j&e's white rsm c-250 journey

FLReefers

Thanks Roy I'll continue doing it weekly, mine is kind of dirty, maybe feeding to much.

Hi Cheryl,
Sorry for the delayed response. I have been cleaning the sponges every other water change. I am currently changing 10 gallons once a week. I have had steady parameters and can't complain. I am now using CPB and purigen in the media basket and also added fine filter pads over my black sponges in each sump. It has helped quite a bit with reducing debris and giving clearer water. I don't think cleaning sponges once a week would hurt at all but my thought was young tank and may allow bacteria to develop better if I did bi weekly instead. I will most likely move to weekly sometime soon. I'm also attempting to seed with copepods so I'm making a copepod refuge to be housed in the rear sump.... We'll see how that goes. Lol
I've been appreciative of everyone's insight and tips as it's extremely helpful.... I look forward to checking out your thread Cheryl! :)

Roy,
I've noticed much better results with gently agitating the sand during water changes, thank you!!
How is your mp40 treating you? Kind of wish I went with the 40 over the 10 but it seems to be getting the job done.
Next purchase will be steves led package. I'm saving and toying with builds at the moment.

Cheers,

Jake

CDMSeaLife

Hi Cheryl,
Sorry for the delayed response. I have been cleaning the sponges every other water change. I am currently changing 10 gallons once a week. I have had steady parameters and can't complain. I am now using CPB and purigen in the media basket and also added fine filter pads over my black sponges in each sump. It has helped quite a bit with reducing debris and giving clearer water. I don't think cleaning sponges once a week would hurt at all but my thought was young tank and may allow bacteria to develop better if I did bi weekly instead. I will most likely move to weekly sometime soon. I'm also attempting to seed with copepods so I'm making a copepod refuge to be housed in the rear sump.... We'll see how that goes. Lol
I've been appreciative of everyone's insight and tips as it's extremely helpful.... I look forward to checking out your thread Cheryl! :)

Roy,
I've noticed much better results with gently agitating the sand during water changes, thank you!!
How is your mp40 treating you? Kind of wish I went with the 40 over the 10 but it seems to be getting the job done.
Next purchase will be steves led package. I'm saving and toying with builds at the moment.

Cheers,

Jake

Hi Jake, funny you mentioned CPB (chemi-pure blue) I've always used CPE (chemi-pure elite) and Purigen but ordered CPB and just received it today, I'm adding next time the CPE needs to be changed. Are you using just one bag of CPB and one purigen? With the CPE it's recommend use is; two 11 oz bags, for RSM 250 tank size and CPB is only one, I'm hoping I didn't read that wrong, it will save money! Also, great idea to use filter pads over sponges, will probably need to clean sponges less. Thanks for the tips.

FLReefers

Hi Jake, funny you mentioned CPB (chemi-pure blue) I've always used CPE (chemi-pure elite) and Purigen but ordered CPB and just received it today, I'm adding next time the CPE needs to be changed. Are you using just one bag of CPB and one purigen? With the CPE it's recommend use is; two 11 oz bags, for RSM 250 tank size and CPB is only one, I'm hoping I didn't read that wrong, it will save money! Also, great idea to use filter pads over sponges, will probably need to clean sponges less. Thanks for the tips.

Hey Cheryl,
I actually only used 1 bag of the CPB but will now go back and read it again to ensure I understood correctly. I initially thought it was 2 but I left the 2 bags of charcoal the tank came with so I only added 1 CPB and 1 purigen with intentions of changing to 2 CPB bags once the original charcoal bags were tired. I'll go back and read but it appears I may have lucked out but only adding 1 CPB due to space! The filter pads have really helped reduce debris I used super filter felt and thought it may be too fine but the flow seems fine and I think its capturing all of the little debris. I like that it is white and I can also see it through the side view windows of the sump area which allows me to gauge cleaning frequency much better. I hope this may help you and thanks for following our thread! :)

CDMSeaLife

No, I think your right it's only one bag. But, I have a few CPE left, so I'll probably use one of each and Purigen until I run out. I already have the filter pads, same as yours, from my old aquarium, I'll just have to cut them to the right size, and I'm ready to go.

FLReefers

Hey All,
Anyone have experience with Lyretail Anthias (Fiji)? Looking for any insight on these beautiful fish. I've read they typically do best in groups of 1 male and 1 female or 1 male and 3 females….looking for someone with first hand experience and any insight would be much appreciated!

FLReefers

it's been ages since we have posted. Just wanted to add a quick update to our tank thread :)

We have quite a few corals & have introduced new fish since - everything seems to be thriving.

Here's a few photos of our tank :

IMG_2565_zpsc6c971e3.jpg

IMG_2566_zpsf1fa2acc.jpg

IMG_2571_zps4509af07.jpg

IMG_2580_zps26f36747.jpg

IMG_2584_zps92f84dc2.jpg

IMG_2588_zps3212d7e6.jpg

IMG_2592_zps09a6d0b7.jpg

IMG_2596_zps794f98b5.jpg

IMG_2598_zpsa49bd5ca.jpg

IMG_2532_zps1e0b5bc6.jpg

will share more soon - we've been so busy with work!

xo erin

FLReefers

hi everyone :) & thanks for your nice comments.

dan - i shoot with an Canon eos 60D DSLR - i think the biggest "secret" onefishtwofish - is great equipment. I shoot both in automatic & manual mode & try to do it when all the lights are on in the tank (which also happens to be when it is dark outside) when i shoot during the day, i notice i get a good amount of glare. i have really enjoyed shooting the tank & fish, it does take patience, as they are always darting about :)

Thanks again!

xo erin

NickF

Very nice, your tank looks so clean. I've had various problems with gha, gba, diatoms and cyano since I set my 130 up 6 months ago & it's just starting to settle now. I wish I could get my sandbed looking as nice as yours.

FLReefers

Nick,
thanks, I've been told by my LFS that using proper RO/DI water can help reduce the algae issues. I thought I was just lucky but think that does play a big part….and perhaps a bit of luck as well. I continue to push my luck with recently adding a blue spotted puffer. He took out 2-3 zoa polyps when I first put him in but has not caused any other issues since. I'm hoping he continues to live in harmony as we enjoy his beauty, only time will tell I guess.

FLReefers

I have noticed some bright blood red diatoms appearing on some of the dry rock and I'm not sure what it is but I am keeping a close eye on it to see if it spreads or dissipates. I'll ask Erin to snap a pic or 2 to post and get opinions. She does all of the video and pics as she is much better at it than I am….if anyone knows what it is just by description please chime in, thanks.

FLReefers

Glenn,
When I performed my water change a little bit of the algae was able to syphoned off the rock. With that I am assuming it could be cyano. I was told it may be from too much white light in the t-5 spectrum in the hood of the RSM 250C. I am going to look around and see if some have replaced one of the white bulbs for blue or pink to reduce white. I appreciate the comment as it has helped diagnose and prep on next steps!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You are very welcome ! pretty common the 1st 6 months to deal with a bit

keep up a hardy cuc of snails, fresh chemical filtration media, wc weekly & try not to overfeed - this is very easy to do, with a tank full of corals & fish, I feed 2 cubes frozen every other day & I consider this pretty heavy feeding for my tank - hope this helps