Just got the Max E260 Setup and going

nando2323

Here are the first pictures of it. Just filled it on Tuesday and started the cycle yesterday. Not so sure about my Aquascaping skills but it's my first shot and I basically did a two tier cave deal I guess. Still kind of cloudy but I hope that goes away in a few days.

yqUHz6j.jpg

nando2323

How many pounds of rock did you go with?
I went with the BRS 50lb package of dry fiji. I'm not sure if that's enough though I didn't weight it but I figured that Dry weights less than wet so it should be by theory more rock.

nando2323

I figured I give you guys an update so far as to what I like/dislike so far about the MAX E 260.

• The looks, it looks awesome super clean design.
  • Ease of use, it's pretty straight forward to setup and use, and well thought out for the most part.
  • Noise, it's whisper quiet. I can only hear the slight waterfall noise from the overflow.
  • The lights are great and look great and super bright holy crap.

Dislikes:
  • The power center cover, there's not enough room for the plugs I basically have the cover off because it's too tight, the skimmer plug got bent so bad because the room is so close and pulled on it.
  • Aqua Illumination's app is horrible, it barely connects correctly when on local network it's just not good and making adjustments with it is also hard not really well designed. I resorted to using the web interface instead it's much better. But that is missing features I cannot see where to adjust the effects on the web.
Other:
  • It's tall damn :). I am 5' 8" and I have to use a stool to work with anything in the sump or tank. This is not really a con but just a short person awareness thing even though I am considered average height.

Antics

Hi Nando!

How are you liking the 260 so far? I know you're only a few days in but I'm also going to be going the RSM route on a new tank. I actually chose the C-250 instead of the E series because my wife can't stand the light bleed issues. I'll be curious to know if that ever bothers you? I love the look of rimless but hate the lack of a standard frame/canopy. What a catch-22!

nando2323

Hi Nando!

How are you liking the 260 so far? I know you're only a few days in but I'm also going to be going the RSM route on a new tank. I actually chose the C-250 instead of the E series because my wife can't stand the light bleed issues. I'll be curious to know if that ever bothers you? I love the look of rimless but hate the lack of a standard frame/canopy. What a catch-22!

I like it very much so far. I almost bought the C250 until I saw the E260 was released. I went with it mostly because of the new features specially LED lighting. The lights don't bother me. Mine is setup in my finished basement and it looks awesome even with only rocks in it. Also I think with rimless. Salt creep isn't as much as an issue. Because there's no canopy for it to stick to which I like. I put on a screen because I have curious little hands that will try to get a "closer" look but it still looks awesome.

Antics

I like it very much so far. I almost bought the C250 until I saw the E260 was released. I went with it mostly because of the new features specially LED lighting. The lights don't bother me. Mine is setup in my finished basement and it looks awesome even with only rocks in it. Also I think with rimless. Salt creep isn't as much as an issue. Because there's no canopy for it to stick to which I like. I put on a screen because I have curious little hands that will try to get a "closer" look though but it still looks awesome.
The screen will stop curious little hands and astronaut fish as well! I think some type of lid or screen is a must have for rimless!

nando2323

Here's an updated picture of it. The cloudiness is starting to go away. I'm contemplating putting in the mechanical filter to see if it goes away. But I been cycling with no filters or skimmer. Just flow.

bNNhSOoh.jpg

Antics

How long has the BRS dry rock been in the system? Is there a downside to using the pumps/skimmer to cycle the system? If the skimmer has a break in period you might kill two birds with one stone while you're waiting on cycle.

I've never used the BRS Fiji, as I've always selected the Reef Saver for cure reasons. I'm planning to use Pukani which I have read is a huge pain for curing the rock properly. I've always used dry rock in my aquariums but have never been willing to wait it out. This time I kind of had three months to kill before the aquarium was delivered so I just threw the rock in a brute and have been doing 100% water changes every week. Haven't tested or dosed it at all so who knows if I accomplished anything!

nando2323

How long has the BRS dry rock been in the system? Is there a downside to using the pumps/skimmer to cycle the system? If the skimmer has a break in period you might kill two birds with one stone while you're waiting on cycle.

I've never used the BRS Fiji, as I've always selected the Reef Saver for cure reasons. I'm planning to use Pukani which I have read is a huge pain for curing the rock properly. I've always used dry rock in my aquariums but have never been willing to wait it out. This time I kind of had three months to kill before the aquarium was delivered so I just threw the rock in a brute and have been doing 100% water changes every week. Haven't tested or dosed it at all so who knows if I accomplished anything!

From what I researched they say just run the skimmer for a bit to break it in and I did the first two days. But don't put in any of the filters. I'm a total newb to this though and Im going by purely research. The dry Fiji was pretty clean I guess my ammonia is way up now but nitrites and nitrates are still low which I think is normal for only 4 days in. I'm also using Red Sea Reef Mature pro to cycle and everything seems normal all the tests are spot on according to the manual.

nando2323

Water is crystal clear now and ammonia reached zero this morning :). Will check on Nitrites and see where I stand and might be able to get the Clean Up Crew going this weekend. I have some algae growing but it's like stuck to the rock mostly and dark green and some light green hair algae in a few spots. I think by tomorrow I will get some of the crew in there.

vhzCLzw.jpg

Antics

I'm so conflicted! I'm leaning towards BB/ Reef Flakes/ Fiji Pink! So hard to make the decision.

nando2323

I'm so conflicted! I'm leaning towards BB/ Reef Flakes/ Fiji Pink! So hard to make the decision.

I basically just went with the Fiji pink because it was the popular choice. It took over a week to settle though. I ended up putting the mechanical filter in to help it clear up the cloudiness.