j&e's white rsm c-250 journey

Roy Page

Roy,
I ran into the other room to let Erin know she's not alone in her test review consultations…haha. I do the very exact same thing, I agree that the red sea kit works but seems a bit too subjective for my liking as well. Had a long day at the office so I just tested and topped off, also prepped for scheduled water change tomorrow.
I'll look into the Salifert kit based on Greg and JStag's advice (thanks guys) tomorrow and prepare to draft the CUC team. Roy, have you clicked on a chiller as yet? Still debating myself, tank was at 81.2F today but think after a few reads that temp might be just fine….

Cheers

Jake,

A friend who gave up the hobby 4 or 5 years ago [too many commitments] gave me a massive package of gear and in among it were several Salifert test kits.
They may be out of date, but I intend to try them just to see how easy or hard they are relative to RS test kits, ignoring the results but seeing how doing the tests compares.
I now how a 30 gall aquarium in my garage, loads of different pumps, filters and two wonderful skimmers, plus a load of other stuff as well.

Meanwhile, I have decided that I am not color blind and think I know how to compare the RS test resulting color with the test color sheet.
Hard to describe, but as their instructions say, look through the top of the vial directly downward, and ................. drum roll please ...................... hunt over the different colors to find the color that is "masked' by the color of the test sample. As I said, hard to describe ....... actually you are not matching the colors at all, you are finding the color that is "blotted" out by the test sample.

Chillers, no I am still hovering on that one, fairly sure that I have to have one but playing with the house temperature when the AC is running.
My temp wandered almost 3 degrees on Friday, but the AC was left off all day long b/c everyone was out. Can't have that amount of swing.

Seems also that the chiller brings additional problems and read today that the C-250 chiller pump area won't accept the pump that RS recommend, chamber is narrower than the Max 250.
I wish Red Sea did a complete chiller kit, buy it, stuff it is and set and forget. But as far as my searches go, they don't.

Roy

FLReefers

Jake,

A friend who gave up the hobby 4 or 5 years ago [too many commitments] gave me a massive package of gear and in among it were several Salifert test kits.
They may be out of date, but I intend to try them just to see how easy or hard they are relative to RS test kits, ignoring the results but seeing how doing the tests compares.
I now how a 30 gall aquarium in my garage, loads of different pumps, filters and two wonderful skimmers, plus a load of other stuff as well.

Meanwhile, I have decided that I am not color blind and think I know how to compare the RS test resulting color with the test color sheet.
Hard to describe, but as their instructions say, look through the top of the vial directly downward, and ................. drum roll please ...................... hunt over the different colors to find the color that is "masked' by the color of the test sample. As I said, hard to describe ....... actually you are not matching the colors at all, you are finding the color that is "blotted" out by the test sample.

Chillers, no I am still hovering on that one, fairly sure that I have to have one but playing with the house temperature when the AC is running.
My temp wandered almost 3 degrees on Friday, but the AC was left off all day long b/c everyone was out. Can't have that amount of swing.

Seems also that the chiller brings additional problems and read today that the C-250 chiller pump area won't accept the pump that RS recommend, chamber is narrower than the Max 250.
I wish Red Sea did a complete chiller kit, buy it, stuff it is and set and forget. But as far as my searches go, they don't.

Roy

Hi Roy,
With the Red Sea test kit I was wondering if I should be comparing to shade by looking through the top or holding to the side. What you're saying makes quite a bit of sense and I will try that moving forward, much appreciated.
I am still thinking I may need the chiller as well. This weekend though my home stayed at around 74F and the tank cooled down to a constant 79F, this was the first time I saw the drop. When my wife and I are at work our A/C thermostat sense that and automatically moves to away mode to save energy. I'm thinking that with this home thermostat feature a chiller may Inevitably be in our future.
I hope you are doing well now post Mature pro kit as this marks the "own your own" part of the journey. Our day is rapidly approaching as well and its exciting and nerve racking all at once, lol. Clean up crew went in today and I will post an update soon with photos. I also had my water tested at the LFS just to ensure I am getting correct readings from Red Sea test kit and determined that the RS kit has been spot on thus far.
I went with emerald crabs as part of the CUC and hope I don't regret it but I just think they are cool, I also picked up 3 Turbos and they went to work quickly, looking forward to a reduction of the uglies but know patience is a virtue. :tumble:

Update to come soon, Cheers!

FLReefers

Well it is now day 13 of my cycle and all seems to be doing pretty well (*knocks on wood). I have been able to bring the tank temp down to a steady 78F and it is not floating between 77F-79F typically. I am thinking that I was able to dodge the chiller bullet although I am slowly working my way back to original thermostat settings for the house A/C to monitor effects on tank temp.
I also installed the Tunze 3155 and it is now up and running. (Thanks Roy for the meter pump flow setting inside the controller info) I adjusted prior to adhering velcro strips and mounting. I did have an issue with the optical eye not reading correctly and attempting to overfill the tank by not sensing the water touching it. I did some research and dipped the eye in soapy water and wiped down. Once placed back in the water I tested it by lifting and lowering into the water and watching the controller LED's to ensure it was functioning properly. VIOLA!! The soapy water wash worked!
I was going to originally place in the right side chamber near media basket but decided to put in chiller pump chamber. As I looked closer my right side flow is much slower and lower due to media rack but I also noticed that no matter how full the DT was that chamber was always running lower. I was afraid of a potential overfill by mounting sensors in that lower right side chamber.
I also went ahead and installed a digital thermometer to assist with accurate temp readings while testing different things with home temp etc…
The clean up crew has been doing quite well although I think 1 Turbo may be having issues as it was turned on its side and when I flipped it back over it just seemed to be disoriented although still alive. I will watch him closely.

Tank parameters have been good thus far with no ammonia, nitrites, and about 10 nitrates. I put in an extra ml of NO3.PO4-x to help reduce until my next upcoming water change.
Below are some pics of the CUC as well as the Tunze sensor locations and also the thermometer. Just going to hurry up and wait now as I prepare to introduce a pair of clowns. I am eyeing a snowflake and black false percula.

Debo the crab (hope he isn't an issue)
67db95fb-5cae-42bf-b587-ca5c43f1f70e_zpsf5b6b74c.jpg

54637cb1-2b2b-4df1-a799-84b203e229e5_zpscebfaeff.jpg

Tank shot showing some of the snails
044c83f2-20fe-4daa-8752-41235292e57e_zps2a65f766.jpg

Tank @ day 10 showing a little bit of hair algae
9b2731f9-6460-49b4-9dfd-770f0ea20b79_zpsfc2cae5d.jpg

Tank shot from a side angle
4955430e-948e-4994-a3e3-a771eefe8e8c_zpsc667637c.jpg

Tunze 3155 water sensor mounting location
b79dba12-d78d-4091-b9bb-3227cc9d5b98_zps07013ef6.jpg

RO/DI reservoir and controller underneath in tank cabinet.
b8c15ede-0141-4f34-8ca4-561933a8a446_zps289b0cb7.jpg

Thermometer mount location
693c3050-1a81-4cdf-a189-15a84a5e0f14_zps45fde987.jpg

Think Debo is moving in on the turbo, the turbo seems to be having issues as his behavior is different from the others. He just seems off to me……Thoughts?
c0e18e41-e6cd-41e4-b28c-1492ae90a5bb_zps154cca65.jpg

Hope you all are having a Reeftastic day! :D

FLReefers

Completing a water change today and considering adding a nice colorful Zoa to the tank…I have had very steady salinity with 0 on ammonia, nitrites, and I'm around 10-12 on nitrates. Going to be doing a water change today of around 15% to drop nitrates and because its due.
When performing water change should I be using the syphon to gently agitate the sand to remove debris on the bottom (food particles and such) I was not sure if this was a good practice or bad practice? :dunno: Wanted to get opinions prior to completing today….thanks in advance!!
I will post some pics and parameters post water change

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Yes you can lightly siphon and agitate the sandbed, just don't go down more than the top 1/2 inch or so... I do this not every time but from time to time, I think it helps.

sidebar if you are seeing and food particles on the sandbed, increase your cuc & cut back a bit on the feeding. It's very easy to overfeed, the fish always look hungry and try to trick us into feeding too much - I feed two cubes frozen every other day & I consider this to be pretty heavy feeding. All most all of what you feed should be consumed in a minute or two. Hope this helps :)

FLReefers

hey everyone just wanted to share a little video of the two clowns we added five days ago - a snowflake & false black perc - they are doing great, i filmed this little video when we first put them in the tank & you can see the little guy submitting to the black perc female, pretty cool.

[video=youtube;XoyvRySoga0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoyvRySoga0[/video]​

We also added a torch coral as well as zoa rock yesterday. This will be a good intermission point to allow things to settle and the cycle to finish. All parameters have been consistently in range with 1.025 salinity, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and < 3ppm nitrates. The CUC has been doing great work and keeping things tidy. I have noticed we lost one blue leg hermit but other than that loss all has been well. We have been enjoying the sights of our new additions and will be taking some photos and perhaps another video to show the torch and zoa.
I have also been keeping our MP10 at about 20-30% power and seems to be providing plenty of flow given its current load. Skimmer is settling in and I believe the Tunze is assisting with its stability as it has been keeping water level perfect for past few days.
I also picked up some Rod's original reef food and they all LOVE it. At this point all is going smoothly (knocks on wood)

Next addition down the road may be a yellow watchman goby but won't be adding for at least 2 weeks or so…..

Cheers

Roy Page

hey everyone just wanted to share a little video of the two clowns we added five days ago - a snowflake & false black perc - they are doing great, i filmed this little video when we first put them in the tank & you can see the little guy submitting to the black perc female, pretty cool.

