is my anenome dying?

sianne01

hi there i am new to keeping saltwater fish i have had my tank up and running for 2 months now all water levels are good have shrimps crabs clown fish and a gold rimmed tang lots of soft corals and a sabae anenome african i think it has moved around the tank a bit but did settle in one part of the tank for just over a week my clown fish have taken to it very well but tonight when i came in i noticed it was spinning and turning round the tank only one part of the tank its mouth is open very wide and is very puffed out but the base is short and stumpy i have not seen it do this before and i am concerend about it is this normal ? can anyone help please

acemow

any pictures? also, posting exact chemistry numbers and params, lights, flow, etc? anything new in or out?

squidy

I have a bta and when I first bought him he pouted BIG time. I freaked out as he shriveled up and his mouth was open. After having him for almost 9 months now I have figured out that he does this when he poops. Sounds like yours maybe going thru some stress though. Do you have a qt up and running? I placed mine in a qt for several weeks while I upgraded my lighting as I thought that was the reason he was ill. I never really figured out what he was upset over but with a watchful eye and daily testing of my dt and the light upgrade, I finally placed him back in the tank and of course he pouted and moved around for a week or so. Once he calmed down and got situated he has displayed consistent behavior since. If you have a qt and choose to put him in there, remember to watch your water params close and test your dt to figure out what is upsetting him. What kind lighting do you have? Your tank is a bit new too so what are your parameters. Keep us posted.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:welcomera to reefsanctuary
745.gif

re: the anemone, I want one too, but have been encouraged to wait 9 months to a year, to allow the tank to become more established... lots of nice members here that should be able to offer related anemone help & advise.

sianne01

hi there my ph is 8.2 amonia is 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 salt level is between 23 and 24 on my hydrometer in green so ok and even took sample to fish shop all good my lighting is 2 x t5 54watt one blue one normal i have a filter inside tank which is use with a power head on and another power head at other end of tank i have about 80kg of living rock i have put in 2 new blue legged hermit crabs in the last few days other than that nothing i did notice that the sun light was shining directly into that corner of the tank so i closed curtains and after an hour the nem did calm down and seems a bit more settled today but the mouth is still open very wide not sure if this is normal i know i am new to this but i am guided by a marine biologist on what i can and cant put in and at what stage who has all his tanks running on living rock as a filtration only and has done so for years which i am not doing as seems very hard my nem is feeding and is a host to 2 clown fish could these be stressing him out?

lcstorc

It doesn't sound good. Generally, if a nem is floating loose in the tank it is a very bad sign. Seabae anemones are one of the most difficult nems and your tank is definitely too new for one. Added to that, you do not have enough lighting to support the animal.
The easiest way to tell if it is dead is the smell test. If it has died you will definitely know it.
Be sure to cover up the intakes of your power heads to be sure it doesn't get shreaded. Other than that, I would say to feed it and try to protect it from the clowns. Something similar to a strawberry basked can be used too separate the nem and the clowns who may well be stressing the animal even more.

DrHank

Honestly, you need to find it a new home in an established tank (it it's still alive) as quickly as possible. Anemones require pristine water conditions and ample light. If your 90 gal is the same footprint as a 75 gal, I'm talking no less than 6 - T5s or 2 - 250w MH. You can try a BTA after 6 months of stability or a Sebae after 1 year. Anything less than that and you take a tremendous risk. Clownfish do not need an anemone to thrive. My pink skunk clown is hosted by a toadstool.

sianne01

hi there all just an update as it has been a while anenome is great had it a while now it was floating round to find a place it was happy to settle in now it has it look beautiful had 2 x clown fish hosting in it but sadly i lost those to white spot and had a complete wipeout heartbreaking i have now fitted a uv steraliser and all is well thankyou for all your help