Jeremy's 90 Gallon Build Mayhem!!

Jeremy0322

Good Morning everyone!! Test was taken, think I did pretty well, papers are done already, and there is now a 20 gallon tank next to the RO unit for the good water, so now I dont have to empty the bucket 4 times a day :lol: Somehow im getting alot accomplished for only sleeping 3 hours last night :coffee2:

Jeremy0322

Update before I finally get some sleep. I gave the final Yes for the lighting today, so that will be coming sometime soon. I was also contemplating using a set of the PC bulbs for some extra light, If I have them I may as well, right? So, I will have 130 watts of PC light, and then 216 watts of T5 light, but its overdriven and will be the equivalent of 320 watts, meaning I should be able to keep just about anything I desire, not counting SPS on the sand :lol: Now I am just trying to figure out the best bulb arrangement for the T5's, because it comes with 13 bulbs :woohoo: Also, should the PC's be used at actinic light of daylight, and if so what would be the recommended K? Just realized no one here really knows what im talking about, here is the deal i picked up...

48" T5 retro with ICECAP660 ballast, 4 slr reflectors, endcaps and standoff with a lot of bulbs:

These bulbs has been used with the kit for approximately 6 months and are still in great shape...
-ATI Pro Color, ATI Blue Plus, Aquascience 15K Dual, UVL Super Actinic

These bulbs are barely used.. I bought these to play with the color combination's....
-(1) ATI Blue Plus
-(2) Aquascience Actinic Plus (22000k) (just like the ATI Blue Plus)
-(2) Aquascience 15K Special (just like the dual listed above)
-(1) Korrallen Zucht Fiji Purple :woohoo:
-(2) UVL Super Actinic
-(1) GE 6500k
-and some SLIMPAQ Actinic...

All of that for 285 shipped!!!

And...I added another 15 gallons of water to the 90, slowly but surely its getting fuller :thumbup:

All in all today was a positive day, everything seems to be going in the right direction, aside from the Coral tank having an algae bloom that has all the corals closed up pretty good, did a 20% water change, and will do another one in the morning, and then another one tomorrow night, and everything should be back to normal I would hope. I also threw the chaeto in that tank in an eggcrate box to hopefully deter the algae from further growing, not we will just cross our fingers and hope for the best.

JoJo

whats up Jeremy? sorry to be just subscribing to your build, but i'm here now...i really need to start looking at "new post" more often. i barely skimmed through your thread but will be doind some detailed reading to catch up. good luck

Jeremy0322

whats up Jeremy? sorry to be just subscribing to your build, but i'm here now...i really need to start looking at "new post" more often. i barely skimmed through your thread but will be doind some detailed reading to catch up. good luck

Good to have you here JoJo, better late than never. You will find reading this thread that we get off topic ALOT, so dont be surprised if there is only like 10 pages of actual reef related conversation :lol:

Yippee WATER!! You sound busy...a Brute trashcan from lowes works great for holding water.

Yea, I thought about that too. We even had an extra one, but I was using it to hold wood as I sawed it and missed once and cut a hole in the bottom :smack:

Another 18 gallons hit the tank by the way, we are almost at halfway point, and the unit seems to be going a little faster now. Im getting around 2 gallons an hour, so that makes me happy.

Jeremy0322

Sand and rock are in the tank, scape came out amazing in my opinion, but I did have alot of rock to work with so you will have that i guess. There will be pictures sometime tomorrow night, the water is all foggy right now, everything needs to settle. From there I am going to siphon off the top layer of the sand and get rid of all the gunk that settled on the bed. It would be my best guess that I only need another 30 gallons of water to fill the tank up, meaning that by tomorrow night the tank should be completely full and then I get to sit and wait...haha.

A few things did change though about halfway through. It was not as "cliff" like as I originally planned, that seemed too planned to me, so it is more of a stack with some sloping sides and such. Also, when I was putting the sand in the 4 inch bed that would be needed for a jawfish seemed really ugly to me, I got to about 3 and couldnt take it anymore, and instead of compromising the entire look of the tank for one fish i scrapped that idea, so there is about a 2 inch bed right now.

