Issues with RS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hi All!

Well been so caught up in my new tank being constructed and did not even notice this thread until brought to my attention by nivek.

For those wondering I started the "Good Morning" thread and asked Travis and Teri if it would be ok to do so. We had one on another board and it was done in General Discussion forum and was very well accepted.

I really like it as it gives us a chance to say Good Morning and see what is going on with each other as the new day dawns.

I believe one of the mods said to have something "Tank Related" in the thread as we reply and try to add something about my tank as I post. I think it brings us closer together and give that nice family feeling as we cruise through the threads to give suggestions, help when needed and to post problems or other things going on with our tank.

Sorry to hear about this issue and sure it will be resolved and TG we need to have you here. We are all family here and all should be treated equally. God bless ya all! :)

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Originally posted by Travis
You've misquoted me. I never said anything was "none of your business." Get it right or don't quote people.

It's beginning to appear that no matter what I say to you, you're just intent on interpreting it your own way and then somehow infusing it into your own reality.

Why waste time and effort trying to reason with someone who's being completely unreasonable?
Remember when I said "I feel could benefit by stepping back from certain situations and segregate their personal feelings from the topic at hand. And in general, could be a little nicer when problematic situations arise."
This is one of those times...
Tankgirl is an ASSET to this board and we should treat her as such. She is entitled to her opinion on certain things that we may not see eye to eye on. We should still respect that if we disagree. The object here is to find a resolution. Albeit, the original issues are trivial in my opinion, but they are not to her. And I think we should treat them with the same reguard as she does.
And let us not forget that "It is not how you say something, it is how it is interpreted."

sorcerer

Court Computer Wiz
Well I've followed this thread off and on during the day and just finished reading the three pages that were posted since the last time I was on...wow...I will apologize in advance as drinking for the last few hours with some of my legislative buds may be blurring my perspective....

Originally posted by Crakeur

This is the internet. It isn't real. The day I get upset by letters typed by someone I've never met is the day I leave this mortal coil. If I'm taking anything that seriously it will kill me.

I've got to agree with Crak here, I deal with info on murders rapes, child abuse, child custody, divorce and other such real world issues all day long and frankly this just isn't that big a deal.

A thread was moved, posts were edited and a few users banned. Seems to me I saw somewhere in the user agreement that these things are at the discretion of the admins and mods and we as users agree that they don't have to give reasons.

I've had pictures moved to different catagories, never bothered me. On other forums I've had threads moved and been asked to tone things down on one occasion, again, what's the problem? I'll probably be joining Wit in being banned from another site in the next few weeks. If I don't like the way those things were handled I can go to one of the other sites out there. It's not like there are a limited selection.

If you don;t like the policies or way the mods of a given site handle things, find another site. LIke BoomerD said in an earlier post here, I use language at my work that would probaly get me banned here, I love to argue religion, politics, philosophy, and the law, but I go to sites where these are more appropriate topics than here. There are plenty of unmoderated forums on the internet for anyone that wants to push the limits.

And if you think this site is restrictive you ought to try some of the legal and federal sites that I get to use. participation in a thread like this would get you banned, if not investigated.....

A site is owned or controlled by someone, ie. the admins. They set the policies and the overall tone for the site. The mods are here to guide and help see that these policies are followed. Users conribute by being members of a community within those guidelines.

I've not seen anything here from the mods or the admins that I find patently offensive. I read a user agreement when I signed on and I think it is appropriate to abide by those terms. If a mod finds something I do offensive and warns me about it,I'll try to do better. If I am in complete disagreement with the mod,, I'll take it to the admins privately and if they don't address my concern to my satisfaction within the structure they have set for the site, I'm free to move on to greener pastures. No harm, no foul.

Folks, give it a rest and move on. RS is a great site that is going through growing pains. Accept that you can't have or be everything to everyone and still meet a level acceptable as a family site. You want to go to the edge, find a site that has no mods and let it all hang out.

TG, I have always apprecaited your responses and kind words on images I have posted and I hope you don't leave, but I can't understand how upset you seem over the issue of the moved thread. Is Rob upset that the thread was moved? Some of us do visit the other forums and I have still been looking at the thread.

Maybe my perspective is just different, I've set three death watches in the last 6 years and the moving of a thread just doesn't seem to matter that much.

I like the site, I enjoy the information I get here on reefing, and I hope that I occasionally contribute something worthwhile. Now, I'm off the soap box to look for some aspirin and get ready to argue budget issues with the court tomorrow.

Let's move on.....

tankgirl

Johnny, I'm sorry the GM thread got pulled into this thread. As I mentioned, it doesn't do much for me, but I completely respect and appreciate that it's important to you and many others and a valuable addition to the forum. I was only using it as an example of how rules were not evenly applied. Your enjoyment of that thread is all-important to me.

