Josh's SuperReef 65

StirCrayzy

Thanks, I think youre right on the I'd, I check around a few sites this morning and couldn't find a match, but searching that specifically came up with some visual matches.

StirCrayzy

these are the new additions thanks to Ben @ ascension aquatics !
Don't mind the GHA, and aips. I gotta get the good camera out to try and get colors right, but for now the phone will have to do.

StirCrayzy

Next project is a new water change reservoir. The old barrell just sat on the floor of my basement, but now I'll be able to set it 6' higher on a shelf. So it was born of the need to declutter my basement, and save some head pressure on the pump.
I did some plastics research and came up with this as the most cost effective and space friendly.
Water test tomorrow after the silicone sets up, I put a really good bead around the inside of the bulkheads since I installed them backwards and the thread side doesn't usually seal well.

Last edited:

Basile

WOW looks good and efficient man, Cool! great job!!

tumblr_m46g6gKn311qeii60o1_400.gif

StirCrayzy

So far so good, ran it for about 6 hrs yesterday, and left it full overnight in the garage. Leak free!
Also I never considered uniseals, but may keep a couple on hand just in case something goes awry.
I have some shelves to install for the wife tomorrow before I'm permitted to move this thing in and get it mixin some SW!

StirCrayzy

Now just need to remember to add salt. WC tomorrow with the new setup. I'm actually pretty excited to try it out.

StirCrayzy

Hi, I'm Josh and I've not seen my tank in 4 days. I'm suffering severe withdrawls, and I need help.

Being on vacation is nerve racking, especially since my tank sitter is here with us!
I literally "set it and forget it " when it comes to the tank, not touching anything for a week, but it's the unknown that's drivin me nuts. I have no reason to believe anything could go wrong.
I bought a Foscam when the baby was born to alternately watch the tank when not at home, but it is strangely disfunctional when I try to access via my mobile app, and customer service folks haven't been much help.
Oh well, I'm just going under the assumption that all is well and I've got nothing to worry about.
Just enjoyed my first short track NASCAR race at Bristol, and now we're just hangin out in TN

StirCrayzy

I got my SW fix at the Ripleys Aquarium in Gatlinburg today, very nice place, highly interactive.
The kids (and I) could touch stingrays, jellyfish, and horseshoe crabs. And their underwater tunnel was SUPERB!
I would go back there in a heartbeat.:bigbounce

StirCrayzy

8 days away, and gotta say, it's good to be home. All is well.
Brewing a fresh batch of 20g RODI and leaving it running (overflowing) really gets me back into the routine ;)

StirCrayzy

I still need to troubleshoot my Brutes overflow, for WC water. the full length of the 1/4" drain line is sloping downward so I'm not sure why it doesn't flow out when filling with RODI.
I'll try again this weekend before WC. I think I'll try attaching a T to the end to the RO waste line so maybe it will draw water through by vacuum.

Figured I'd do a little algae battle update.

Startup Nov.2013

Almost the worst of the GHA, March 2014

4th of July

TODAY!
The battle continues, but the scrubber is going good and the GHA is receding.
Now I'm starting to see other algae types popping up that I've never seen in my tank before.
Bought some ChemiPure Blue to throw in the reactor this weekend, and I'm hoping it's enough to stop the progression, and then the ATS should be able to maintain.

StirCrayzy

So I'm on week two of CPB, and no noticeable changes in algae growth/recession. The algaes that were receding before(GHA), are still, and those that were increasing are still also.

I'm going to try and get some pictures together for ID, but I have never had these macros growing in my system before. I assume they are now flourishing because the competition GHA is almost gone.

I believe them to be...
Grape caulerpa
Red gracialara?
Bryopsis
And a few other unknowns.

I can't say any, except the bryopsis, are unsightly, but I'm still going to keep pulling excess out with water changes.

StirCrayzy

For the Brute overflow issue, I added a T to my RODI waste line.
Hopefully it creates enough vacuum flowing past the overflow to pull out any air and help the water get started.

StirCrayzy

Wow, it's been a while since I've updated, obviously nobody minds much...;)

Tank is stable and cooking along basically on autopilot. I change 25% every other wk, though I'll admit the last WC was more like 3.5 weeks because of the holiday. I've noticed my toadstool is the first to show signs of distress when I wait too long, all the polyps were retracted, and a slight film of algae started growing on it. So I took action.
I've been running CPB in a reactor for over a month now, and probably no noticeable change in the tank. Everything that was growing still is, and the couple zoa frags that shriveled prior, are still.
SPS are encrusting and growing more from the base, is that normal?
Exception to the birdsnest and monti(spongode), growing like crazy in every direction.

Still getting average algae growth from the scrubber, but also still seeing growth in the DT too.
Mostly the new macros are growing all over, but still haven't had good pics to post. I have to pull the new growth every WC, which is why I put it off longer than I should. The water part only takes 15 minutes, I just can't do that alone and not the other maintenance so I never feel like I have enough time to do it all at once.

The most recent changes now....

9-2 Added a reg firefish to QT, my oldest boy has wanted one for a while.
10-2 Firefish had a white fuzz. gave FW bath and metrodinazole.
11-2 Firefish seems good eats well through all conditions. prazipro treatment.
11-19 added a red tux urchin and peppermint shrimp to DT
11-25 Added firefish to DT no signs of disease or distress.

I've only seen the firefish about 3 times in the first two weeks, now it's out all the time. I suspect the Tomini (Bob) was harassing it bad. When it finally came out it was pretty thin, but fattening up now, as I've upped feedings to accommodate.

I posted these coral feeding observations in another thread, but applies here also. I have only return flow in the DT between 9pm & 11am, 2 WP25s are shut down with the Blue LEDs at night .

Generally both SPS & LPS PE is greater with the powerheads shut down. Less water force allows for father reach because, instinctively, the polyps aren't at as much risk of damage by the flow .
They can actually capture more mid sized particles with that lower flow. Because the velocity of incoming food is gentler, and Polyps are covering more area.
Kinda like fishing approaches, you can drag a treble hook through the water really fast and probably snag some food once in a while, but sweep a net through and double the haul with half the effort.

I usually feed cyclopeze twice a week after dark, and the dwell time of food, in the water column is better IMO than blowing it into the rocks and at the surface into the overflow. I wish I could get a good pic with my UVs on at night feedings, but I usually see individual polyps grasping cyclopeze or other particles more than during high flow Daytime periods.
That's my observations, anyway.
The fact that bodies of water in general are calmer through the nighttime hours when there is less wind, and tidal water movements, I think are what actually creates the nocturnal feeding behaviours naturally.

StirCrayzy

FTS

Unknown macros...

Leafy type on this Acan.

Growth shots
6 heads

Inflated

Don't know what this is but I just cut down one about twice the size to trade in.

Monti spongode? original frag circled, only grows from what encrusted.

Yuma growing a baby on the back of the plug.

Last edited:

Basile

Any ideas on the macros, ? You've got more ID experience than I do.

The spongy green one is Codium reediae , the little oval leafy one is a caulerpa close to profilera, but not quite could be an of shoot but same area very good nitrate exporter not dangerous if you trim every week, Tangs and foxfaces love that it won't last long with them around. the red one is hard to tell it could be Ogo ,Gracilaria parvispora but it seem too big too coarse the picture is too close lol anyway you have good variety lol . None are invasive really, you have hair algae of course lol. And other things i can't make out .