Is that an anemone????

sxybeemr

anemone_.jpg

I found this in my tank this week end..... I started my tank back in December 2006. I purchased 150 lbs of fiji live rock.... is this an anemone???? It is the first time i've seen it this week end..... if so, does anyone knows what kind it is??? is it ok for my corals??? What kind of care does it need? Do I have to feed it?

Ive found many hitchhiker in my tank so far... crabs, I have a million feather dusters, and also this new white coral.... not sure of what it is.... i should post a picture of it on here.... I just seen it this week end as well.... it is growing at the back of my tank.... But could an anemone have survived the shipping from hawaii to Canada in winter? with no water...?

sxybeemr

anemone_.jpg

what_is_this_3.jpg

what_is_this_5.jpg

what_is_this_4.jpg

what_is_this_1.jpg

here are more pictures.... hope it helps....?? And if it is aptaisia, what do I do with it? how can I get rid of it? I've read that aiptaisia sting your corals...?? any advises?? Thank you to all of you who responded! :smirk: :wave:

DrHank

I'm going with an aiptasia. I'd mix up some kalk paste (AKA Mrs Wages Pickling Lime) and zap it to it.

panmanmatt

Not a tube anenome. Tube anenomes live in/on the substrate and have a protective tube similar to a feather duster.

Adding a couple peppermint shrimp should get rid if that and any others that may be in the tank.

sxybeemr

Hum.. Ok...So the shrimp will eat it? Does the peppermint shrimp eat corals? or are they reef safe? how many should I buy? I have a 90 gal tank...

panmanmatt

They are reef safe, won't bother corals but will eat the aptasia. For a 90 gallon I would say 4-6 should be fine.

DrHank

I used 5 on aiptasia on my 110 and haven't seen a one in over 6 months. Now the shrimp are just part of my CUC. It is fun to blast them with Kalk though.

sxybeemr

Haha, well shrimps are cute things, but i tought they weren't reef safe. well I'll go buy a couple this week! Keep you updated!!

And what is kalk??? i just started this fishtank in december 2006, So I'm far from knowing all the slangs & products used in the saltwater tanks... is kalk safe for my fish??? i have a yellow tang, a lawnmower blenny, a green serpent star, some polyps, open brain coral and a bubble coral.... is the kalk safe?? especially for my star??? What happens when you put kalk on it? lol....

And also, one more question...... I have some brown spots on my green striped mushrooms.... anyone knows what it is??? Could it be the coraline growing on it? Or is something wrong with them? They look fine I think... Just have some weird brown polka dots on them...?Is that normal..?? like I said, I am far from beeing an expert.... I am farly new to the hobby...So all of your help is greatly appreciated.!!:smirk:

Green_striped_muchroom_with_brown_spots_.jpg

Spots_on_my_mushrooms_.jpg

Brown_spots_on_my_mushrooms_.jpg

lcstorc

Welcome to RS!

Spots on mushrooms are pretty common. Don't worry about that. It is just the kind of mushroom that determines if they get the bumps/spots or not.
Kalk is a commonly used additive. It is usually dripped in small amounts to keep your calcium and alkalinity in line. It can also be made into a paste that basically smothers the anemone.
Peppermint shrimp are hit or miss in my experience. Some eat aiptasia and I have even watched one do it. Others seem to ignore it. If the pepermints don't take care of the problem get Joe's Juice. You just put a small amount in the mouth of the anemone (with the syringe thing that comes with the Joe's). Very quickly it is gone. I believe the kalk paste method is mostly used by those who have kalc around for dripping purposes.

sxybeemr

Hahahaha!!!!!!! you wanna come and touch it for me???? LMAO!!!!!! Or maybe I should get my boyfreind to test it... Ask him to move it....:lol:
he would probably :guns: me!!!!!!! hahaha!! No way, I ain't touching it!!!lol. if I end up killing it with kalk if the shrimp don t do their job, will it melt? or just die? Can i touch it if it's dead? how do you know it's dead???

If you touch an anemone, does it really hurt a lot??? i was thinking about buying an anemore with a clown. I had 3 perculas, and they all jumped out of my tank. I found them 1 by one dryed out on my carpet... (within 5 months)... but i'm assuming if I buy a clown and an anemone that he likes, he should stay close to it, and therefore, not jump out of the tank.... Any suggestion for a colorful pretty anemone??? I'd like to get one with long arms. not the carpet anemone....Something hardy.... How do you handle the if the sting you? how do you acclimate them? you drip them? and how do you take them from the bucket to your tank without getting stung?

I'm sorry, it may seem like stupid questions to all of you.... but i really don't know... it's all new to me...

GeeWizzItsMe

I know you need a lot of space and strong lighting and a year old tank for anemones. Bubble tip is the recomended one for the first one, but you should still have a cover so things don't jump out.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I have touched several of these in my tanks and have yet to get any type of jolt but then again My luck could have ran out and I'll get it next time.

The peppermint shrimp are an excellent part of your CUC but they don't always do it. It's well worth a try and if they happen to NOT get this one, kalk it to it baby!!

Allen :)