[video=youtube;XoyvRySoga0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoyvRySoga0[/video]​

We also added a torch coral as well as zoa rock yesterday. This will be a good intermission point to allow things to settle and the cycle to finish. All parameters have been consistently in range with 1.025 salinity, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and < 3ppm nitrates. The CUC has been doing great work and keeping things tidy. I have noticed we lost one blue leg hermit but other than that loss all has been well. We have been enjoying the sights of our new additions and will be taking some photos and perhaps another video to show the torch and zoa.
I have also been keeping our MP10 at about 20-30% power and seems to be providing plenty of flow given its current load. Skimmer is settling in and I believe the Tunze is assisting with its stability as it has been keeping water level perfect for past few days.
I also picked up some Rod's original reef food and they all LOVE it. At this point all is going smoothly (knocks on wood)

Next addition down the road may be a yellow watchman goby but won't be adding for at least 2 weeks or so…..

Cheers

Seems you are moving on pretty well Jake.
Clowns look nice as well.

It looks like you have not had an attack of diatoms as bad as we did or the big crop of GHA ... Great !

Roy

FLReefers

Thanks Roy,
I was getting very nervous initially about not having as many diatoms or GHA as I was thinking this would be an indication of my cycles progression. I did have some GHA forming but not a whole lot, so the CUC wiped it out and continue to keep it cleaned up. I am hoping I just got lucky and that there is not a huge spike down the road for me. I am nearing the end of the 21 day Mature reef pro kit and will soon be "on my own" I appreciate having others such as yourself available for advice and opinions.
BTW, your tank looks very nice after the scrub and Erin said your clowns are very cute right after it was said in your video! :)

FLReefers

Great Vid beautiful clowns ! Nice additions on the corals too !

Thanks Glenn, I actually got a great deal on them, my LFS was having a 50% off sale and after researching what would be easiest to start with I then elected based on visual reference so I think it worked out great! Gearing up for a camping trip this weekend but I will certainly post some additional pics and vids upon return. Gave the snails a bit of seaweed as well as emeralds and will feed frozen right before I head out. My mother-in-law will come by, check on them and drop some pellets while we are out on our 2 day trip…..I never imagined how much tank separation anxiety I would get, lol

FLReefers

Hey All, I have been slacking on updates but will post a more lengthy one here soon. All seems to be doing well in the tank thus far. our clowns seem settled in and are eating well. I also recently added a sleeper banded goby who appears well after 4 days and an orange and green frogspawn that has opened up and looks very happy.
I've noticed a few of these little guys below but can not pinpoint what it is…I've looked on the internet but can't quite seem to find a match. I'm trying to find out what they are and if they are wanted residents or possibly need to be removed. I was only able to catch a shot with my cell phone so my apologies on the quality. It looks like a tiny snail of sorts with neon green bristles on its body…….is anyone familiar with these? Thanks in advance.

c1d07d4a-aa9f-4255-a0ca-ec2f58d8728d_zpsf028f123.jpg

FLReefers

Turns out it is Aeolid Nudibranch's….I have seen 2 and they are neon green so they are eating my recently added Zoa's. I removed the 2 I was able to see and I'm going to dip the zoa rock to try and prevent a spread in the display tank. I will now do my homework and practice dips before adding more to the tank, part of the lessons/learning process I guess. Please chime in on any experiences or advice with these, thanks!

CDMSeaLife

Completing a water change today and considering adding a nice colorful Zoa to the tank…I have had very steady salinity with 0 on ammonia, nitrites, and I'm around 10-12 on nitrates. Going to be doing a water change today of around 15% to drop nitrates and because its due.
When performing water change should I be using the syphon to gently agitate the sand to remove debris on the bottom (food particles and such) I was not sure if this was a good practice or bad practice? :dunno: Wanted to get opinions prior to completing today….thanks in advance!!
I will post some pics and parameters post water change

Hi Jake, I love your thread I set up my RSM 250C on 5/19/14, coming from a 29 gal Biocube, so I've been following you and Roy's threads (hi Roy). Just a fast question; do you rinse out your sponges at every water change?

Roy Page

Hi Jake, I love your thread I set up my RSM 250C on 5/19/14, coming from a 29 gal Biocube, so I've been following you and Roy's threads (hi Roy). Just a fast question; do you rinse out your sponges at every water change?

Hello there,

I have not been rinsing the black sponges until the water change I did last Sunday.
Was somewhat surprised how little debris was in them.
i just squeezed them several times in the old water and put them back into the return pump sumps.
From now I will do it weekly with my water change.

i am taking out and replacing about 12 gallons per week. Parameters are fairly steady but my KH is a bit lower than I want.

Jake, I do try to pull a bit of the sand debris out as I syphon the water out.

Roy

CDMSeaLife

Hello there,

I have not been rinsing the black sponges until the water change I did last Sunday.
Was somewhat surprised how little debris was in them.
i just squeezed them several times in the old water and put them back into the return pump sumps.
From now I will do it weekly with my water change.

i am taking out and replacing about 12 gallons per week. Parameters are fairly steady but my KH is a bit lower than I want.

Jake, I do try to pull a bit of the sand debris out as I syphon the water out.

Roy

Thanks Roy I'll continue doing it weekly, mine is kind of dirty, maybe feeding to much.