Islandcreations 120 starphire tank

Hello everyone,

Been in this hobby for going on 7 years. Live in the Bay Area, part of Bay Area Reefers (BAR) and my local club northcoast reefers. My tank is a 120 starphire made by oceanic but now I want to upgrade. The tanks is plummed under the house to a 45 gallon sump, 75 gallon refugium and a 30 gallon frag flat. The tank is 90% done but the pictures I'm posting is a little behind on how it looks currently.

There is now two 110 super actinic installed for supplementation. But here is two lumenbrights with 250 watt radium bulbs. Don't mind the frag tray. The frag flat wasn't plumbed at the time so I held them in the display tank.

IMG_3483.jpg

IMG_3485.jpg

Some of the sea creatures.

IMG_3754.jpg

IMG_3506-1.jpg

IMG_3560.jpg

IMG_3742.jpg

IMG_3743.jpg

Some of those pictures were taken at diffrent times. I'm still trying to dial in on my reactor since I add the frag flat. Plus, I'm in the process of installing a solenoid to my ro/di unit so I can easily do top offs. So I'm getting there ha,ha,ha

Nice looking tank! Did you make it to the BARS swap a few months ago? It was a great time.

Yes, I did. I really wanted to win that sump that they had =) I went afterwards to see Max at aquariumshowroom since he was saying the place was huge. When I got there it was literally huge 20,000 sqft! Are you going to BAYMAC on Nov 23rd. Its going to be ridiculous.

rmlevasseur

I love the color you are getting from your halides without the use of actinics. Nice job. Might have to try those radiums myself.

Hello. Your tank is beautiful. I love your sps selction...

Thanks for the kind words. Just really got interested in SPS in the beginning of the year. At first I could care less about colorful sticks now they have grown on me ha,ha,ha I noticed their more unforgiveable compared to other corals as far as having the right parameters.

I love the color you are getting from your halides without the use of actinics. Nice job. Might have to try those radiums myself.

Yeah, radiums are probably the best bulbs that I have seen without the use of supplemental lighting (20K SE bulbs used). But I did decide to add two 110 super actinics. I used the VHO's as a dawn-dusk before and after the halides turn on-off. The only thing about the radiums that I hate is 1. Cost 2. They state to switch them out 6-7 months. For me, I run my halides only 6 hours a day with the actinics being on for 8. Electrcity in CA gets up there plus saving money as much money is a good thing while being in this hobby.

reefsurf

looks awesome! i'm also in so cal and ou're right the electricity is xpensive. i like your chalice pieces. let me know if you ever frag :)

lance

looks awesome! i'm also in so cal and ou're right the electricity is xpensive. i like your chalice pieces. let me know if you ever frag :)

lance

Lance,

I'm actually in NorCal. For the chalices, I always want to frag but every time I'm about to new eye begin to grow. So I tell myself I'll frag after those eyes mature, then the cycle begins. I'll hit you up when I do create some frags.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Welcome to RS :)
Wonderful tank. Are you aware that the new Icecap ballasts are driving Radium's better then most others? Just wanted to let you know. I also use the Lumenbright reflectors and love them. I finding out that the Coralvue Eballasts are not as crisp as the Galaxy or new Icecaps and am deciding on which one I want to try.
PM me if your interested in a few links about this.

Welcome to RS :)
Wonderful tank. Are you aware that the new Icecap ballasts are driving Radium's better then most others? Just wanted to let you know. I also use the Lumenbright reflectors and love them. I finding out that the Coralvue Eballasts are not as crisp as the Galaxy or new Icecaps and am deciding on which one I want to try.
PM me if your interested in a few links about this.

Thanks for the info. Are you referring to Sanjay's documentations? Yes, I'm running them with new icecaps. If you aren't referring to Sanjay please pm me the links. Thanks for your input =)

Frankie

RS STAFF
I was not aware that Sanjay was talking about the new ballasts and 20k bulbs. He's not a big fan of anything over 10k from my experience ;)
Here they are. No need for pm's :)
A preferred ballast when using 400w Radiums and AC - zeovit.com
Reef Central Online Community - Show me your 20k Radium tanks?
There are also a few tanks that I am following that use Radium's exclusively and I am very impressed with the results. I will search through my Emails and find them. This is one of them: Reef Central Online Community - The Poor Man's "Elos" SPS Build. :)