Just joined up

Dracunculus

Wow!! Yet another website to discuss all things reef :)

Looks like a great site....now I have to work on taking a nice picture for the contest.

So that the message isn't entirely self serving...I do have an ID question. The following creature is in my live rock and only comes out after lights off. It has a hole that it resides in during the day, and only pokes its head out at night...always in the same location.

ReefLady

Staff member
Welcome!

Glad you found us. Your critter is a type of anemone -- I'll dig up the scientific name a bit later.

Curtswearing

WELCOME TO RS Dracunculus!!!!

I'm kind of struggling with the ID---I'm wondering about a medusa worm. What do you guys think?

UnderWaterParadise

my name is Rob and I'm a Zooaholic
Welcome aboard You have found the BEST reefing community on the web.

Not sure of the ID but I'm sure RL will dig it up.

Dracunculus

Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

If you want to find out the source of my username, just do a Google search for Dracunculus medinensis ...it is a parasitic nematode which lives in Aftrica..probably the source of the Caduceus as the medical symbol.

The hitchhiker might be Edwardsia, but the tentacles are a bit shorter than the pictures in the links you sent.

ReefLady

Staff member
Welcome African nematode!

:wave:

I got some hitchhiker anemones like that on my gulf rock. They spread just like aiptasia, but fortunately my peppermints found them equally as tasty. :)

Travis

ScottT1980

What about the Mojano anemone (I will try to find a picture)...

I knew some people were throwing around aptasia so I thought I would go for the next, most common "pest"-anemone in the hobby...

I will try to find a picture

Take er easy
Scott T.

Dracunculus

Wouldn't think it was a pest anemone, since I only have one, and it has not reproduced or grown at all for the year or so I have had the tank. The problem with taking a picture is that I have to do it in the dark with a flash and it is a bit harder to focus. Seems wierd that an anemone would be nocturnal like that though.

sharks

Contributing Member
Nocturnal? Sound more like a SPS coral. I can't remember the name but I have seen one like it. I will search for it.
Does it have a small stony base? The coral I am thinking of had a small coral base with ridges.
I'll look in the morning.

Also Just because it didn’t spread doesn’t mean it isn’t a pest anemone. I have had this one aptasia in my reef for over a year now. Never multiplied and has barely grown, but defiantly aptasia. I attribute this to clean water. Pests spread faster in less then ideal water conditions.
HIH
S