Just joined up

Dracunculus

It has a small stalk, which is lodged into a hole in the live rock. Definitely NOT aiptasia, since I have had those (peppermint shrimp took care of them). As I said before, seems not to be bothering anything, so I am not concerned. Just curious as to what it might be.

sharks

Contributing Member
OK I’m thinking a single polyp of Galaxea fascicularis or Galaxea astreata. See the pic in Verons COTW volume 2 page 109-113.
I’m still looking though
S

Last edited:

Dracunculus

Thanks Nick. Took that picture myself of the mandarin I got two weeks ago. Always amazed how colorful that fish is, especially how deep the blue is around its face...almost glows under actinics. Hoping that my 80 or so pounds of LR and my fuge (which is absolutely crawling with amphipods and mysid shrimp) is enough to sustain it. Read up a lot about them and came to the conclusion that I should be ok...so far it is thriving.

sharks

Contributing Member
Dracunculus,
Can you post another pic of this critter? Also what type of LR do you have? You should be able to rule out an anemone by feeling for a stony base. There were a few other pics that were close in Veron’s book. Regardless I think it’s a safe hitchhiker you have here.
S

Also while your at it tell us about your reef :D
What size, lights,....

Gina

RS STAFF
Could it possibly be aptasia or majano? At least thats what it looks like to me. Do a search on it and see what comes up pic wise. If it is, get rid of it.

Craig Manoukian

Welcome, welcome, welcome! Nice to see you here as well as over on the RAG. Post some pictures of your Zos her as well in the photo gallery!

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk: