Insurance?

Jen

I have question: Has anyone had any experience with what insurance covers should there be a tank catastrophe/flood/damage to your home from your tank? If so, who is your insurance company? I haven't had a problem, thankfully, but called my insurance company to see if I should add a rider or something to cover the tank and damage from it should there be a problem, and they said nothing would be covered if damaged was caused by a tank mishap. Is this just my company? Input?
Thanks so much!

BarbMazz

Our home owner's policy is with State Auto Ins Co. I called them to ask the same thing. We are covered for anything that happen with the tank.

I was told that a malfunction or mishap with the tank would be the same as if any appliance in the house malfunctioned and caused a flood; like a dishwasher, icemaker, washing machine. Our policy would cover any damages caused. No rider was necessary.

Dre

Our home owner's policy is with State Auto Ins Co. I called them to ask the same thing. We are covered for anything that happen with the tank.

I was told that a malfunction or mishap with the tank would be the same as if any appliance in the house malfunctioned and caused a flood; like a dishwasher, icemaker, washing machine. Our policy would cover any damages caused. No rider was necessary.

Allstate said the same thing to me... I had to provide a copy of my renter insurance to my landlord because I live on the 3rd floor with a 125gal & 45gal tanks.

reefer4200

Allstate said the same thing to me... I had to provide a copy of my renter insurance to my landlord because I live on the 3rd floor with a 125gal & 45gal tanks.

i have the same thing for my 125 on the 3rd floor and my buddy spilled 35 gallons of water and destroyed the APT below me and now i hope that this is under my coverage. please keep your prayers with me my fellow reefers!! I am also using statefarm

Dre

i have the same thing for my 125 on the 3rd floor and my buddy spilled 35 gallons of water and destroyed the APT below me and now i hope that this is under my coverage. please keep your prayers with me my fellow reefers!! I am also using statefarm

Good thing it wasn't the full 125gal :yup: :yup: My friends 90gal was broken by his kid on the 2nd floor and it wasn't nice :cry1: He lost everything and some $$.

reefer4200

yea best of all it happened 10mins after i walked in from vacation. i use a giant garbage can on wheels for my water changes... he was pushing (instead of pulling) and there she went. a tital wave in my apt. I admit it i was laughing when it happened!!

Jen

Thanks everybody! Hope that spill was covered! Looks like it's time for me to look into changing insurance companies.

fishnu

Wow, two insurance posts in two days! See mine.

Here

Mine is more of a legal issue. They would not cover your tank, but will cover the flood.

However, would they cover the tank and fish and coral if lightning struck your house and shorted out your electronics, killing your fish AND flooding your house? Interesting question to ask.

Tru2nr

every company and policy will vary as far as that is concerned 99% of the time depending on your company and the type of insurance the "direct loss" would have to be one of those covered "perils" and the proximate cause would be the damage done to the house...now unless you have a specific pet insurance your livestock will not be covered...almost every company will state that their policy does not cover birds or fish there are certain restrictions...so for example say ur house caught on fire(direct loss and peril) and as a result your tank heated up killed everything and then broke from the heat as glass does(proximate cause) then it would be covered no problem but if ur tank cracked and flooded the apt the livestock wouldn't be covered but the tank and whatever it destroyed would be up to the policy limits.....good enough of an answer?

CMG

I wanted to chime in a shed some light on this issue since I work for an insurance brokerage. Please first note that coverages and exclusions vary from insurance company to insurance company so this is just general info and as far as varying from state to state who knows.

So in CA:

Your contents coverage on your homeowners policy will cover your tank, equiptment, etc. If you have your items scheduled then you will not have to pay your deductible, however if they are not then you will pay the deductible first. Depending on how much your tank and all that is worth it may not make sense to schedule it.

Now your live stock. Animals and pets, etc. arent covered in a homeowners policy. So for example if your dog gets hit by a car the insurance company doesnt give you money to buy a new one. So with your fish and all that wouldnt be covered. There is a very easy way around this but that may or may not be insrance fraud so I do not wish to say anymore about that.

As far as damage caused to your home by a water spill:
Most carriers (insurance companys) are going to cover any water damage done by household thigns like sinks, water pipes, and fish tanks. The flood policy's that people buy seperately from a home policy are for non-household thigns like natural disasters or excessive rainstorms etc.

I am not sure why FISHNU is saying his tank isnt covered, I will have to read his linked post.

Please remember this is general info and varies from state to state and insuracne company to insurance company

fishnu

CMG, If my tank just leaked,and my fish died that would be wear and tear.

If a tree tell through my window and broke my tank (or killed my dog), they would be covered.

Right?

CMG

Pretty much. But your aquatic life isnt covered either way because it will never be covered. Only the equiptment is covered.

If your tank leaks because of wear and tear then it wont be covered, BUT if you are carrying it from one room to another or moving houses, etc. then "it will be covered" (rememeber what I said in the post above) if it were to be dropped and crack or bent the wrong way and cracked/damaged. this happened to my first tank when I moved. I had an acrylic tank. It was actually two tall tanks connected by two cyclanders that the fish could swim through, really cool looking. I dont think they make them anymore but I see them on craigs list now and then.

This is also why people schedule things. Basically scheduling is a no questines asked ordeal. Like my fiances ring is scheduled because then it is covered no matter what happens to it. Theft, falls off into the lake, the diamond falls out somewhere, down the sink, etc. Normaly it would have to be stolen otherwise you are SOL but if you schedule it then its covered plus you dont have to pay the ded.