Is upstairs dangerous?

Bigchowder

I am just getting ready to start cycling my 55g tank. I will be picking up the LR and sand this weekend.

I have a large master bedroom upstairs where I planned on setting this up. There is too much traffic downstairs in addition to a roommate who "knows everything about reef setups" (but really doesn't, if you catch my drift) that I don't want messing with the tank when I am not there, making his own "improvements".

My question is this: Is the weight of a 55g tank with all the water, LR, sand, equipment, etc too much for a second floor in a home? I wouldn't think so. After all, if I can have a desk that weight a couple hundred pounds and electronics equipment up there in a different part of the room, I should be able to put a tank up there too, right?

Any thoughts, my reefing genius friends?

tbittner

I don't think anyone can definitively say "Sure! That won't be a problem."

We don't know what the flooring structure is made of. Is it 2x6's? 2x8'sx? 2x10's? You know what I mean?

A 55g will weigh around 550 lbs so you're most likely right, it wouldn't be a problem. But I don't think you'll get anyone here to say "Sure! Not a problem!"

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yeah there are a LOT of vairables in making that kind of decision.

Type of floor joists

Over a load bearing wall or not?

What else might be "loading" that part of the floor? (is there a heavy bed or something already adding weight to the floor).

So there are a LOT of "Things" that can make it yes or no.

Good luck :)

naperenterprise

"Sure! Not a problem!"

Yeah there are a LOT of vairables in making that kind of decision.

Type of floor joists

Over a load bearing wall or not?

What else might be "loading" that part of the floor? (is there a heavy bed or something already adding weight to the floor).

So there are a LOT of "Things" that can make it yes or no.

Good luck :)

I'm such an ass..... lol :snow:

JP 1230

I agree that there are too many variables....depends on construction quality, placement, etc...but....I've seen large waterbeds in plenty of upstairs rooms. Using well over 100 gallons...these things weigh quite a bit more than a 55g tank. Assuming is never the best plan, but I would say that typical construction would support your 55G no prob.

I have a buddy on the second floor in an appt. complex with a 125g setup. His floor is holding up fine.

tbittner

Apartment complexes typically have concrete floors separating the floors to meet fire codes, and to cut down on the noise, and they probably figure that someone will put in a 125g aquarium someday. :lol:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I agree that there are too many variables....depends on construction quality, placement, etc...but....I've seen large waterbeds in plenty of upstairs rooms. Using well over 100 gallons...these things weigh quite a bit more than a 55g tank. Assuming is never the best plan, but I would say that typical construction would support your 55G no prob.

Keep in mind that the "Water Bed" is much less "Concentrated". The weight is spread out over may square feet and loading up many joists. With a tank it's possibly the majority of the load could fall on just two joists. The subfloor will distribute the weight some but not a lot especially if the floor is minimally constructed. Honestly I'd say a 55 "should" be safe but I'd do some looking into it before putting it up. Also if it's an older house that could be a very good thing or a very bad thing. For many years houses were built with large very thick lumber which is a good thing. Then there was a housing shortage and homes were built with lousy lumber and on top of that lousy building practices. Just to be safe ask someone to look into the physical construction for you. Should only take a few minutes in most cases.

Good luck and Happy Reefing :)

CMG

I live in an upstairs apartment (dont know if the floor is concrete, I dont think so from the noises it makes when something heavy falls onto the ground) and I have my 40g aquarium in there. I was told that the strongest points are along outside walls. So I put mine next to the slider that goes out to the patio. The inside walls may not have as much support under them and the middle of the room may be the worst spot. Hope that may help you. My 55g is in the garage.

Most modern construction is built to a standard of 300 pounds per square foot,at least around here it is.This is such an easy standard to meet that more by accident than intent floors are sturdier than that.If you set the tank up so it runs across the joists you will be fine.

well i have a 55 gallon tank up in my room filled with crush coral and my dresser not ment for tank haha alittle risky holds out fine and i dont have problems at all with it in my room its been up in my room for 2 years so if your house is fairly new like under mabey 20 years old should be fine cuz i know mine is got to be 15 years old so... yea

Bigchowder

Thanks everyone for your repsonses. The house is about 15 years old. I would put the tank up against a wall, but it wouldn't be an outside wall. The wall is a load bearing wall. Not too sure about where the joists are.

Honestly, I would think it would be all right, but I wanted to check and see if anyone heard any horror stories about takns crashing down through floors.

I sure do appreciate your feedback, though. The only dumb question is the one not asked, right? Well, actually, I can ask some pretty dumb questions, so I guess that isn't always true. :)

reefer4200

I live in an apartment on the 3rd floor, i have a 125g with a 60g sump, 140lbs lr, sand, and a lot of other **** around it. I have no problem. Apartment building are built a bit different than a standard house. But you must always be sure before you do anything, wouldnt wanna come home with the tank in the room below you.