Is this some type of worm or coral?!?

jaw88

There are quite a few of these in my tank,on almost all of my rocks,any idea what it is?
jesscamera001-2.jpg

jaw88

im soo confused lol i looked up aipstatia pics and to me mine dont really look like aipstatsias,they do kind of look like hydroids to me,but i have a lot of them,they are on like three or four of my rocks in colonies they arent really transparent except for the tentacles or whatever they are,and they are really tiny,less than a quarter inch tall,i zoomed in so u could see better..i dont know if that helps..but plz let me know

Dweezil

Hydroids and they are bad. Do what you can to get rid of them. They will sting you and corals.

zigginit

NOT ANY OF THE ABOVE!! they are faded out yellow polyps. they can turn brownish or go back to bright yellow. how do i know because i have a rock full of them. they are not bad, they are just like zooanthids. this pic is when i first got them. since then some have turned brownish yellow.
IMG_2170.jpg

seafansar

Hydroids. They are really small like 1/4" right. and the tops of them will retract into a tube. They will sting corals. Sometimes they grow and spread quickly and sometimes they hardly spread at all. Depends on the tank I guess. All I know is manual removal or maybe putting superglue gel over them to get rid of them. I don't know of any animal that eats them. Some claim zebra hermits will eat them, but I don't know if this is true or not.

I have some in my tank, but don't worry too much about them cause they don't seem to be spreading much.

zigginit

Jaw88 take a better pic if you can but i know they are not hydroids. i have seen yellow polyps in many forms including brown and tan. it looks kinda like your tank is new or at lest your rock is new so that means these guys sat in some low light rock tank for who knows how long and they faded out and and would have died if you didnt get the rock. put them in medium flow area with good light and they should grow back over time and hopfully turn brighter yellow. some of the polyps in my tank are on the shaded side of the rock and guess what... they turned brown.

you can do whatever you want with them but im the only one posting that has what you have and can post a pic of them to prove it. if we have the same thing and i know what mine are as well as having a history of keeping them +1 year then i think its safe to call them yellow polyps.

and to back it up do a google search and find a hydroid. they are smaller and white. then search yellow polyps and see for yourself all the shades of yellow and brown they come in.

zigginit

if that came off as kinda strong or rude im sorry i didnt mean for it to sound that way. i know this is a happy friendly discussion and im game for keeping it that way. :)

zigginit

Hydroids. They are really small like 1/4" right. and the tops of them will retract into a tube. They will sting corals. Sometimes they grow and spread quickly and sometimes they hardly spread at all. Depends on the tank I guess. All I know is manual removal or maybe putting superglue gel over them to get rid of them. I don't know of any animal that eats them. Some claim zebra hermits will eat them, but I don't know if this is true or not.

I have some in my tank, but don't worry too much about them cause they don't seem to be spreading much.

well i looked onto a differnt thread of his that had a pic of his rocks and it shows what looks like the same things pictuerd and from that pic and angle it looks like there may be a "hard tube" on them. still very hard to tell though. if there is a hard tube that they retract into then i would say i stand corrected they must be hydroids:smack: . if no hard tube then yellow polyps. i was just going off the pic shown on this thread. (thats why a good camera helps in ID.)