Interesting development re: SPS polyp extension/growth

So I had a nice piece of SPS in my biocube 29...toward the bottom because my LED lighting tends to bleach anything higher...I've had it for quite some time and I don't know whether it 'got used' to my tanks params, but it was the only piece of SPS I was able to keep...I'll try to remember the name...anyway it always had abnormally long and frequent polyp extension. Then, I went away and left the tank in a friend's hand for a bit and he forgot to fill the ATO reservoir so things went a bit awry....haven't seen the polyps ever since. That was at the end of August. Ever since, I rarely if ever see the polyps, but the actual base is growing quite rampantly....as opposed to before where it was all polyp extension, no growth. Interesting no?

Big Ray

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hello,
IMO, PE doesnt show coral health. and there are no scientific papers showing that it does.

In fact, the only research done on that field has shown that since SPS corals do not have gills to breathe through, their polyps works as their gill, and they sometimes increase the polyps extension, to increase the surface area of it, hence being able to breathe in more Oxygen !

I dont want to draw conclusions about your case, cause we need alot more info like the current salinity, KH, CA and MG and nutritions, but as long as its growing, your fine :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think of SPS like golf. In golf you Drive for SHOW and Putt for Dough!
(You win or lose on the greens where you putt but everyone wants to show off on the Tee box....insert manly grunts here for sound effects).

When we look at and "brag" on our SPS we want massive amounts of PE. PE is what makes SPS seem so ALIVE and FULL and FLUFFY and many cases where some amazing coloration comes from.

So I'm gonna say this, "You want PE for show and Base Expansion for GROW!"

:LOL:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
JL there was a time when that's exactly what I was shooting for but now my tank is almost literally busting at the seems with coral. Even with a low-profile scraper I break coral with almost every scrape of the glass. I've got coral growing UP the glass, on top of other coral, and even inter-twining within other coral. I'm ready for LESS growth and more coloration. I've got colonies of coral on top of colonies of coral and no more frags to grow out.

Just my

My2cents.gif

Big Ray

Has been struck by the ban stick
I think of SPS like golf. In golf you Drive for SHOW and Putt for Dough!
(You win or lose on the greens where you putt but everyone wants to show off on the Tee box....insert manly grunts here for sound effects).

When we look at and "brag" on our SPS we want massive amounts of PE. PE is what makes SPS seem so ALIVE and FULL and FLUFFY and many cases where some amazing coloration comes from.

So I'm gonna say this, "You want PE for show and Base Expansion for GROW!"

:LOL:

+1 on PE making corals look more fluffy and ... very true ..

I myself also like the look of extended PE ...

DaveK

... Even with a low-profile scraper I break coral with almost every scrape of the glass. I've got coral growing UP the glass, on top of other coral, and even inter-twining within other coral. I'm ready for LESS growth and more coloration. I've got colonies of coral on top of colonies of coral and no more frags to grow out...

I'm sure you'll find plenty of volunteers to take those "broken pieces" of SPS corals off your hands. (Grin)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm sure you'll find plenty of volunteers to take those "broken pieces" of SPS corals off your hands. (Grin)

LOL! It's a terrible problem. I've given several "frags" away over the last few weeks and at the current rate of growth I'm gonna floor the local market with orange, brown, and green Montipora capricornus.

DaveK

You obviously need a "regional distributor" in another marketing area. Ship all those frags to me, and I'll see what I can do. (grin)