Is this Pavona?

Gyr

Saw this coral in my LFS, thought it was cool. Guy there told me its a Pavona, which I've heard are pretty hardy, so I brought it home. That was about 2 months ago, and it's doing well, but it doesn't really look like any pavona I can find pictures of. I haven't stumbled across any other corals that are a dead match for it, either. I think it kind of has the overall shape of Pavona descusata, but the photos of that always show a real fuzzy looking coral and my piece just never extends polyps like that. It seems to have grown some in the short time I've had it. The edge on the left in the photo was bleached when I brought it home (that side was buried in the sand at the LFS), and is gradually coloring up.
If it is P descusata, what can I do to get it to expand it's polyps? I have it at the bottom of my 55 gallon tank, lit with 500 watts of MH's and in a postition of intense flow.

Pavona.JPG

Thanks in advance for your help,
Kurt

aaromano

I have seen a similar pavona displayed in LFS very electric green but little to no "fuzz". I have a more conventional pavona growing in a moderate to high flow area and high in tank with PC lights and it is very fuzzy and growing well. LFS with you type had it about midway up under 250W MH in a good flow area. his was showing more extension then your photo does.

Gyr

Thanks, guys.
Reefmack, I agree your coral looks alot like mine does. How much light/flow is yours getting and is it growing well/healthy?
Kurt

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Gyr - mine is doing well since I got it last October, but it's not a fast grower. I have mine almost on the bottom, under 150W MH and 96W of actinics. I picked it up from their $19.95 tank, and the guy at the lfs couldn't remember what it was, other than the name started with a "P". Mine is a fluorescent green and the color really pops under actinics & moonlights.

Gyr

Thanks, Reefmack.
Mine is doing well in the bottom of my tank, but the moonlights from my Sunpod fixture don't hit that part of the tank. I'll try moving it into a 'moonbeam' area of my tank to see if I get that effect, too.