Issues with RS

Status
Not open for further replies.

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Ok guys and gals, I stopped reading at page 5. We all love this hobby so can all of us put all our differences aside and contribute to this great hobby and focus on helping fellow reefers out with helpful information.

I think the ultimate aim everybody is hoping for at the end of the day is a perfect healthy tank AND less exploitation of our natural reefs. I know it may be difficult to heal some wounds at this point in time but if we had something to focus on (THE HOBBY!), I'm sure time will heal anything.

I will now send out my perc to kiss everybody :)

reefrunner

Contributing Member
I received this in an email this evening, and I thought "great another #$%#@@#$ chain letter", but since it was from a friend I opened the 3 different attatchments to get to the message....I thought it kinda pertained here.

You And I Are Friends.

You Smile, I Smile .....

You Hurt, I Hurt ....

You Cry, I Cry ...

You Jump Off A Bridge.

I'm Gonna Miss Your Dumb Butt

At the very least it mighta made you smile ;)

Crakeur

Originally posted by mojoreef
I have been in your position before crakeur, and still am an a particular board but I have to say I expected to be hounded and dogged because I was stirring it up.

You can always drive a Lexis to the Ritz but you got to dress up or down depending on the venue. ;)

Mike

well, if you don't want to cause a commotion, you might not take a lexis to the ritz. otherwise, upon entry, everyone would know you and that might make you uncomfortable.

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Perhaps it's the Guinness talking...
Teri, you wonderful hunk o' reefkeeping woman you! YOU were the reason most of us moved to this forum, and your post on this topic is a testamate as to why.
**P.S. I really hope your husband doesn't come down here and beat me with his Harley...**

tankgirl

Originally posted by ReefLady
I totally don’t understand this. You’re ‘disallusioned’ with RS and are considering leaving because a thread was moved, and because of a post that was edited several months ago?
No, as I mentioned in the post, that was just a couple of examples of some of the problems.

Originally posted by ReefLady Okay …. Let’s back up. People, AFAIK, go to the home page. The posts made in the Photography forum appear on the home page. Last I checked, the description of the photography forum said: “Photos you want to share?
I've said this about 10 times so far. The problem with the home page is that the threads on it only last about 3 hours - less during heavy traffic hours - so, most people here (who only drop in once a day) miss most of the thread activity that shows up on the home page.
I started Rob's tank thread and it was not about Photos I wanted to share?. Rather it was about reefkeeping. At least some of the people here do understand and agree with me about this.

Originally posted by ReefLady I will say something here. I am extremely disappointed that you chose a public venue to question the integrity of an Administrator here over something that happened months ago.
Teri, I'm disappointed in you and Trav's attitude; "it's none of my business", your 'extreme disappointment' in me and "If you are of the opinion that moving a thread to anything but the “General Reef” forum is being ‘shuttled off’, then yeah, that’s going to happen." Thanks so much for your kind effort to see things from my pov and your genuine concern.

Originally posted by ReefLady You know what? This is getting ridiculous. Nobody ‘shelved’ RobZ’s thread. Nobody ‘singled’ him out. Okay, so another similar thread didn’t get moved. What is the big deal?
Again, thanks for your effort and concern.

Last edited:

Pro_builder

My opinion here:
I think that moving a thread to a less active forum, is a good thing.
Reason: Since it is a less active forum, the thread will stay on the first page for a lot longer, thus more people will see it.
Also, it is still linked to the front page, as long as someone posts on it.

Also, if you want to keep track of a thread, you can "Subcribe to it", this will give you an email (If you have that option turned on) and will also show up in your "User CP".

I will agree that we, as Mod's, are all trying to do our best. Yes, we are also human, Therefore we do make mistakes.
When I make a mistake, if someone tells me I made one, then I will admit to it, and not beat aroiund the bush. If I'm wrong I am wrong!

We have made a few adjustments and clairifications to our guidelines, and rules (As Mod's) so hopefully everything will go better from here on out.

Thank you for starting this discussion, since we have all stayed level-headed and we have fixed a few misconceptions.
Just my 2 cents.

ReefLady

Staff member
You've misquoted me. I never said anything was "none of your business." Get it right or don't quote people.

