is all caulerpa bad?

1Reefer

Ok so I bought some red gracilaria and some green sawblade algae, I didn't want any caulerpa. The thing is I "siffted" through the macros to plant them where I pleased as its a display fuge' and there were two bunches of caulerpa one fan looking and one long flowing blades. (Pics to follow) Now I know I don't want to deal with grape caulerpa so I'm glad I didn't get any of that but how are these two varietys? Are they known to be trouble also? Is it all caulerpa?

They are small bunches so its hard to get good pics, I just posted links to pics of the same type caulerpa

Fan looking one
http://saltwater-aquarium-guide.net/images/greenalgae_caulerpa.jpg

Blade variety
http://image.absoluteastronomy.com/images/encyclopediaimages/c/ca/caulerpa_prolifera.jpg

Thanks... reefer1

1Reefer

I don't need to worry about that, I was more concerned about it going "asexual" I've read many conflicting accounts on this and wanted the experts here on reef sanctuary to clear my head.

1Reefer

Thanks frankie! I read up on that, hey one more question. Is there the risk of all caulerpa going asexual and what happens if it does go asexual? Any info would be great, that link seemed to only be about the "invasive" varietys. Do the non invasive ones not reproduce asexualy?

aquaman999

Not Illegal here in Florida as far as I know. Fish stores have lots. The Atlantic/Carribean including South Florida is home (native) to most of the species commonly available, except Caulerpa brachypus which is a known invader. Other species are circumtropical. I think the whole thing with Caulerpa was blown out of proportion. They are extremely common. In the Keys you will probably see 10 different species on one snorkel or dive. Their spread cannot be controlled and nature will find its own balance eventually.

Regards, Carlos:eek:lsmile:

johnmaloney

invasive refers to how likely they are to spread all about your tank and cover everything. both of yours are fast spreading algae, the c. prolifera will be faster than the c. mexicana. They aren't too bad to prune back, sometimes prolifera can form such a fragile runner though that removal is hard. I would try to limit them to the sand until you get an idea of what they grow like, and how they spread.

going sexual means that the algae has decided it is time to get on to a new place, and rather than asexual reproduction, (shooting up more blades), it sends out spores to get to a new location. So something went wrong, usually lack of nutrients, pruning new sprouts and keeping the old and they just die from being old, bulb changes, temperature swings etc...These two species have a lower risk than other species of caulerpa. Run carbon if they sporolate, and cloud the tank.

1Reefer

Thank you soo much john maloney!! That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I'm not real worried about spreading as they are in my fuge' but I was worried bout the spore thing. I have been reading still on this subject and it seems that may have been blow out of proportion in the first place. And you are exactly right the c. proliferia is

1Reefer

Cont. Very fast spreading but easy to control (does have very fine runners that get into cracks though. The c. Mexicana doesn't spread as fast you were dead on jonh thanks for the reply and great info.

johnmaloney

No problem! One trick is to continue to prune it so it "has room to grow" , and if you see the green going pale, or the plants becoming more frail, check to see if a little iron will help. Lots of iron may cause trouble though. Regular water changes will be fine though....the risks are sort of blown out of proportion, but only I think because the potential loss can be so great. Have fun!