Is additional flow necessary?

JKT69

I started out running stock but found that the back corners of the tank were dead spots, especially the corner right under the pump. I added a koralia nano on the opposite side, then upgraded to an ecotech mp-10 (which rocks). I also bought the same thing you linked and found it didn't do much for me, so I pulled it out.

N83259

What corals do you have or intend to add? SPS? You will need or really want one.

Even LPS really benefit from additional flow, as flow helps the process of shedding surface tissue.

Fish only tank? Optional for the commonly kept species.

When adding a new coral, most people experiment with different locations to judge effects of light intensity and current flow before glueing a specimen down. After this point, you have limited options if you need to change the flow characteristics with only the original pump nozzles. Adding a pump at this point opens up many more options.

Yes I do want to eventually add corals. I own the Maxi-Jet 1200 which I use to do my water changes. Should I just use that and if so which side should I put it if I am looking at the tank?

Thanks for all your help!

N83259

Yes I do want to eventually add corals. I own the Maxi-Jet 1200 which I use to do my water changes. Should I just use that and if so which side should I put it if I am looking at the tank?

Thanks for all your help!

You're welcome. The Maxjet 1200 comes with a kit to convert it into a directional powerhead & suction cups secure it to the sides. It's large and a little clunky looking, but I bet it would work fine. One of the purpose build power heads from Ecotech, Hydor, Tunze etc offer more flexibility, more flow and are smaller and look better, but are more expensive.

You can experiment with position to see what the corals and fish seem to respond best to. Often a position that intersects directly with the main return pump flow will give you a beneficial turbulent flow that is great for many corals.