inTank Media Rack

Godly3vil

Hey guys, I'm not sure if I should even be asking this but I am thinking of making my own media rack copying Stevie T's design and can't seem to find the exact measurements of everything, what I need to know is the height of each rack and the gaps between each of them, the size of the holes and the placement of the small brace at the top?

I am only wanting to try to make my own as the actual cost of the rack is cheap, but shipping to New Zealand is a killer that completely outweighs the benefits of buying a inTank one.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi Godly3vil :wave:
:welcomera WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:
Hope you will start a tank thread & share info & pictures of your tank with us :D

Are you wanting the measurement of the inTank shelf for the RSM 250? Or 130D?
I'd think it'd be fine to make your own shelf & that the measurements wouldn't have to be exact as long as it fits into the area without too much room around the edges of it.
I will be taking mine out this weekend & can measure it & post if you are talking about the RSM 250 model.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I made one out of egg crate, but replaced it with the In-Tank. I had trouble keeping the egg crate down, it wanted to float. My ATO sensor is there and the floating interfered with the sensor.

The only problem that I am having with the In-Tank is that in the last week, my Purigen has decided it no longer wants to stay in the top of the media rack. First I found it sticking through the openings between the compartment the media rack is in and the compartment that the return pump is in. Yesterday, I actually found it up against the water level indicator window. I thought I had the media in the rack in the way that every one recommended. Has any one else had this problem?

Sorry, if I hijacked your thread.

I thought about doing the same thing but I be honest dish out the money for it! There are a lot of other DIY out there for different things but you'll get your money's worth with this and don't have to stress about it! They are lasercut and I'm not one to get overly suprised about anything but it was so impressed with the build of it and the endless possibilities. I'm one to save money, but this one has my pockets open lol

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
The issue isn't how much the inTank media shelf costs to buy as much as HOW MUCH IT COSTS TO SHIP it to New Zealand. I can see if it cost more than the price of the shelf to get it shipped...building one would be the better way to go. I think the measurements Godly3vil needs is for the RSM 130 inTank rack.
Mine is a RSM 250 so I can't help with the measurements.

clairebear

Hi Godly3vil,

I'm not sure if they ship to NZ, but you could try contacting naqua.com.au to see if they will? They are an Australian supplier of inTank media racks.

Frakke

For rsm130

side 2x 39.5cmx8.5cm
mid green 3x 8.7cmx7.9cm holes 1.6cm/0.6cm/0.4cm
top green 8.7cmx1.9cm
under to top 2cm than 12.2cm between than 10cm between small on the top 0.3cm under the top

Godly3vil

Thanks heaps guys, waiting to hear back from naqua now, I don't have a problem making one as a guy I know down here has a cnc cutter so can make it pretty tidy, wasn't going to make one out of egg crate as I have heard of floating problems.

madbuga

Looking forward to seeing your reef chronical to see where you are at.
This thread made me laugh, being in hamilton, nz and having a 130 too i went to inbasket as well to look at getting some stuff and coughed coffee when saw shipping costs. Must be nice to get shipping free in the US.
Godly3vil maybe we can co-ordinate something..

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Ask StevieT too for a shipping quote, he ships world wide & is a great guy, if there a way to ship it cheaper (like ^) I am sure StevieT (owner inTank) would be open to using it help out.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Is the intank a top mod on these tanks like all the others?

Not for real sure what you are asking....but the inTank media shelf is the easiest GREAT modification to the RSM 250 tanks. I think (not positive) that putting the inTank shelf that is made for the RSM 130 takes more than just sliding it into the back of the tank. I could be wrong & that may not be what you are asking even.
I just can't see me fighting with the little "float up shelf" that came with my tank, it sucked BIG TIME! :yup:

monster2183

Sorry for the confusion but you answered my question :) I know on a couple nanos that ive had the intank basket was a must and just wanted to know if it improved the rsm tanks also! Thank you

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
The ability to circulate water around the media (I use Chemi-Pure Elite aka/CPE & Purigen packet) is made easy by the installation of the inTank media shelf. I think you'll love having one ;)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Di - the RSM 130/130D media rack is just a drop in too, like the RSM250, but... it won't work with the stock skimmer on the 130/130D (uses some of the same space), so many that get it add the 9002 skimmer combo with it :dance:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Di - the RSM 130/130D media rack is just a drop in too, like the RSM250, but... it won't work with the stock skimmer on the 130/130D (uses some of the same space), so many that get it add the 9002 skimmer combo with it :dance:
I knew there was something that had to be changed for the media shelf to be put into the 130/130D. UUGHH, it's the whole skimmer, huh! THANKS Glenn for clarifying that! A big consideration for 130/130D owners before the buy the inTank media shelf.

hobiej

I put the media shelf in, works awesome. Best mod I think you can do. Stock area for sponges and stuff is really a poor design IMO. Yes, I was actually happy to get rid of the stock skimmer. Even after replacing the $35 impeller, it still wasn't getting the bubbles high enough to get good skimming. I put the media shelf in and used an old prizm skimmer that was just hanging around. It worked, but not well and was VERY noisy. Got the tunze on Friday! it's just starting to pull stuff now! very light! but from what I saw on the videos I looked at, it's going to be a great little skimmer. And talk about quiet!!! Now to get the upgraded cup so I can put that part of the cover back on.
But back to the media rack, I was very surprised how well it was built, and it just slid in place, couldn't believe there was nothing else to do with it.
You will not be disappointed with getting that media rack.