Lucky, you've been a good friend to me in this discussion. I value and appreciate that so much. Thank you.

ScottT1980

Lucky, I agree with you, and I said "uh oh" myself when I read the posts...

Walt (and Crak for that manner), buddy, thanks for putting this into perspective and saving my fingers some typing (as I was about to say something similar), perhaps we have been drinking the same thing...

Take er easy
Scott T.

Michael_Lambert

Wow.. Guys! and Gals! ..

I have been busy with my New tank.. and did not get on line much! ..

But comeon....

Personally!!

I do not think that the Photography forum should be "how to's" as this is not a Photography Forum.. its a reefing Forum.. I expect to go into the Photography area and see the EYE Candy! I think that Tavis has ALLOT OF experience with cameras and can help allot of us.. but to be honest if you want to talk about how your camera works.. Read the manual.. or jump onto a Photo Forum for more in depth info..

As for The thread Being moved.. I was a moderator on one of our larger Canadian Forums and the same thing would happen.. If all you are doing is showing the Eye candy of your tank.. then move it to a Photo forum.. Now if you are looking for ID .. or something.. Then sure in the General forum..

As for the Photo forum being the Less popular part of this Forum.. this is the reason why.. Because every one post everything into the "General forum" and not where it should go!

But ....

I don't want to get in any further.. My personal thoughts are this is a waste of time for everyone involved.. The mods are doing what they do to the best they can do it!.. and they deserve PROPS for that!

I'm really glad to see Tankgirl and others express there concerns.. but guys.. what was done was done for a reason! .. and a very Valid reason!

Thanks
Michael!

ReefLady

Staff member
Originally posted by tankgirl
Craig, I understand that you and Teri and Trav would probably have been ever so much happier if this had all be swept under the carpet. But, at least this way, Rob's thread got put back where it belongs. If I'd PM'd, I have no doubt nothing would have happened, the thread would have died a nice death in limbo.

Well, up until now I handled the attacks on my character pretty well IMO. But now I'm officially insulted.

You are so completely, unbelievably wrong. We want nothing more here than to create a place for people to enjoy... all of them. That's the big, secret conspiracy-laden hidden agenda. Or maybe we're actually aliens from the planet sarcophyton who came here to create a place where noone would be happy because we had the Milky Way market on captive-bred corals cornered until all you earthly reefkeepers started ruining our profit margin?

I'd love to hear your theory on our motives for secretly attacking one of the most popular threads here... certainly we must despise all the activity and happiness it generated.

You have been a valued member here, but if you truly have such little faith in us, I'm certain that you should look for somewhere else to spend your time.

tankgirl

TG, I have always appreciated your responses and kind words on images I have posted and I hope you don't leave, but I can't understand how upset you seem over the issue of the moved thread.

sorc, I've tried to explain this and will try one more time. I believe Rob's thread is a showcase for the forum - it's unquestionably one of the most popular threads on the entire site. I think it brings people to this place - new people, who see the thread and want to hang around because they think it has such great threads. It's a wonderful asset to this group and site. Shunting it off to a small forum that few people visit is, imo, a mistake and loss. Those of us who are subscribed to Rob's thread aren't the point - it's the casual drop-by viewer who I hoped to interest, thereby enlarging our group.

I have to add that part of the reason I'm upset is the attitude of some mods here.

Last edited:

Michael_Lambert

Damit!

the truth is out!

Travis and Terri Spent all this money.. Just to go around and Piss off the locals!

I think its just Travis.. Really enjoys Confutations! :D

goodfriend

Has been struck by the ban stick
hello to all....

first, let me please say that, while it was not my 'normal' everyday action and intent to rile up anyone and everyone, i will always stand by my defense or member crakeur......i have known the lad for over a year now....he IS quite the individual..in all ways..and all are good...some see particular ways of his as bad...nut those ways really aren't bad...he is what you might call mischeivious...and 99% is all in fun......ok enough of that....

i did step over some line...but for travis.......i just want you to know that what ever it was that you said to me in a PM....i was busy having fun and lauging in a back-to back with robz.......by the time i GOT the PM, i guess telling me to knock of my crap......i was already banned...and i swear on my daughter's grave--io never got a chance to read it--------you were THAT quick to ban me.......

i have my moments.....i admit......above it all-- i mean no harm...you never got ito a row with someone you thought was a good egg before? we all have.....did i try to push buttons? well, you got me there...yes--i guess i did......

please bear me out and try to have an open mind......

