JCGardner's 100

sambrinar

Quick question... when you placed the dry rock in the tank... did you feed the cycle with deli shrimp or anything?? Just checking... a little worried about the nem

jcgardner

I put several pieces of live rock from the 45, as well as sand, into the tank with the dry rock. I think this is why the spikes where very small. I'm doing 5g water changes every two days hoping to keep any future spikes at a minimum.

sambrinar

I put several pieces of live rock from the 45, as well as sand, into the tank with the dry rock. I think this is why the spikes where very small. I'm doing 5g water changes every two days hoping to keep any future spikes at a minimum.

about how many pounds of LR from the 45 are in there? I'm concerned about the bacteria and the current biload in the tank and you may get a HUGE cycle. Don't get me wrong I DO NOT want the nem, but I don't want you to lose it either.

jcgardner

I used about 40lbs of live rock from the 45 and about 20lbs of sand to seed this tank. Maybe why there was only a small cycle. I have set up a quarantine tank for the firefish just to give this tank more time to cycle before I introduce anymore fish and cause a larger cycle than what may already occur.

I thought about calling you to see if you wanted him but then I remembered you said you'd had it with nems for awhile.

Willie McDaries

keep a close watch on your water parameters,I'm sure you mentioned it in the other thread but I missed it of your tank being so new,as long as you don't have an ammonia or nitrite spike,you should be fine...

everything in my tank came from 2 other tanks including my nems and they all are doing just fine,I had the normal junk to deal with like the cyano and the hair algae at first but as far as the cycle,I never seen any ammonia or nitrites,my nitrates started to climb a little but quickly dropped by down...

if you used all dry rock along with your old tanks rock,you may not see any big spikes in anything,just depends on how clean the dry rock was,but your bacteria is still growing and needs time to catch up to the bio load,I wouldn't feed a lot to the nem for a while,just a small piece of silverside or shrimp....if the clowns have already taken to the nem,you'll have to keep them ran off 'til the nem can eat.....

I didn't realize that the stockings would restrict the flow from the power heads so much but it makes sense,that's what I was talking about being more maintenance on you having to clean 'em more often,cause the stockings would catch a lot of debris from the water column,if you can find something with bigger holes,it would be better :)

my nems open and close all the time,I don't think that is anything to worry about,mine close up when they expel their waste and when they eat,they usually stay open during the day though....

I moved 1 of mine to an in tank fuge,it was looking a little beat up from the big clown,hopefully it will recover,it still seems to be fine but wasn't opening up like it did before the clowns....it's tentacles were getting a little ragged looking too,it seems to be doing fine now though and I can feed it a little easier too....I just wanted to give it a break from the clowns :D

since I moved it,the clowns are sharing the other nem and are starting to hang out together more....I may end up with with a breeding pair of clowns yet :D

it's so cool to watch the clowns in an anemone and 1 of the biggest reasons I got into saltwater,but it's taken me,seems like,forever to actually get 'em together :D as soon as you can,snap a few more pics of the nem and the clowns together or a video would be better :D

jcgardner

I'll take a video and try and upload it after I get the kids to school and the dog to the vet this morning.

Thanks for all the info Willie, it is reassuring to see that it is possible to keep nems alive.

jcgardner

The video will not be available today. I am having a heck of time getting a good picture due to the fact that I have to do it blind and from the back of the aquarium, so I will try again after my husband gets home maybe together we can come up with an idea that actually works.

One of the clowns is actually hosting the nem, which I am taking as a good sign. How many clowns can host in one nem? I think I will try feeding the nem a little this evening when I feed the fish and see what happens.

Willie McDaries

that's great to hear,they may all likely try to get in there at first,and that'll be cool to watch,but it will probable end up being just the dominate clown or a mated pair if you're lucky.....they may start to be mean to the 3rd clown if they do pair up,but your tank is a good size,it'll have room to stay away from 'em if that happens...

jcgardner

Well the nem has been in the tank about a week and a half now. He finally ate some shrimp today so I am feeling a little bit better. Here he is with two of the clowns.

clownsandnem-1.jpg

jcgardner

I am not sure how he is doing. Somedays he looks pretty good, he's inflated and the clowns are with it and then other days he stays closed up.

GrendelPrime

there 1 critter im actualy scared to keep and ive been doin reef tanks for along time, i just wish all nems were as easy to keep as aptaisia..lol

jcgardner

I agree Brenda, I have been way more stressed out since his unplanned arrival, don't really enjoy the tank as much because I'm always worried. I probably won't every buy one after this experience. Sometimes I think he is on the wrong schedule though. He gets big at night a couple hours before the lights turn off, is still open when they come on in the morning then about an hour after the are on he closes up.

jcgardner

He's eaten a couple of times. I moved the rock he the rock above him because he wasn't getting any light, he was attached to the rock below it so I didn't have to touch him. He moved after that to the middle of the tank at the sand level, he seems to be getting happier, so we'll see. He has bleached a little that is why I moved the rock in the first place.

sambrinar

Cool!! Well it will move to a place where he likes it... so moving the rock prolly wont matter. If he didn't like it he would move.. other wise your going to keep rescaping the tank LOL

jcgardner

Yes he moved last night. I am hoping he isn't suicidal because he likes to be in caves, he has bleached out more but still opens and gets bulbs on his tenticles. I have decided they just aren't worth all the pain and anguish.