is T5 and T5 HO the same?

Mbolt

So it's been a while, but I think I'm finally ready to upgrade my lights, but don't want to rebuild my hood to support MH. (not enough clearance) but want to get a couple 80w retrofit kits, and I see HO bulbs but the retrofit kits just say t5, just want to be sure I'm understanding, as I want to get the most light possible within my costraints.. looking at the tek retrofit kits

Frankie

RS STAFF
Yep. All T5's are HO just in different wattage as G pointed out.

The confusion is before T5's you had T12 and they came either standard or in HO. Now all the people from back then just getting into the hobby again are faced with this T5 lighting. Some sites actually say HO T5 making you think there is another T5 type out there.

InLimbo87

Sometimes you will see HO designation for retrofit kits dependent on the ballast. An Icecap 430 or 660 ballast will likely "overdrive" the lamp which (in theory) increases light by ~30%.

Also, keep in mind that individually reflected is the only way to go with T5's. The reflectors are very important.

Mbolt

So assuming I get the 660, and allow it to support 3 60" 80w T5 bulbs with individual reflectors assuming 30% increase should give me about 330w right?

Mbolt

150g, right now fish only, some sponges, and live rock, but have wanted to get to reef for some time now.

Mbolt

photo.jpg

Mbolt

I have 3 of the fish in there for over a year including a diamond goby and my water quality is good, just need enough light now.

Mbolt

as for why the 60" I figured I wanted to spread the light the whole width of the tank, thinking layout below, the front because the cover is split in the front

|_____________________________________|80w
|____________| |_______________| 2X24" 24w
|____________| |_______________| 2X24" 24w