It's beginning to appear that no matter what I say to you, you're just intent on interpreting it your own way and then somehow infusing it into your own reality.

Why waste time and effort trying to reason with someone who's being completely unreasonable?

Alf

I really missed the pics of Robz tank. So, I rescued the pics to post here. Don't know if I'll be able to post them all tonight. We all enjoyed them so much, I couldn't live without them here.

This was the opening of the thread see any reef discussion as the opener??? No, This is where I make my decission. Did you ask a question or were showing of a tank?? I say showing off and shareing. Hey I like Robz this was not personal.

But alas I see that it was moved back, so it doesn't matter.

Sorry I destroyed the values of this board by moving a thread. But I still say what I did was fine.

I agree with a lot that has been said here about the editing and behavior of some of the Mods and I'm sure they do as well. None of us are perfect.

Ok I'll start a poll and if the members want me to resign so you will stay then I'm gone.

Scooterman

I just wanted to say WOW, all this in one day, you guys/Gals hit a heart!
TG, look at all the people that want to share their concern, it looks like things got misconscewed. Lets talk about some fish ok? Hummmm. Lets all get along :chomp: :chomp: We need a power house like you TG, give it some though, sleep on it.. ok?

Last edited:

tankgirl

Originally posted by Travis
Tankgirl- I still don’t understand how a thread being moved can make you so angry. It’s not your decision to make,...
Isn't that the same as "none of your business"?

Alf, no hard feelings! I understand that it wasn't a biased decision.

Thanks, Scott! Yeah, I'll sleep on it.

Last edited:

Craig Manoukian

This thread is a great study in how important communication is. This applies to the Mods and Admins as well as the Members to the Mods.

It is not healthy or constructive to let things fester and frustration build. This thread would be much shorter if we had all done a better job of communicating. It also shows that some things are better said in a PM rather than in a publicly viewed thread. Personal things are always better discussed behind closed doors so to speak, IMHO.

If there is ever a question or concern, members please bring it to our attention. There is no reason for us not to be honest and forthright and risk the alienation of members. Without members, no forum. Without a forum that tries to accomodate a broad range of people, and an attitude of doing what's best for the greatest number of people, there is a narrow ledge for members to perch.

Use discretion in your communication. The Suggestion Box is a great venue for general questions or suggestions, and Off-Topic is better for more in-depth matters. PMs are perfect for all personal issues. We as Moderators keep things in the strictest of confidence, I promise we don't kiss and tell. We endeavor to discuss ideas and concepts and stay away from the personality issues whenever possible. What ever is discussed by the Mods stays in the Mod Forum in all but rare cases. This thread has personal references that are the exception and not the rule - one of those rare cases I alluded to.

Please remember that we human, and we make mistakes. Give us a chance to address the issues before we have a blow up. Again this is a great level headed discussion and I appreciate the scarsity of carchter assination.

To infinity and beyond!

Maxx

Wow, I'm getting here late so I apologize for playing catch up.
Originally posted by Crakeur
If the mods don't work out you don't need to axe them, simply point out the issues and give them a chance to adjust.
In the first case, my post was deleted while the thread that I posted in was left alone. I complained to the two mods that were involved that, since they deleted my post for fear of it offending someone, they should delete the thread as I found it offensive. After some back and forth discussion, the thread was finally deleted.
Crak,
I owe you an apology for how I handled that particular thread. That was all me, and at the time I did what I thought was best. However, I didnt want that to be an anonymous action that left you wondering who was editing your post. So I signed my name to the edit, not to "take credit" or rub your nose in it, but to give you a person to blame. I feel very strongly that people should take responsibility for their actions, and that was what I was trying to do.
However, it never occured to me that you might have seen that as insulting by leaving the thread up w/ just a lil edited by Maxx sticker under your name. For that I apologize. It was certainly not my intent to have you insulted in that manner. One of the other Mods w/ much more experiance than me pointed out a couple of different ways I could have handled that which probably not have offended you in that manner.
Not trying to sound pompous here, but thank you for having the class to come back and address this like you have. Not many people would have and I respect you for it.
Originally posted by Dingo
From the first day that me and my group of friends from the JCT started posting here, they have been dogging our every step. Two or three of them post in every single thread where we show up.
The mods here are always polite, but at the same time have worked to try to make us feel uncomfortable and leave.
We have had numerous PM wrangles and one banning because of their heavy handedness.
At first glance, everything here seems terribly nicey nicey. Just under the surface is a rigid structure of repression. It's too bad, really.

