Jbob's 40 Breeder

jbob

Your tank looks good, but you have a nutrient problem as evidenced by the algae taking over the overflow and the coral in some pics. What kinda water do you use? How do you feed? Also, do you have any nutrient export/control? A good cleanup crew would also help out. Sometimes lawnmower blennies can work wonders,

i get my ro/di from the lfs. i am guilty of overfeeding a little. i am actually about to order a dual reactor from bulk reef supply right now. i think some carbon and gfo will help with the algae alot...i'm hoping.

jbob

And how old are the bulbs? Do you still have some chaeto in the sump still?

the bulbs are about 8 months old. i really want to replace them. its on the to do list. and the fuge is still growing strong. the green clown goby went down the overflow and called the fuge home for about a week til i stopped putting it off and got him out.

Last edited:

Jeremy0322

gfo? And the overfeeding is a hard habit to break, I am guilty aswell, but I just bought a HUGE skimmer which is rater for a tank 5x my tank volume so that I dont have to kick the habit!

jbob

gfo? And the overfeeding is a hard habit to break, I am guilty aswell, but I just bought a HUGE skimmer which is rater for a tank 5x my tank volume so that I dont have to kick the habit!

phosphate remover. i have a aqua c urchin. its rated for "over 75"...it could be bigger, maybe later.

morbius18

I kept noticing my nitrate would hover around 10ppm and have occasional phosphate readings. I bought a poly reactor, and now I read 0 for both. Sounds like a good move buying the reactor.

jbob

so i placed my order with bulk reef supply last night. i got the dual reactor, 3 extra pads, and 1 uvi super actinic, and 1 giesmann actinic plus. i took out 1 of the factory daylight bulbs cause i was getting some bleaching so i've only been running 5 bulbs for at least a month now. i'm going to switch out 1 of the old actinic bulbs and replace the missing bulb. hopfully i'll get a little better color.

i have a question about the reactor tho. will i have cheato die-off?

jbob

Thanks for the nice words! The HA is getting alot better now that i have my reactor set-up and have been running PhosGuard. i think i have the day off tomorrow so i'll take some pics.

jbob

well got a couple things done today. i changed the PhosGuard in my reactor. It had been in there for 20 days. probably a little longer than i shoulda left it. Most the HA is off the rocks now, just on the back glass. hopefully in a 2 more weeks i'll be HA free. i also took a couple pics... nothing too special, just pics.

DSC00978.jpg

DSC00992.jpg

DSC01000.jpg

DSC01004.jpg

jbob

i wanted to do an update the other day, then something came up....i've been really busy. i will this weekend i promise. sry for the long break

novanosis

Also keep in mind about the Algae scrubber. I will have one soon that Jeremy is making, If it is all its cracked up to be then you might have a recommendation.

jbob

ok so i havn't taken any pics yet but i might as well let everyone know what my tank has been up to. the HA is still around. i think i just need a bigger clean up crew. i was looking around and noticed i have 3-4 snails left in my tank. i used to have 15-20. so i went to the lfs today and picked up 2 turbo snails and a globe urchin. hopefully they will help.

"pics will come later"
while i was at the lfs today i also picked up a pretty sweet blue/grey mushroom with light blue spots.
last week i picked up a pretty nice red rhodactis.

my red and green montis have been growing alot. they're gonna be huge soon, i'm excited. my frogspawn/torc has been doing some growing of its own. i'm going to have to trade it soon i think.

i'll get pics up soon.