Just brought a c130

Patrick King

Hey all,

Just brought a 2nd hand C130, going to be collecting tomorrow can't wait. Will be the first marine I have had for several years.

What's the best substrate for RSM C130?
What do you peeps recommend or what would you do differently from the beginning?

mr_tap_water

Welcome to the forum,

Will be looking forward to seeing your new system in the near future don't forget lots of pictures as it is nice to see your progress.[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveK

On substrate, I would replace whatever you get with the tank. The typical "best" substrate for a reef system is usually aragonite sand. This comes in a lot of variations. I recommend a fairly small gran size, about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch. Avoid the super fine "sugar sand" since it gets blown all over by the filtration system and circulation pumps.

As for sand bed depth, you can use anything between no sand at all and a 4" deep sand bed. I use about 1 1/2 inches, but for a smaller tank like you have I'd use a bit less, about 1 inch deep. However I wouldn't call any other depth, or no sand bed at all wrong.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 ^

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie: