Jeremy's 90 Gallon Build Mayhem!!

plecosword

Pics! whats up with the mushroom?

oh yea, I am assuming they were working before I decided they were broke and sent them in. I think it was a bad connection on one of the bulbs that was killing the circuit for the second two :(
but you said the ballast was making noise? bad connection would only make the location of poor electricity transfer the noisy source, in that case, it would sound cracky.

Jeremy0322

Pics! whats up with the mushroom?

but you said the ballast was making noise? bad connection would only make the location of poor electricity transfer the noisy source, in that case, it would sound cracky.

What mushrooms. And the noise is gone now, maybe the winding sound was just the ballast shutting off once it realized it was open circuit? The icecap ballasts are weird like that.

Jeremy0322

Ever have one of those moments where you could just look in the mirror and wonder how the person looking back at you could be so stupid...lol...I just had one of those. About a week ago I said something about needing a grounding probe because I thought I felt something when i put my hand in my tank. Well, I forgot about that, and never really had a reason to put my hand in my tank again until this evening. I felt bad for my cleaner shrimp, its a pretty clean system right now, so every so often I give him some flake with my hand, he grabs it and scurries away, no big deal. So, grab the food, open the canopy, and as my hand hits the water it actually stung...like...ALOT. I have a bunch of cuts on my hand so I decided to try the other hand assuming "maybe the saltwater was just stinging the cuts", so I put the other hand in there and wham, zapped again. Now im scared, so I start unplugging stuff..return pump, check...HK4..check..HK3...check...Hk1...check...heater...no more zappy. One of my stealth heaters was supplying a steady stream of the zap juice to my poor defenseless system. How dare it! Needless to say its hitting the garbage can pretty soon.

2 bags of carbon in the system already and 15 gallons of new saltwater mixing for a change tomorrow, I will do a few changes over the next few days and hopefully get anything out of the water I dont want in there either with the changes or the carbon. Everything seems alive, if it hurt me I would assume it would wreak some havoc on the CUC or the corals but everyone is moving, all corals were open today, and while checking for this the Mandarin was staring at me like I was an idiot :lol:

So, where can I get a cheap grounding probe from everybody...lol. I want to be sure this never happens again.

BLAKEJOHN

Dont throw that stealth away!!! THEY CARRY A LIFETIME WARRENTY. Call marine land @ 1-800-322-1266. I just recieved my replacement last week. Awesome customer service.

Jeremy0322

Dont throw that stealth away!!! THEY CARRY A LIFETIME WARRENTY. Call marine land @ 1-800-322-1266. I just recieved my replacement last week. Awesome customer service.

I just pulled it out of the garbage...lol...thanks for the heads up Blake, calling tomorrow!

Basile

Hi Jeremy, kina lost here about the heater thing. You where getting zap by electrical current from your heater????

And what is a ground probe???? So, where can I get a cheap grounding probe from everybody...lol. I want to be sure this never happens again.

Sorry i'm not following, too wet behind the ears lol.

Jeremy0322

If something happens to a seal or something like that on anything in your tank that uses electricity it can start leaking electricity into the tank. I use the term leaking for lack of a better word really, but as soon as the water hits something with a current going through it water is an awesome conductor and you can feel it anywhere in the tank. A grounding probe is just something that sits in the tank and then plugs into a ground in a wall outlet and in the event something like this happens it just lets the electricity pass right on through without hurting anything, but if the electricity has no where to go it can really mess with the stuff in the tank, in some cases total losses have resulted from stuff like this happening if whatever causes it is powerful.

Marinedepot.com Search results for 'grounding probe'
Aquarium Safety: Ultra-Ground Titanium Probe

In other news, Blake is my Hero of the Day, called the number, got an address, sending it in and getting a new heater..good stuff there, saved me 20 bucks, which will be used to buy a grounding probe.