There is also a cave design just like the 55 using the same rock, but now there are about 5 entrances to the cave instead of 2, along with a TON of ledges for corals and stuff. I live that I fixed alot of the problems I had with the 55, makes me pretty happy right about now..haha

Jeremy0322

Tank is completely full now, but the camera isnt at home...i stirred everything up again last night though so its still murky in there.

new reefer 03

Update before I finally get some sleep. I gave the final Yes for the lighting today, so that will be coming sometime soon. I was also contemplating using a set of the PC bulbs for some extra light, If I have them I may as well, right? So, I will have 130 watts of PC light, and then 216 watts of T5 light, but its overdriven and will be the equivalent of 320 watts, meaning I should be able to keep just about anything I desire, not counting SPS on the sand :lol: Now I am just trying to figure out the best bulb arrangement for the T5's, because it comes with 13 bulbs :woohoo: Also, should the PC's be used at actinic light of daylight, and if so what would be the recommended K? Just realized no one here really knows what im talking about, here is the deal i picked up...

48" T5 retro with ICECAP660 ballast, 4 slr reflectors, endcaps and standoff with a lot of bulbs:

These bulbs has been used with the kit for approximately 6 months and are still in great shape...
-ATI Pro Color, ATI Blue Plus, Aquascience 15K Dual, UVL Super Actinic

These bulbs are barely used.. I bought these to play with the color combination's....
-(1) ATI Blue Plus
-(2) Aquascience Actinic Plus (22000k) (just like the ATI Blue Plus)
-(2) Aquascience 15K Special (just like the dual listed above)
-(1) Korrallen Zucht Fiji Purple :woohoo:
-(2) UVL Super Actinic
-(1) GE 6500k
-and some SLIMPAQ Actinic...

All of that for 285 shipped!!!
:bugout: :bugout: :bugout: :bugout: :bugout: :bugout: :bugout:
mind sharing a link? lol. i have a local trying to sell me a 6 bulb ATI fixture ( no price yet )

PS take pics with your phone before we throw our food at you lol

Jeremy0322

:bugout: :bugout: :bugout: :bugout: :bugout: :bugout: :bugout:
mind sharing a link? lol. i have a local trying to sell me a 6 bulb ATI fixture ( no price yet )

PS take pics with your phone before we throw our food at you lol

Well, sadly, the camera is MIA right now, I didnt lose it but its not mine...whatever I suppose. As for the light, no pics of that either, they are somewhere on his thread on another forum but I didnt save them, its the same on Michael linked me too, its just used

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5...y_High-Output_Retrofit_Kit_w!_Bulbs_by_IceCap

Jeremy0322

update before I fall asleep. Pictures are on hold again because the person with the camera had it in their room when they fell asleep at 9pm, so that kinda screwed me. I will get pics tomorrow, the water is finally clear enough to take good ones anyways.

The sump is operational, however I cant get the flow bell as quiet as I want it, so I need to read through the instructions again and fiddle with that some more tomorrow afternoon. But, its running. All plumbing is done, there was a problem because the mag 9.5 pushes more water than the overflow pulls, which I didnt think about when I did all of this, but the installation of a T and then a separate line with a ball valve solved that pretty quickly, so all is better.

Aquascape is where I want it now, I moved a few things and added a few things and took some stuff out, we all know how that goes. I am still looking for a way to make the rock work solid, there are a few pieces that need to be held down in my opinion, but the best way to do that escapes me. I tried using the aqua-stick stuff and it didnt hold, and zip ties werent working really well either, so I need to figure something else out. Ideas?

I have been slowly working on the livestock list for this tank, and I think sometime in the next few days I am going to be setting up a 20 long and a 10 gallon tank as QT tanks so I can start buying now, that way by the time it cycles they will be ok'd. Havent really come to any final decisions. Here is what I currently have..