Dingo....I cant, (and wont ) speak for other Mods, but I can honestly say that I have only addressed two of you guys w/ the intent of editing something.
I don't hate you guys, I don't birddog anyone, and I certainly don't try to make anyone uncomfortable to the point of leaving. Trig was banned AFTER being warned by Admin...doesnt get much more clear cut than that. If you read Trig's posts objectively, its not hard to see that he was deliberately pushing buttons looking for a reaction. Well, he got one.

I dont know where you got the "rigid structure of repression" feeling from, but I suspect its cause ya werent allowed to play as rough and tumble as your were used to. Different places have different rules. It would be unreasonable for me to expect to be able to come over to your house and do the exact same things there as I do in my own. It would require some adaptation on my part to adjust to the new surroundings, and get used to your method of dealing w/ things. Please dont make it sound like your welcoming party was there to greet you w/ sticks and stones, cause I know that aint the case. I can see how some of us (Mods...and I'm including me in this as I mentioned above) might not have handled everything as well as we could have. But ya cant lay blame squarely on us. You guys are all smart, intelligent people. I don't believe for a second that you were caught completely flat footed and surprised by our (repeated) reactions to your sense of humor. Some of you poked w/ deliberation, and knew exactly what you were doing. So take responsibility for your end of the deal.

Nick

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I think TG and others have mentioned some valid points and I think the Administrators have agreed to look at and correct these if necessary so I think were moving in the right direction. I have no doubt that the right thing will be done for the members and the future of RS.

Alf I also vote that you definitely stay I think you have alot of experience in this hobby and it would be a real shame to lose you. JMHO

Crakeur

Nick,

We settled it in pm's back when it happened. I made my point then and all was fine. I do aprreciate your coming forward here but it was completely unnecessary.

This is the internet. It isn't real. The day I get upset by letters typed by someone I've never met is the day I leave this mortal coil. If I'm taking anything that seriously it will kill me.

Again, I do appreciate the apology and as I stated in pm's, I can't hold any ill will to someone with my old sig.

sharks

Contributing Member
I just want to say that I am not easily offended.
I have no kids and am an atheist at heart so little offends me.
I am a little bothered at the attitudes in this thread.
I was able to find the thread in question with no problems.
I read all the NR threads and laughed out loud with you NR folks.
I agree about the pics in the GR category. I like the threads with pics to inspire me with ideas and dreams of owning those sweet specimens someday.
But that being said moving a post would never upset me to a point that it takes 8+ pages to settle.
Mind you the mods are doing this on their free time! Would you be willing to dedicate that time to refereeing adults with multiple points of views? I have been offered this job on another site and kindly turned it down. I spend what little free time I have surfing reef boards and maintaining my reef and personal life. My gratitude goes out to all the mods, admins and members here.
IMO all are welcome and I hope all feel that.
I’ll be the first to say drink and be merry…
freebie-irish-derby.gif

S

Now I’m off to watch the movie Snatch!
And if I’m still up later Braveheart!

tankgirl

Craig, I understand that you and Teri and Trav would probably have been ever so much happier if this had all be swept under the carpet. But, at least this way, Rob's thread got put back where it belongs. If I'd PM'd, I have no doubt nothing would have happened, the thread would have died a nice death in limbo. I have a lot invested in this forum, have put a lot of love and energy into making it better. So, I feel it is my forum, too.

Craig Manoukian

Originally posted by tankgirl
Craig, I understand that you and Teri and Trav would probably have been ever so much happier if this had all be swept under the carpet. If I'd PM'd, I have no doubt nothing would have happened, the thread would have died a nice death in limbo.

You are dead wrong on this. I am sorry we have lead you to believe we have such little character. Travis stepped up and moved the thread. Every Moderator and Admin has thanked everybody for the openess of the discussion.

The drive by character assassination was the only thing that should have been handeled in a PM between you and Travis, IMHO.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.