Interesting find with a flashlight. GOOD or BAD??

Clint24

So before I went to bed I decided to get the flashlight out & go explore my tank in the dark. Much to my surprise I discovered this crab hanging out in a hole in the rock just under my montipora. Seems to be a little bit bigger than a quarter, looks like it has fuzzy legs that are striped (kinda maroon/brown & white). I tried to get some pics but they aren't the best with my phone.
c3bf6c2791c3e7874bf1edb770434ee5.jpg

Tried to edit that one but didn't really help
afbaadf17a3658854354b02b8df80796.jpg

Actual pic
ad8d0be321867498526b974ef1181a52.jpg

Going back in hole
0e34627a6154b78c8e12cd8d6361120b.jpg

Gone.

I'm sure it's not a good hitchhiker to have in my tank, so any suggestions on how to capture it would be helpful. Maybe I can get him out if I pull that rock out, good thing it's on the top of aquascape. Thanks. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveK

Usually you don't want crabs like that in the tank. Sometimes you can catch them, other times you need to trap them out. If you have a sump, they can be placed there.

Clint24

Hello DaveK. I figured it wouldn't be good to leave it in my tank but how do you suggest trapping it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
you can try a simple pop bottle trap- just cut the bottom off a plastic soda bottle and bait it with like a piece of shrimp

here the concept, the crab goes for the bait, falls in & can't climb out - most have good success with it, unless he a swimming crab - some use a small glass jar