Is my Anemone stinging my Frogspawn?

Everyone was so helpful with my last question. So, I have to ask another.
My Purple Tip Condylactus is traveling up my live rock. His tentacles reach further up into the tank than before. They are at level with my frogspawn now. Since he has reached this new position, my frogspawn looks like it has been "deflated" a little blackened in the lower areas where the tentacles are touching it. Is my anemone stinging my beautiful coral. Ahhh! What to do? You can never win with this aquarium.
:drool:

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
It sounds like it is. I would move them further apart.

Also, make sure the 'blackened' does not develop an infection (oozing brown jelly and melting flesh).

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I was under the impression that FrogSpawn was much more potent and aggressive than most Anemone are. Guess I need to research MORE MORE MORE!!!!

A.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
That was my first thought too but if the coral is retracted and brown, it is getting injured from something.

Thank you all. However, I have run into a bit of a prob. I have fastened the base of the frogspawn to the rock with that adhessive puddy. And I can't pull the anemone off of the rock without injuring him. 2 lessons learned here: 1.) Don't adhere anything to the rock, and 2.) Chalk Mr. Frogspawn up as a loss?
Also, I didn't realize that the coral can become infected. There doesn't seem to be any stringy brown stuff yet. But, the blackesed areas seem as though nothing will be growing back there.

DrHank

I think that one of the most important things to learn is that anemones are mobile and tend to go where they want. This may not be where you would like them. They are also (obviously) equipped with stinging cells which are offensive weaponry. Therfore corals are at risk. This is by no means the first time I've heard of them injuring or killing corals. For that reason, I personally do not keep them in my reef.

Should you find it difficult to move (or remove) the anemone, I would recommend a stratigiclly placed powerhead aimed at the animal. Good luck.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Good point Doc.

Can you post a pic? Some corals can get the brown-jelly disease. It is a bacterial infection that is very contagious to your other corals.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I was under the impression that FrogSpawn was much more potent and aggressive than most Anemone are. Guess I need to research MORE MORE MORE!!!!

A.

It really depends on the Anemone. My BTA's are no match for any of the Euphyllias I have which also have a potent sting but with the Condylactus it's a different story. These guys are aggressive with potent nematocysts which are powerful enough to take out your fish in addition to killing your corals.

What is it about nature that makes Beauty so Deadly? I have found that this applies to just about everything: Fish, Anemones, and expecially women. Yet, I keep falling for it every time. I try to limit the danger to the fish tank, but I occasionaly fall for the other as well.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It really depends on the Anemone. My BTA's are no match for any of the Euphyllias I have which also have a potent sting but with the Condylactus it's a different story. These guys are aggressive with potent nematocysts which are powerful enough to take out your fish in addition to killing your corals.

thanks for the update! I had no idea that Condy was such a meanie! I know that My FrogSpawn has a potent sting.. first HAND (well finger) experience! I thought someone had smashed my finger with a hammer the first (ok TWO) times! If condy is worse than that you can keep her all to yourself :)

Wooden Harpoon said:
What is it about nature that makes Beauty so Deadly? I have found that this applies to just about everything: Fish, Anemones, and expecially women. Yet, I keep falling for it every time. I try to limit the danger to the fish tank, but I occasionaly fall for the other as well.
AMEN! I'm with you 100% on this one! And the "Sting" of a beuatiful woman stays with you for LIFE!! :)

A.