Purple Tang
Lawnmower Blenny (Maybe being replaced)
6 line wrasse
(2) Ocellaris clowns (maybe being replaced)
Red Scooter Blenny (being replaced)

I would like to add these...

Blue (Regal) Tang (Maybe yellow bellied?)
Mandarin Goby(s) (in place of the Scooter Blenny)
Black and White Ocellaris Clowns (in place of the current)
Royal Gramma
Regal Angel (still considering it, current list may be too aggressive for it)
Flame Angel (if not regal than this)
Pink Spotted Watchman Goby
Cleaner Wrasse (Scott and a few others have had good luck with them, once system is established I wouldnt mind giving one a try)

Clean Up Crew Options...
(2-3) Blood Red Fire Shrimp
(2) Serpant Stars
Sand Sifting Star
Long Spine Urchin (maybe, have not decided on that one yet)
Nassarius, Turbo, and Astrae Snails, havent come up with exact amounts yet
There will be no hermits in this tank, or will there be any Mythrax crabs, heard enough bad stories about them, dont want to add another one.
Carpet Anemone(Probably not until after the move. Everyone has BTA's and I would like to go a different route, plus Carpets are awesome creatures. BTA's are still an option, but would rather get the carpet.)
Debelius' Reef Lobster (Also been considering this for a few days now, but still need to do a lot of research on it, dont know much other than its my two favorite colors and isnt seen very often in the hobby, probably for a reason, but I dont know that reason yet)

This is just a working list so that I dont miss anything I was currently thinking about. I am also looking into a few different anthias, pseudochromis, and a variation of the pink spotted goby called the Sleeper Blue Dot Goby.. Note that NOT ALL OF THIS WILL BE ADDED, just getting ideas together.

The new lighting that I am sending payment for tomorrow should be good for almost any coral, and there are too many possabilities to list here, but know that im not limiting myself anymore, I would like to try a little of everything, maybe even a clam. It will be 4 overdriven 54watt T5 bulbs on an IceCap 660 ballast with individual reflectors, for am equivalent total of somewhere around 340 watts of light just on the T5's, and then I will be running the supplemental morning and night period lights using the old PC equipment I have, for another 130 watts of actinic light. I am going to read up on parabolic reflectors and try to make some crappy reflectors for the PC's using the big reflector out of the Old Current USA PC fixture I have.

I have also been thinking about filtration needs and wants on my part, and with the skimmer, sand, rock, and fuge (chaeto, 4 inch sand bed, and mangroves) I am still going to want a little more I think. I would like to make a DIY phosban reactor out of this...
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc284/Jeremy0322/CIMG6017.jpg
Can that be done, or is that much more work than its work. Its the same shape, but the inlet and return pumps are in the wrong areas, but with my immense knowledge of these things that doesnt mean its possible, I dont know whats going on.

Alright, I think thats it for now :lol:

JoJo

thats a nice detailed list, i cant help much as i'm not good at stocking. when added up what is the fishs' inch per gallon?

Jeremy0322

thats a nice detailed list, i cant help much as i'm not good at stocking. when added up what is the fishs' inch per gallon?

I havent done that yet. Like I said, this wasnt a "final" list yet, and I am sure some will get bumped down and off before the tank is done. It will also kind of just be revised as I go along, I have never been the type to pick a few fish and then end up with only those fish, plans change :lol:

For the rock work: A masonary bit and threaded nylon rod with nuts works great, even better than doll rods.

The only problem I run into with that is the rocks are already in the tank and I dont really feel like moving them back out. I guess its an option, but I was looking for something much much easier :ponder2:

Awesome list. It is good to see ANGELS on there. :)

Good Luck...............PICTURES

~MICHAEL

Yea, the flame will add some color to the tank and the regal doesnt really need explaining, its just gorgeous. I will try to get pictures up as soon as I can.