Josh's SuperReef 65

StirCrayzy

Possibly bryopsis also. The Tang picks away at all of these, but can't eat enough to maintain growth. I pull and trim as much as I can reach during WCs.
The branches on the red one are about 2mm diameter, I think not gracialara.

StirCrayzy

So I'm at home depot looking at Christmas stuff, and saw a three pack of these remote outlet switches.
No more jogging from the DT to the basement to shut off the pump in the WC tub when the tanks full.

StirCrayzy

Had to pull the scrubber and clean the slot real good. Too much algae growth clogging the flow and trickling down the pipe.

I noticed the salt creep last week but Saturday a.m. there were actually a couple drips outside the box. I've been putting off building a light shield to keep the growth away from the slot. Maybe before Christmas.

cracker

Josh , This is a very good real life chronicle. You have been thru a lot of the same stuff I have ! I'm most impressed with how You managed to fit so much under the tank! Here I am whining about not having enough room.

StirCrayzy

It helped that I took over a year to build it. Literally 20 minutes at a time, during break time & lunches at work I would go up in the storage loft and tinker.
A few things warranted an hour or more at a time.
Sealing the stand, and welding the light fixture stand out.

Thanks for dropping by!

cracker

Stir, I'm looking at your scrubber, I see a wall on each side isolating the water& screen,then a space and then a second set of walls. Do your lights fit into the space created by the second set of walls? How wide is the space?

StirCrayzy

it's 3/4" slot for the plate and LEDs
You can't see, but to the outsides, I've drilled a 1/4" hole below the LED level to let water out in case of seal failure of the center section. This is sitting on my sump, so no worry of water loss.

cracker

I kinda get it. Looks very compact which is what I'm looking for. I may jack your thread and ask more about them later. Thanks!

StirCrayzy

These remote switches I bought have a MAJOR problem. They default to OFF position when supply power is interrupted. Guess I won't be able to use it for my return after all. I'm sure there is some safety concerns that makes sense in the intended design, just not for things you want to fire up when the power kicks back on... Oh well .

StirCrayzy

Also today I got some PhosGuard and added one cup to my BRS Reactor on top of my carbon.
I have full flow running through it (mj1200). Hoping this helps knock out some of my macro growth.

I have to say after running ChemiPureBlue for 6 weeks, I didn't notice much difference in algae recession or any significant improvement to coral health. ?? Maybe I just didn't notice though, if it did any good.

cracker

Stir. How do you secure the ats over your sump? brackets that just sit on top or something? I assume it sits over the fug. Is there Lr in it? do you light the fuge separate from the scrubber? Thanks Man I'm sure to think of more, LOL

StirCrayzy

I made it 12" long to light a 10x4 screen. I glued pcs of acrylic to the bottom to fit the inside lip of my sump.
Yes it sits over the fuge which is more of a low flow mini display with 2"sand, 15 lbs LR. There's a window through my side door, so I can put stuff in there for the kids to call their own. Right now just a CUC and Pep shrimp.
It's lit by three LEDs hanging off the side of the scrubber, and on the same light schedule (5am-2pm, 5pm-1am).
I'm just starting to get good growth in the last couple months, since lowering light intensity and adding diffusers in front of the LEDs. There was Browning out of the growth right in front of the diodes, so I may add an extra and lower the intensity a bit more still. Later.

cracker

Stir I see now what the over the back bracket is for. (in post 167) You have lights there for the fug! I thought it was some type of heatsink because the lights were in that narrow slot. Hey I'm a little slow,but I get it eventually! I saw the window with one of Your sons peeking in. What a cool thing for a youngster to imagine or whatever. Hey Man Thanks for taking time to show me details. Anything new with Your build?

StirCrayzy

Not much new, just tweaking the scrubber, and trying different reactor medias.
Hopefully making another coral order soon.
I got julians thing , salt, PhosGuard, and some float switches for Christmas.

I currently have three water alarms right now that are the conductive sensors. One in the DT, one in sump, and one( face down) in the carpet behind the tank. The problem is, the 2 in sump&DT trip when they get condensation, or just a light splash. My idea is to splice the lead and add a circuit for the float switches to trip at high water level in each area. The float & conductive sensors should still work independently per alarm to complete the circuit and sound off. This will allow other spill prone coverage options in the sump and on the carpet. Well see when I have time now.
I just did a WC yesterday, and gonna start doing once per week until this algae is under control, and the scrubber can maintain it. Corals are all doing great except for.a.couple zoas that shrunk.

cracker

I get lost when You guys start talking about electronic gadgets and such. I soaked my carpet so many times I just tossed it all and painted the slab!

Basile

I get lost when You guys start talking about electronic gadgets and such. I soaked my carpet so many times I just tossed it all and painted the slab!

This is the way to go budd lol.

001.jpg

You shopvack the rest $64 at lowes. Its made for water even saltwater...

http://www.lowes.ca/shop-vacuums/shop-vac-6-gal-3-peak-hp-wetdry-shop-vacuum_g1195001.html

Got one I return the expensive one lol.

Sorry for your troubles man .

StirCrayzy

You did return the dark side's R2D2 ?
My Living room is the last room in the house that needs to be re carpeted, so "if" there were to be a major disaster, I could sell it to the wife as "upgrade" time. Maybe.

cracker

There You go an upgrade!, I'm single so I got away with rustolium garage floor paint. Just about the least expensive upgrade I can think of. I came out pretty good. I sweep and mop and that's it. I made it back from the darkside,The force was with me so I will stick with this scrubber,If only UPS would deliver my lights! I gotta wait till friday!