Jumpiest fish ever.... lol

blue_eyes53813

Ok Is " Jumpiest" even a word..?? lol :look: . I got a couple new fish over the weekend one being a red spot goby.. It is the cutest thing ever.. That fish will not stop jumping... LITERALLY.. The thing jumped from the tank to my sump which is a good foot - a foot and a half away... I saw it fly out of the tank and I ran as fast as I could to the fish room frantically looking for it, Watching where I step and watching so the cat didn't come in the room cussing the whole time.... I gave up after about 15 minutes and thought it was gone.... I turned and looked at it was looking at me from the sump... :hallo:

I got a net and trying to scoop it out of the sump it jumped out of the sump. I finally got it back in the tank flipping and flopping ... I saw it go into the rocks,,,

I put a temporary cover over the tank. We had some metal pieces in the basement. I didnt have enough to cover the whole tank so I covered the back side where it seems to be going for..

I was watching it most of the day and the damn thing is constantly jumping for no reason...

Bam bam ... It hits the metal piece above the tank... i dont know what to do with it...... Its gonna break its neck,,,,, Any ideas??

cbrownfish

Sounds like it is either half nuts :D or something is chasing it around. You will need to find a suitable cover or put it in a nano that is covered (or take it back). Many use plastic/acrylic lighting diffuser panels that you can get from Lowe's. The down side is that it blocks some light.

lcstorc

Sounds like you got a bluespot.
I would do the same as I do for them as use eggcrate covered with window screen. At least until he calms down. Hopefully he will settle in and be a good little fishie.

rmlevasseur

Don't trust the eggcrate alone. Somebody here claimed they had a fish jump through it and I just didn't believe it. Sure enough, one of mine jumped through and died on the floor :(

blue_eyes53813

Well I left him in the sump and covered that with the metal pieces... he is soooooooooooooo lucky to keep landing in the sump... It is a good foot- foot and 1/2 away... I dont have egg crate right now to put over the tank.. I am gonna have to get some and make a cover real fast... This Fish is suicidal... I dont think he could of went through the over flow.. It is covered real good... I can not believe it...

blue_eyes53813

here is a shot at how far he is jumping..:dunno: I can not believe it.. I seen it jump out as I was watching it when I first added it to the tank.. It shot out like a rocket,, lol :dunno:

Attachments

• sump-fish-jump.jpg
    sump-fish-jump.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 44

blue_eyes53813

SSSHHHH! Nobody move please.... Here is the psycho jumping lunatic. He is back in the main tank " Hiding" I got him out of the sump AGAIN after he jumped out of the net twice and splashed me in the face.. CRAZY FISH:cool:

Attachments

• jumping-goby.jpg
    jumping-goby.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 26

prow

lol, smart fish..i have seen a few that loved to jump, they never did stop. had tanks all around but they always jumped to the same ones, they knew where they wanted to go. different type fish though, hope yours relaxes soon.

blue_eyes53813

Well I found him on the floor this morning... I tried everything I had to keep that bugger in the tank. It jumped on the opposite side away from the sump..

RIP little guy... I feel so bad...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sorry for your loss Vicki. You gave it your BEST and I don't know anything else that could have been done. Again so sorry.... :cry1:

prow

:smck: stupid is stupid does,............not you the fish:updown: sorry about the loss, he was a cute little guy.

better now then later, though. you know after you get attached. jumpers like that usually dont stop, IME..