Is the SeaChem Phosphate test kit accurate? (GHA issues)

igoblox

I have been dealing with a green hair algae issue. I got it in check but it grows about a centimeter every 2-3 weeks in random places.
I have been testing my nitrate level with an API kit and it always tests at 0ppm.
I was assuming it was my phosphates that were high so I started using SeaChem Phosgaurd.
I bought a SeaChem phosphate test last week and it is testing 0ppm as well. I ran the reference test and also tested my tap water for kicks. Reference test registered 1ppm as intended and my tap water a little higher than that.
I assume the test is working but I cant get rid of the GHA completely.

Should I buy another PO4 test?
Any other suggestions?

Also I have some RedSea PO3:pO4x coming in the mail...will it hurt anything if I dose my tank and my levels are already low?

sirrealism

First off you need to know that if you have GHA then your N03 and P04 are locked up in the algae. This is why you will test 0 on them. If you really want to know what your P04 is get a Hanna checker. The hanna tests much lower then any other tester. They are a bit pricey but worth every penny. You can get them from amazon for about 50$ wile your at it and willing to get the alk and cal hanna checkers 2. You wont find anyone who has anything bad to say about them. very accurate and no more counting drops or trying to see different shades of what ever color. Just a number!!

igoblox

Yeah ...I see now I should have bought the Hanna. I contemplated it...then decided it was "too pricey". Though I already spent like $22 on the SeaChem test and if I bought a different brand the total would be nearly that of the Hanna :(

@outeastreef - No I dont. I use distilled water, but I did test it and it was 0ppm for PO3 and PO4. Though there may be other impurities present.

Thanks for the replies.

sirrealism

If your into reefs for the long run hanna checkers end up being pretty cheap. Pricey to buy but the refills are not bad. alk refill is 6$ on amazon. Distilled water should be ok but I used it many years ago and I dont know if it was the water or what but my system did not like it. You can buy a cheap RODI off of ebay for a little over 100$ You dont need a brand name for RODI they all do the same thing and as long as they make 0 TDS water your good. No need to spend 300- 400$ for RODI. Plus its so much better just to make it at home.