Basile

If something happens to a seal or something like that on anything in your tank that uses electricity it can start leaking electricity into the tank. I use the term leaking for lack of a better word really, but as soon as the water hits something with a current going through it water is an awesome conductor and you can feel it anywhere in the tank. A grounding probe is just something that sits in the tank and then plugs into a ground in a wall outlet and in the event something like this happens it just lets the electricity pass right on through without hurting anything, but if the electricity has no where to go it can really mess with the stuff in the tank, in some cases total losses have resulted from stuff like this happening if whatever causes it is powerful.

Marinedepot.com Search results for 'grounding probe'
Aquarium Safety: Ultra-Ground Titanium Probe

In other news, Blake is my Hero of the Day, called the number, got an address, sending it in and getting a new heater..good stuff there, saved me 20 bucks, which will be used to buy a grounding probe.

Ok thanks, ah , one question, where do you get that probe, and how much usually. OK has you can see i need glasses , just saw the link and everything so for got the stupid question i just asked lol.I'll cut down on the drugs too , lol oh this one is warrented, do you put it in your DT or sump?

Jeremy0322

Ok thanks, ah , one question, where do you get that probe, and how much usually. OK has you can see i need glasses , just saw the link and everything so for got the stupid question i just asked lol.I'll cut down on the drugs too , lol oh this one is warrented, do you put it in your DT or sump?

The heaters are all in my sump, and i dont have a probe yet, it will be a purchase in the near future.

Jeremy0322

Ok, this should be a welcomed update for everyone, but first off its story time. Dad has what he calls the "triple threat" coming up, my stepmothers birthday is May 11th, Mothers day is May 10th, and their wedding anniversary is the 10th, so all of them wrapped up usually results in one big present. This year it was something we can all use. She is into photography, and dad decided it was time to get her a real camera, and it came early. She woke up this morning to unwrap a Canon EOS Rebel Xis with a 3 lens kit, pretty pimpin camera if I dont say so myself. She went to bed after using it ALL day and I got my turn, all I can really say is WHOA! Some of the pictures might be a little ugly, its my first time every using a real camera, and its taking a little getting used to.

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

Jeremy0322

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

Not ick, I had to turn the lights on for a while to take pics and he was in the middle of hunting and tried to bury in the sand to get away but seemed to be unsuccessful, so just sat there with sand all over him. The lights were also why alot of the corals look cranky, they had to open back up and everything :lol:
IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

Jeremy0322

Also figured I would throw a few pics of Tyco and Tie on here because I took them...haha. And yea, there is hair everywhere, tyco decided recently it was a sweet idea to shed, and with how much those 2 wrestle it comes out pretty quick. They were in time out in the kitchen because they are soooo bad ALL the time..lol

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

Basile

Ahhh we can't forget are best friends can we Jeremy. Basile is always there when i need a picker upper LOl. Your tank looks cool, i love the wood, anything with wood, tank top and stand i love. Mine came in black but what can you do lol. I'm gona do like you; start my frag small so they can move along the sculpture and mostly keep the original shape more or less. Lets celebrate :bday1: :bouncer: :colorful: ;) :dunce: :dance: :hallo: :wave: :thumbup: :jumprope: :nopity: :bluenod: :jester:

Jess

HEY JEREMY, THOSE ARE SOME GREAT PICS!!!!! teeeeheeeee

Seriously though, my faves are the ones of your pups! My doggy is my life. Oh, and my tanks! :D

Jeremy0322

HEY JEREMY, THOSE ARE SOME GREAT PICS!!!!! teeeeheeeee

Seriously though, my faves are the ones of your pups! My doggy is my life. Oh, and my tanks! :D

There are more pictures coming too, I got home and instantly started playing with the new toy. Its been way too long since I had a new piece of electronics to play with, how I miss it! Now, if photobucket didnt take forever this would be better, but ill post them up when they are done.

Basile

Hey check mine , i bough a new camera because mine was shot, i'm still practicing but i got some shots already. Lets see those pics my friend. Its a contest lol.