Is this normal?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I have been dealing with a GHA issue ever since I moved my tank......I plan to start another thread asking questions about that but for this thread I wanted to focus on my phosphates.

I tested my fresh RO - 0

I test my tank - 0

I tested freshly mixed water, using Red Seas Coral Pro salt and I get a reading of .05ppm

I'm using a hanna checker meter and i know there have an error ration but it is obvious that the salt is adding phosphates. Is this normal?

I assume my "0" reading in the tank is due to the algae consuming it.

Thoughts?

redneckgearhead

I have heard of this before, so yea it seems possible. Try testing it using a different test to verify but I have seen posts about this issue before.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
This sucks.....I feel like i should just not change the water. by me doing a change, i'm feeding it!

I just checked my tank water again, 0ppm is what i'm getting.

sucks

redneckgearhead

Yea, the HA will suck it up quick in your DT. Have you given the manufacture a call or an email? I would and see what they say and maybe refund your money.

brandon

I can Understand the 0 phosphate reading in your tank because of the GHA consuming it. on the bag of salt does it say nitrate and phosphate free? You can run a phosphate pad or get a media reactor and run phos ban or gfo.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Bryan my understanding is that Phosphates are always present in the water unless we are using very high grade "Lab" test equipment. With that being said I haven't heard of a salt mix with elevated levels like that right out of the box. I'd ask RedSeaKEv or RedSea Avid about it directly and see what they have to offer. Maybe drop them a PM asking them to look at this thread and give some input.

:dunno:

RedSea Aviad

RS Sponsor
Hello,
I'll be as clear about it as I can, NO this is not normal.
Red Sea's Salt formulas goes through a very strict QA, in order to make sure there is NO Nitrate or Phosphate in it.
Please check your RO water with a fresh water kit, or with a different salt mix, or different RO-DI system.
Some kits are made for salt water and the coloration might change when are used to test fresh water.

If there is a problem in a specific batch, let me know immediately, I’ll make sure it’s taken care of.
Let me know as soon as you can,
(Even by PM or Mail)
All the best
Aviad

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
OK, I'll re run it with the following:
1. Test the RO water
2. make a mix at 1.026 SG using a new bucket of tropic marine and the RSCP salts
3. use the same jug of RO for each test.

I'll let you know.

Thanks

RedSea Aviad

RS Sponsor
Hi,
Next time open a thread on our forum.
Red Sea.
Unless the PM, I would have never found this thread...
* if anyone sees a thread like this that concerns Red Sea, please send me a PM.

All the best,
Aviad

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Well it doesn't seem to be the salt.......I don't think

I've gotten readings of 0 and .01 coming out of my RO/DI unit. Put that water in my mixing bucket with just the heater and mixing pump and it read .20!!! I stopped there.....no need to waste salt just yet. I'm going to clean all mix buckets and equipment and then retest (might of has old stuff in there). There is probably a small amount coming from the RO unit and that is causing the variations if you ask me. In my tank, since the PO4 is used up, the meter reads a solid 0 everytime.....which leads me to believe it isn't detecting anything.....whereas it is detecting something from the RO/DI and the swings i'm seeing is probably the meter error.

I "renovated" an old spectra pure RO unit......might just kick it to the curb and get a new one.

Blue Space

If I'm not mistaken, some plastics leech phosphates into the water as well. What are you using for a reservoir?