JET's new Bangkok 230g tank

Haaileybop

Oh man that stinks! Well I am sure you will have better luck with the next guy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jetbkk

It is a little hard to see because of its position, but my Rose BTA has split into 2 or possibly 3 pieces today! Is it possible to split into 3? I never heard that before. These things really have a mind of their own.

Jetbkk

Here is my tank after being fallow for 6 weeks. It feels like forever! Most of the coral is looking good and growing, with the exception of most of the SPS that I had shipped in from Tonga, which never recovered from the unduly long transport (such a shame).

Fallow_1_zps47995b38.jpg

Fallow2_zps3d611ea5.jpg

Jetbkk

So... we all know how it goes. I went to visit a bunch of shops yesterday, absolutely sure I wasn't going to buy anything. I just wanted to look at some fish.

One of the very local shops had about 6 big pieces of green Montipora from local waters (Thailand, which is where I live). The prices were $13 a piece and I just couldn't walk away from that, no way! So I bought one big piece, which is approximately 10-12" at its widest. To be honest, I'm wondering now if I should buy another one today as it is very rare to see these here in the shops.. The others were flat pieces (but big) whereas this one has a bit of layering so I thought it was the best.

Does anyone know what type of Montipora this is?

Green_Montipora_1_zps499d6534.jpg

Green_Montipora2_zpsed640337.jpg

FTS_Green-Monti_zps7fd7f51a.jpg

Jetbkk

Thanks guys... I did actually buy another one as it was just too good to pass up. Since I sent a Thai friend over to buy it the price was only $8 for an 8" Montipora! Sure I would have preferred purple or orange, but these look cool too.

Jetbkk

Today I had someone come over and build a screen to cover the top of my DT. After having a Barlett jump out (plus a Mystery Wrasse that I bought and it jumped out of a shop tank that was holding it for me) I decided I couldn't risk it any longer. I will have a lot of Anthias and Wrasses in my tank after the fallow period (which ends next week!). It uses a custom built frame to fit the top of the tank perfectly and a nylon screen (not metal).

Here are some photos:

Top_Screen.jpg

Top-Screen2.jpg

Last edited:

Jetbkk

I'm a bit concerned that this nylon screen is block out too much light though. I couldn't tell in the daytime but at night it seems more obvious.

Any thoughts on this? It is a nylon screen like you would find in a screen door (small holes, not large ones).

Jetbkk

I also asked about this on Reef Central (I know, how dare I do that) and someone said window screen blocks 30% of the light - is that true? If so ill need to find something else :-(

tommyboynj

This tank is stunning. I used mesh found at home depot for keeping the birds off your strawberrys. Its about 1/4 inch mesh. I made my frames from bug screen framing kits.

Jetbkk

The fallow period on my tank is now over! 2 months seemed like 6. 25 fish (give or take) died from a massive Ich breakout, and only 4 survived. 3 are now back in my DT and the other (a Red Coris) I will give away. My 2 clowns and Black Leopard Wrasse are happy as hell to be out of that hospital tank! I'm really surprised that this Black Leopard ended up being one of the survivors -- they have a reputation for being very difficult but this little guy is a major fighter. He never stopped eating and while the others dropped like flies around him, he kept on going (through hypo-salinity, Cupramine, etc). I knew the clowns would make it (they were my first marine fish too, btw, purchased about 2.5 years ago now) but the Leopard is a real surprise.

Post_Fallow2.jpg

Post_Fallow1.jpg

Haaileybop

Looking good! I am glad your fish are all happy and healthy in your DT. That brain looks a lot like a neon green favia, but someone may need t confirm that for me.