Is it strange/bad that i...

don't use a protein skimmer?
I have a 24 gallon aquapod.
42 lbs of rock.
I have a few problem with nitrates but nothing that water changes havent been able to handle.
Is it that necessary?
Do i need to mod my tank?

lcstorc

Protein skimmers are a great tool for keeping your water quality in check. You do not have to have one but they do help a lot. If your water quality is good without one then you can leave it alone. It is really up to you.

ReefLady

Staff member
It's not a problem if you plan for it... more frequent water changes, disciplined feeding, make sure nothing dies in there. :)

InLimbo87

I can't blame you for not having a protein skimmer on an all-in-one type tank. I would think that it would be an interesting feat trying to fit a skimmer in one of those back compartments ;) . If you are looking for a little extra nutrient export, look into doing a small refugium in one of your back chambers. Its a pretty simple process, and will help with water quality and add a source of live food for your tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm in the "planning" stages of a refuge for my 12g NanoCube. With the back compartments it's almost a gift from above in that you won't have to do much at all to have a functional refuge and it will still be tucked into your hood. Just add some light, cheato and you're off to reguge-ville and better water quality. The refuge has the potential to help a great deal in nitrates.

Allen :)

InLimbo87

I've been tempted to do the same with my nanocube 6, but my only worry is with the heat. Right now the tank runs at about the max I want it at (82), and I know that adding a light for the fuge would mean more fans to offset the cooling,etc,etc. We'll see, I might be up for the challenge. ;)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I may be wrong but the minimal amount of light required for a refuge shouldn't add too much to your total heat. It really depends on how strong the light is and how close it is to the water. The d rawback is that the further from the water the less light penetration and also more like "leakage" potential.

I agree that with 82 deg you're getting up there on the HIGH end of the scale and don't want to go any further.

Allen

sandman3467

Purigen will help you with nitrates,ammonia,nitrite....it'll suck up the dissolved organics.A LFS uses it on one of their eclipse tanks.

aquaman3680

i dunno... if things are working out without one i would say leave it without one! I mean theres no sense in changing something unless theres a problem!

JMHO

Matt

sandman3467

where would you place the purigen in the rear of an aquapod? sounds like a good idea and I would love to add it.

I'm not sure with the aquapod but on my JBJ i'd place it in the middle chamber......but for me I spent the cash on a protein skimmer from nanotuners.They also make one for the Aquapod 24.It'll put out micro bubbles for a couple of days but works great after the break-in.

wasupdavey

With my AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer I never have done a water change its been almost 3 weeks since I started my tank. Everything looks good all measurements are in the correct parameters.

lcstorc

You should still be doing water changes particularly if you have a reef. The need for waterchanges is twofold. First they remove contaminants from the water. Second they replace trace elements that get used up by the reef. Even if your parameters check out fine you still need to replace the trace elements that you do not test for.

johnbljr

I have a 14 G BioCube no skimmer and have a fuge built out of the back center chamber. My water quality seems pretty stable also....

johnbljr

I have the enclosed canopy on the BC 14 also.

How many chambers do you have in the back section of the tank right now.
If you give me some info about it (I am not that familiar with the aquapod), I should be able to give you a good game plan to go by.

My aquapod has two back chambers.
The right half has a blue sponge and live rock rubble.
The left side is empty with just the pump.

justsunnie

I have a 12g nanocube with no skimmer on it. I had some trouble with scum on the top at first, but I added a small powerhead (90) to agitate the top and a purigen pack in the second chamber. That coupled with water changes has kept the problem in check for me.

I dont' think it's strange or bad either. I must admit though since adding a skimmer to my BC29 along with the seagel and purigen (I have 3 chambers) my water is clear as clear can be and parameters seem to be pretty much in check. There's a company called Sapphire Aquatics that is making skimmer specifically for these all in one tanks. I can't say enough good about it.

Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

Good luck! :)

Lynnette