Juice’s 54 Gallon Build

jgking21

Thanks for coming along!!!
I first must Thank Everyone for all the past threads, I’ve learn so much and can’t wait to build this set up out!
Here is the set up:
Picture.jpg

Plans for the set up, REEF!!! I’ve got a 250w M/H that I will hang from the ceiling. As for live stock I am undecided at this point, I am looking to do mainly hard corals and I would like a clam. My rock formation will be two columns with a bridge in the middle, working on the rocks with epoxy putty (pics to come).

Sump/Fuge: I was going to run a 20 gallon long, here is the idea:
fuge.jpg

Skimmer: most likely the ASM-G1
I've got a Catalina CA-2200 for a return pump. The tank's overflow is rated at 400 GPH and the pump is rated at max. 800 GPH, but with head loss I should be down under 400.

This is where I am now and I wanted to get the plumbing set up done before I move any further so I can begin the cycle.

Comments and modifications are greatly appreciated!

Plenty of pictures to come throughout the process!

jgking21

Question: With the slower flow rate of 400 gph with the overflow, would this be a better set up? It is at least easier for plumming. My concern is will the 400 gph be enough for the skimmer but still slow enough for the fuge to do its thing.

fugeidea-1.jpg

Thanks for the input!

jgking21

Question First: Do I glue the overflow and return tubes to the bulkheads to create a complete seal? I don't want a leak right off the bat, Thanks!

Here are a few pictures of what I've worked on the last few days. I'll be going out of town on Saturday so won't start to fill the tank until next week. I'm so ready!!!

Tank-Sump.jpg

RocksInTank.jpg

RocksTogether.jpg

jgking21

Update:
Day 1 - April 12th! I had the tank filled and salinity on its way up. Then last night in finished filling and started the fuge!

Well I went with easy plumbing design for the fuge. I think I'm going to go with the Vertex IN-100, (Gen II Vertex Internal Pinwheel Skimmer 100: Premium Aquatics), for the protien skimmer. The 180 is too large for the skimmer area in my fuge.

Also, I did not glue with bulkheads to the drain and return tubes in the overflow. I thought, "I would have to unscrew the bulkheads just to get the tubes out", and that would have been a huge problem!

For flow I've got a Koralia 2, a Koralia 1 and the Catalina 2200 return pump (I'm estimating a little under 400 gph there). I'm going to change this up and run (2) Koralia 1's and a Nano (down low to sand) and the return.

I've got (2) 100 watt heaters for now. I'll be running M/H lights, so I'll have to see how well it heats the tank.

Lighting will be hung this weekend!

Now for the photos: (desk lamp for light now, not good!)
Tank4-14.jpg

Tank-Sump4-14.jpg

jgking21

Here's the tank as of today! I still need to add more sand to the DT and Fuge.

Tank4-21withFlash.jpg

That is a 250 Watt 20K Bulb, so here's a shot without Flash, the room is nice and blue!
Tank4-21withoutFlash.jpg

I've done 2 parameter tests using the API Test Kit:
4/16 - 1.024 Salinity, 8.4 pH, 0.5 Ammonia, 0.25 Nitrite, and 5 Nitrate
4/20 - 1.022 Salinity, 8.2 pH, 0.5 Ammonia, 0.25 Nitrite, and 5 Nitrate
Added a bunch of water to test the max. fill for the sump, that is why I believe salinity dropped, plus I'm using a Hydrometer at this time.

It is coming along! (Big Cheezy Grin on My Face)

jgking21

Thank You!

Question Time:
I'm getting lots of bubbles out of the Drain Line into the sump and I'm starting to see a potential problem. This is where all my electronics are kept so I don't want extra salt creep if I can stop it. I've seen that 1 1/2" can hold 1800 gph and 1" can hold 600 gph, and I'm pushing somewhere around 400 gph with my return pump. Could I reduce the drain line from 1 1/2" to 1"? Should this make a difference in the amount of air in the drain line?

Pool Man

I'm running a 1" on my return/drain line (same Pump) without any problems. Two overflows tee'd together. I do get alot of "sloshing" around in the skimmer/return chamber, but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

jgking21

Thanks Pool Man, I had started a thread specifically to that problem and got an answer. I added a Filter Sock and that took 99% of the bubbles out.

I added another 20 lbs of sand this morning. I'm up to 65 lbs between the fuge and tank and think I'm going to add another 20 soon. Also, I plan to add 2 deli shrimp tonight to help the cycle. I tested yesterday and have pretty much the same results.

I hope to add the Protien Skimmer next week to test the entire system. I've decided to go with the Vertex and will be placing the order on Monday! :) I'll post pics when it arrives.

jgking21

Today is a good day! I'm leaving for Florida for a fishing trip, then when I return to NC on Monday I will have my 25 Gallon Tank in tow! I left it there when I moved here in March. I've talked my g/f into letting me keep both tanks running, I'm so happy! The 25 will go in my office and I will use it mainly as a QT for now. I do have some corals to transfer when the time is right.

As for the 54, here are the last 3 tests:
Date, Salinity, Temp., Ph, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate
4/29/09, 1.023, 80, 7.8, 1.00, 1.00, 20
5/2/09, 1.024, 80, 7.8, .25, 5.0, 20
5/6/09, 1.025, 81, 8.3, 0-0.25, 1.0, 20

On 4/29 I removed the deli shrimp that had been in for several days, I think I may have missed the Ammonia Spike and caught the Nitrite Spike. I added a Ph buffer last night, looked like it worked pretty well! As I said I'm heading out of town so we will see the results when I return.

Thanks Nick! For fish I'm looking at a clown (maybe pair), a goby or blenny, and I would like a Kole Tang. I read recently about them being the smallest and may work in this size tank. I built the rock work so that no rocks touch the glass. This give them about a 5' circle to swim around the entire tank. I'm more into the corals, the fish are just so people don't always ask why ther are no fish in a fish tank, cause everything else is alive. I usually don't have fish in the 25.

Here's a link to the skimmer thread I started:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/equipment/46292-my-new-vertex-skimmer.html

And the latest FTS:
Tankwflash5-6.jpg

Thanks for stopping in!!!

jgking21

Todays Parameters:
Salinity: 1.025
Temp.: 80
pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20

Looks like I'm through my cycle! I brought back my 25 Gallon Tank, I had to Green Chromis in there and gave those to my brother. I also had one peppermint shrimp so I put him in the 54 Gallon Tank. He's been in for 2 days and looks fine. I'll be doing a water change soon to get the nitrates down and then probably get a small CUC. The first fish will probably be either a clown or blenny/goby and hope to have one next week. I'm going to the Asheville Aquarium this weekend, I'm excited about that! My only real concern is that I have only seen a tiny (and I mean tiny) bit of algea on the glass. Should I be getting some now that the cycle is over?

jgking21

Thanks guys! I'm really happy with where it's heading, I'm just really ready to start adding some color! I think I'll be dropping some frags from the 25 into the tank next week!

jgking21

He's never bothered anything in the 25 except the aptasia!

First fish is still undecided, but thinking blenny or goby. I'll probably get corals going first, not to worried about the fish I put in. And I'll be very selective since I won't be able to hold alot. Also, I've stayed away for fish stores, I'm affraid I'll wined up picking something up!