Instant Ocean salt?

frezel

Oh yeah , this is my 2 cents, for a softies tank salt is salt. If you get into reefs then other salts hold a higher alk and ca ratio, but for shrooms its cool.

TheBishop

Regular instant ocean can be used, but get Reef Crystals from Instant Ocean. Regular water changes with that will remove any need for dosing or trying to raise ALK. My DKH stays right around 9.0 with 10 percent water changes every week. Also Calcium stays around 450.

HUNTER1

The instant ocean I ordered is the regular one not thre reef crystal. If that's ok with softies then I'm good.

Roots

I didn't like Instant Ocean Salt the times I tried it. Never dissolved as quickly or thoroughly as other salt brands I have tried.

Doogle

What??? That's why it's called instant ocean!
Lol
I use io and reef crystals within minutes after mixing, but I hand mix 5g at a time.

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
I use Instant Ocean on my SPS tank. I supplement the Calcium and Alkalinity with daily dosing, but I've never had any problems with the salt restricting coral growth, let alone dissolving when being mixed. I don't trust the makeup of Reef Crystals myself, and I definitely wouldn't use it on a softy tank! :)

carlfike

I use oceanic salt. My lfs sells it 200g bucket for $50. Used to use io but the prices here are retarded. $65 a bucket at petsmart.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
You have to google the heck out of salt before you buy. A couple weeks ago I got 200g boxes of IO for $38 each with free shipping.

carlfike

You have to google the heck out of salt before you buy. A couple weeks ago I got 200g boxes of IO for $38 each with free shipping.

Quit holding out on us man! You gotta share those deals! Salts not really an issue. It's the water bill lol.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

reefin101

drs foster usually has sales on it plus free shipping.
they have RC for $44 for 200g box....Free shipping

Great salt even for my SPS tank!

Conway Corals

RS Sponsor
I like IO. I use the regular version most, but the couple times I've used Reef Crystals it seemed to perk things up. Maybe it was just my wallet trying to make me feel better about the difference in cost, but confirmation bias aside, I like the Instant Ocean salt. Now their gel foods are another matter...:scram:

ronnunan

I don't use anything else. The reef crystals works great, has consistent numbers after I mix and I have never got a bad batch. I go through 150 gallons a month.