if you THOUGHT that some folks were picking on craig, wit, gina, et al........would you not speak out and defend those folks? yeah, man---you are right...you would and i did no less......you see, peeps...you all have no idea...and believe me when i say NO IDEA what wonderful, caring, loving friends Crakeur and the rest of that cesspool of human life have been to me...ad i will venture to say that they have been and done for me---at one of my darkest hours....more than anyone here at RS has for any other member of this site.....LOYALTY...loyalty to ones that pick you up when you have been kicked down lower than the bottom.....kind of the way you would respond if another dissed your mom or sister or wife....or brother of daughter or son......these folks are my family.....yeah--- we ARE that close.......see, there is so much more to those 'Jerks" than anyone here---other than us----knows....

also---while you all might say--so what and move on-----this a REALLY touchy time of year and month for me...so i tend to really lose it and fly off now......something has made me over-defend what i love and think of as family.....it's my deal---my problem.....but i don't have much left to lose...and i can't bear the thought of losing one of them....ANY of them.......

please forgive me for any grief i have caused you,,,not a normal intent for me--yeah--i like to stirr and shake stuff now and again---but usually---all in fun......i am a very intelligent and highly educated individual...and sometimes with all i have to bear--it's no fun being me.....not that that's any excuse....

please, also. forgive my intrusion.......i just wanted to try to explain.........don't take what i said and done and apply it to the jerks.....underneath all the jokes, off-color comments, and innuendos...they are the cream of the crop-------and as a prof always told me in college---don't worry, kim..you WILL excell----the CREAM always rises to the TOP..as all of them have......

again--sorry i stealthed in here---i will now leave and i will not return...won't try to be where i am not wanted.........

peace...and God Bless all of you........

TRIG

Michael_Lambert

Originally posted by tankgirl
sorc, I've tried to explain this and will try one more time. I believe Rob's thread is a showcase for the forum - .

More the reason for it to be in a Photography part of the forum..

When i started in reefs.. before i even had one.. i would come on to these Forums and go through the Photo Portions.. i never read anything.. Just the Eye Candy!.. Then i seen all the goodies i wanted.. then started to read up on how to keep them!

I mean you read the Headings on the forums..
" General Reef keeping Discussion
Post all your general reef keeping questions here."

And its just that! .. post Questions! ..

Michael_Lambert

One other thing in case no one Else has seen it.. This is almost 9 pages of CRAP! ..

Thread Crapping, One of the many reasons why a thread would be closed! .. NOW ..

For those who are accusing moderators of wanting to be GODS.. why is this thread still open.. Its because this board is more than fair to the Hobbyist.. Travis and the other moderators allow people to speak there mind..

whether it possibly hurts the board or not!

I really think... that some of you have just lost it completely! .. Look at what is going on.... and Grow up!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I really hope travis, terry and all the mods don't get too upset with this drama. :( I think you guys do a great job and the decisions you've made have been just and well within reason!

I really wish there was a thread devoted to saying "thank you" for this forum and all the work you guys put into it!

ReefLady

Staff member
Normally a post from a banned member would be deleted but I'll make an exception here...

A- because he makes some good points and

B- because I wouldn't want to appear as though I was sweeping anything under my alien carpet.

Trig- shoot me an email travis@reefsanctuary.com if you want to discuss the matter of your being banned further.

T

Michael_Lambert

Guys this is just out of hand..

I mean fine we have some saying that that thread was what RS is all about.. But thanks to this thread.. it is no longer about that at all.. its all bout the BS!

NOW EVERYONE GO LOOK AT MY NEW 90 Gallon tank :D

tankgirl

Originally posted by Toooloud NOW EVERYONE GO LOOK AT MY NEW 90 Gallon tank :D [/B]

TooLoud, that would be your pics of your tank in the Gen Discussion forum, right? But, Robs pics of his tank and corals belong in the Photography forum, right?

Michael_Lambert

Just like you and everyone eles.. I want to get the maxium exposure... lol ,

But im not going to go off on a rant when someone moves my thread to the correct forum! ..

no one said that we need to make life for the moderators EASY :D

Whoah... i think i drank too much green beer tonight... What hapened here?????

I don't want to throw any gasoline on the coals of this post. So all im going to say is every one here is realy cool,nice, and helpful. This site is a team effort and the teamwork is what makes it great. I think we just need some sleep and to start over tomarrow.

Good nightr every one

mgregory

I can't believe this!! I come here to learn about a hobby I love and try to relax. If I wanted all this drama I'd go to work!! I think everyone here has great ideas and thoughts but get a grip.

I HOPE WE ALL CAN GO BACK TO TALKING ABOUT REEFs!!

Sorry but I like all the different points of view and I value TG's the mod and admin and everyone else. I hope everyone remembers the big picture and forgets this incident.

Hope to see EVERYONE later,

Mark

Last edited:

ReefLady

Staff member
Don't worry Mark, this is the healthy airing out of issues and will help us in the future. It's disconcerting to see the drama but I'm convinced it will have been a positive thing in the end. And very soon, we'll all get back to enjoying our hobby and each other's company.

Cheers to that day, maybe tomorrow :)

Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.