Insect-Like Creature

Edison

I just spotted this little guy crawling on the front.
What might he be?

insectlikecrearure.jpg

Edison

Thanks Al, that's what he is.
Funny thing, right after I took the shot, I pulled the card out of the camera then looked to see where he was & he was gone.
Did I mention that when the pic was taken, the nudi was about 2" away from Spot (the BSJF)?

Edison

That is definitely a Nudibranch and quite possibly the variety that feeds on zoanthids or another coral. Do you have an zoas or other coral that is unhappy and in the vicinity? Here is some info on the zoa predator.

PREDATOR - Nudibranch - Nudis!!

I have many Zoa colonies and frags but they all are happy and open most all of the time. I did have one colony that was infected with some very small nudis but the colony was treated several times with Lugol's and they have been fine ever since.

David Shaw

I found a few of those exact ones in my tank, i removed them fearing they were nudibranches. Not seen any for weeks now, removed about 8 in total.

cbrownfish

Check your zoanthids folks, we have predators in our midst!

Cindy, yours has likely been feeding on a green colored polyp. I am not sure if the morph their color or absorb color from the polyp, but it is common for them to have a coloration that resembles the polyp they are feasting on.

cindyp

hmm Thanks Cb I have been removing these critters everytime I see one and so far I haven't seen any in quite sometime but thanks for the warning I will def be on the lookout .