own saltwater as then you know exactly the way you have made it. A ro unit will be a good investmet and give you peace of mind.

You could also consider a STC 1000 temperature controll unit. These are great as you can put your heaters on them which will turn them on and off according to a set temperature. If a heater fails it will stop your fish getting fried. You can also hook a cooling fan up to it in the case your heaters are off and the tank is still not cooling.

When you are adding your live rock i would consider also what type of corals you are going to have so you can make a plan as where you will place them and what types :)
Best of luck on your adventure and remember take it slow i failed at this before and had meltdown and learned the hard way. My new tank is well over 2 months and still no fish just CUC a shrimp and corals:)

Look forward to seeing some pictures:) Make sure to start a thread so you can see how far you come and make a note of your readings it could help if you have issues .

I have started a tank thread now, thank you :)

Regarding Auto-Top off, at the moment I have not included one, as I have not figured out where to put the reservoir for it. As this is quite a large unit to begin with (tank and stand together work out about 4 ft by 2 feet and 5 feet tall) the wifes condition for it going in the living room was that everything must be contained in the stand.

I will have a look at the temp control unit. I am wanting to get a controller, like the Apex, but that will have to come after.

Desmond

Hmm i feel your pain :) What about a nice unit beside the tank that you can store all your test kits into and hide the ATO container in it.It will make your life allot easier. Or a puff quadrado which thelid comes off and you can store a container inside it drill a little hole in the back for wires and tubing and place right beside the tank.

The tanks position puts a wall behind it, a wall to one side, and a couch at the other side, so unless I can magically fit it IN the couch I dont know. I am having crazy thoughts about running a pipe along the corner of the room and having the top off upstairs (there is a storage room above the living room) but I have a feeling if i suggested that now I might need to pack a suitcase.

Desmond

I see that leaves it difficult. Well if you have someone to top it up when away you dont have to panic :) lol packing a suitcase i will be too if i suggest to get a bigger tank for now :)