Jay's RSM 130C

Oxylebius

Not aiptasia. It is some kind of encrusting coral. Let it grow a little more to be able to better ID it. This early on pic looks like a keeper to me.

Layton128k

Okay thanks for the suggestion! So far my candy cane and duncan are really puffing up which I believe is a good thing. I've been using Reef Chili to spot feed them but Ive seen many people speak of Mysis shrimp? Are these bought at the LFS or a grocery store?

Layton128k

Thanks! I just ordered some online.

I've been trying to find a good spot in the tank for my candy cane and it seems to like where it's at now as it certainly puffs up but it still looks like a deflated balloon rather than the trumpet look I've seen on others. Does this look healthy? It seems to be splitting too. My Ca is about 350 so I've ordered some Red Sea Foundation A for Ca/Sr.

Layton128k

I have a question - I currently use 1 mechanical, 1 chemical (purigen) and 1 bio (matrix) for filtration. I also have chemipure elite - should I use this too or wait for the purigen to exhaust? Do I even need the matrix now that my tank has cycled?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Purigen controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates

CPE (ChemiPure Elite) is carbon & GFO (generic ferric oxide) - this exports & controls phosphates

Reading up on the Matrix, looks like it does the same as Purigen - Seachem Matrix Bio Media is a highly porous media designed to provide exceptionally efficient biofiltration for single site removal of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Many run one bag (11.74 oz) of CPE & one bag 100 ml Purigen in 130/130d/130C tanks, I did in my 130D & do in my 250 (2 bags cpe, 1 purigen) :) I would not run the Purigen & Matrix, though I don't think it would hurt

the CPE will help with phosphates

hope this helps

Layton128k

My fla ric seems to have taken a turn for the worse. It's maybe 50% as large as it was 2 days ago. Duncan, zoa and candy cane look great. I've tried a few different spots and now it's in the place it was doing the best but just getting smaller and smaller. :( I hope it gets better!

Layton128k

After researching it seems to have been bubble algae. I removed it in a separate container and washed the coral in tank water and hopefully that will help. I ALSO noticed that at the base of the plug there is the first sign of what I believe to be cyano. Its kind of a red stringy moss like substance. I'm going to do a 30% water change in a couple days and also scrub it with a toothbrush. I'm reducing my lighting from about 11 hours a day to 7 as well. So far, I've only been feeding every other day - maybe I need to go every 2 days.