Is crystal clear water possible?

imaccat

I just wish I could run my fine filter longer. That thing clogs up quickly and if I don't watch it, it will restrict water flow down to nothing into the return chamber. Most I can run it is maybe 4 hours. So it really makes me wonder why so much stuff is reaching it at that point, after the skimmer, ceramics and 2 bags of carbon???

Same here I have to watch it a lot and replace it often. I think it gets clogged up so quickly because the skimmer, ceramics and carbon don't really deal with and aren't supposed to the deal with the particle size that gets caught in the fine filters. They will catch some, but most bits will go around the ceramics and carbon and the skimmer is for the microscopic stuff I think.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I just wish I could run my fine filter longer.

I would think you should be able to get to once a day. On a new tank... just may take a while, here one tip that may help, get a turkey baster & every week right before your water changes, be sure to blow off all the Live Rock. As the tank matures... it should get better & you should be able to run the finer filter & rinse it less & less. Might even cut it down a bit & have it cover like only 90% of the black courser filter.

fruit bat

I stopped using the fine filter media provided by Red sea as it was far too fine and clogged up so easily. Instead we use a floss type material which we get for our Koi pond filter for £1 per Sq Mtr. This is fine enough to polish the water, but lasts for a couple of days before it needs rinsing.

As far as the shelf for the Carbon in the 250, it has a tendancy to float and allow the carbon to sink all the way to the bottom of the chamber, Get some egg crate and make a stand for the shelf so it cant go anywhere. It was the first mod i did on my 250

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/57115-chris-sarahs-250-a-4.html Click the link and scroll down to the picture

David Shaw

Mine is crystal clear.

Before i do a water change, i rinse all the media in the media rack, blow the detritus off the rocks with a turkey baster and then scrub the glass and tank.

Then i do the water change. Ialso syphon the substrate as part of the removal of water. Result is i get crystal clear water.

I run CPE, Purigen and SeaGel with white floss on the top of the media rack, which i change daily.

This routine keeps my glass practically algae free between water changes and everything looks great.

rgslady

All good advice...never thought to actually stir things up prior to my water change, but it makes all the sense in the world. Though a weekly 50% water change on the 250 kinda hefty. I know, this will all take time to work out, but it will. My family making fun of me constantly checking my tank :) But I am enjoying it, so that's all that matters....