It's a long shot..but.....

I know this is a stretch but could anyone tell me what kind of rock this is and is it SW safe?

I am not sure if the shells on there are SW or FW? A friend got the rocki n a tank bundle that was FW but the father who sold it also had a SW tank as well so we are not sure if there just wasn't enough room and he put it into the FW.

003-3.jpg

005-2.jpg

002-3.jpg

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
That looks to me to be like what bull kelp attaches to so probably salt, try pouring a little vinegar on it. Steve

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
It could be limestone rock. The mollusk shells appear to be SW and the rock is porous, which is a good thing. I'd use it!

Well, I did the ole vinager test and two things happened:

1. the liquid went right through the rock it is sooo porous
2. it fizzed

So, if we were to use this it would go in our FOWLR tank that will be started within the next couple of months.

If we can use this, the best part is that it will be free!

vdituri

p.s. - It will need to be cured or cycled with the tank before being used in a tank with animals.
Didn't know if you knew that or not. Just being safe.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
looks like l/r to me imo use it

Not to be negative but I don't think it IS Live Rock. It may very well have BEEN live rock at one time but it looks very dried out which means it would just be base rock which will become L/R over a period of time inside the tank with L/R added to "seed" this new rock.

It looks like an amazing rock and I would seriously think about using it in my tank especially considering the results of the acid test.

GOOD find!!

Allen :)