Is starphire glass worth it.

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
''starphire'' is a copywrited name by PPG. glass Co.
all other ''low iron'' glass although may be equally clear cannot call themselves starphire without facing a lawsuit :D

It could be that they are now using true Starphire. When I purchased my tank in May of 2006, Oceanic had a "low lead" glass they were using... can't remember the name they were calling it, but it was not Starphire. I remember contemplating the choice between the two, and luckily I made the right choice going with the Staphire.

If the edge of your glass is not BLUE ... then you don't have Starphire.

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
Well I guess since I dropped the money down for a Solaris light a few extra for the glass shouldn't hurt too much.

You will look back and be glad that you went with Starphire. It's probably one of the features about my reef tank that I appreciate the most... :thumbup:

billyr98

i love the starphire glass, but it is a softer glass also, it can scratch a lot easier but the clarity is amazing. not sure if you would see the difference in a thin glass like 1/2" but on my 450g, you can see it!!!

Frankie

RS STAFF
I agree with Billy on it being softer. and what stinks about that is, if you scratch it, your stuck with it. I put a true starphire glass pane on my 120 when i built it. The clarity over regular glass is amazing. That being said, the tank i am getting next will be acrylic. Starphire is not as clear as acrylic. Just one of the reasons i am going with acrylic this time. I don't recomend acrylic to everyone. You really need to do the home work and see what kind of aquarium keeper you are before deciding. If you are a daily cleaner, then acrylic might be the way for you.

rmlevasseur

I have read that acrylic is more clear than glass, but that has never been my experience. Most tanks I have seen either have minor scratches or distortions which impair their clarity.

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
Oceanic still uses low lead glass as apossed to true starfire the tech series it nothing compared the the glass quality of Michaels Starfire tank

ilovelowiron

I Love low-iron glass as you may tell. Low-iron is really not much softer the regular float low-iron is around (Moh's Scale): 5.7 and regular plate has a Hardness (Moh's Scale): 6 - 7 usually around 6 though can go upto 7 but then again that glass is SUPER green and not used for aquariums. Acrylic does distort MUCH MUCH more than "starphire" as well and of course scratches from an unclean cloth like no one's business. Talk about soft that is why acrylic distorts so much even panels twice as thick as glass still bends
thus the GREAT distortions. I built an acrylic 400 gal and even though used 1" still moved and distorted the image (the tank was 84" X 30" X 36" tall my bad should of known too tall for 1").