Increasing Flow Rate

Orcrone

My current configuration consists of a 125 gallon, dual overflow and return aquarium with a Mag-18 pump sitting in a sump. All tubing is 3/4" ID. The Mag-18 is connected to an Aqua UV sterilizer. The output of the sterilizer goes to a T, with the outputs of the T going to the two returns. I've purchased an inline chiller that I will be placing between the pump & UV unit. With the new chiller I would like to increase the flow rate. I figure one option is to purchase a Mag 24.

Another option would be to put 3/4" to 1" barbed adapters at the pump, chiller and UV sterilizer. I'd replace the T fitting with a 1" to 3/4" reducer. In that way I'd increase the diameter tubing I'm using from the pump to the chiller, chiller to the UV & from the UV to the T. I'd keep the 3/4" tubing from the 2 T outputs back to the tank as they are. Two 3/4" hoses have a slightly larger cross section than a single 1" tube.

Do you think that will increase my flow much, or will the 3/4" fittings on the pump, chiller & UV negate the gains?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I can't really "envision" your idea but I don't think you want ALL that flow going through your UV. There needs to be some DWELL time for it to be effective.

Orcrone

I can't really "envision" your idea but I don't think you want ALL that flow going through your UV. There needs to be some DWELL time for it to be effective.

It's a 57 watt Aqua UV unit and it's designed for flow rates of 1000 gph.

tnwillia

+1^ I'd think the Mag 18 would do everything you need and still allow you to put gate valves in your path to back it down if needed. I don't have it at hand but if you do a search for "head calculator" in this section (equipment) there are at least a couple posted. Good luck!

Orcrone

+1^ I'd think the Mag 18 would do everything you need and still allow you to put gate valves in your path to back it down if needed. I don't have it at hand but if you do a search for "head calculator" in this section (equipment) there are at least a couple posted. Good luck!

1800 gph is at 0 feet under ideal conditions, with 1 1/2" fittings. I have it going through 3/4" ID tubing being pushed through a skimmer with an additional 4.5 - 5 feet of head. When I was cleaning my tank one time I estimated flow rate by timing how long it took to empty a fixed amount of water & measured about a 450-500 gph flow.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
with all due respect I'm running a Mag-18 and with 3/4" hose at 7' I can assure you I'm getting way more than those numbers. We "estimated" a while back that it was well over 1000gph and can shoot a solid "tube" of water from one wall to the other with almost no loss in altitude (Don't ask . . )

I honestly feel like you're underestimating your flow but I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time .. )

Reefaddict7

Increasing the size of your return plumbing will increase your flow.....think of it as the difference between blowing through a coffee stirrer as opposed to blowing through a drink straw. I have a mag 18 on my 100 gal. and will be doing exactly what you are considering :spinner:

Orcrone

Increasing the size of your return plumbing will increase your flow.....think of it as the difference between blowing through a coffee stirrer as opposed to blowing through a drink straw. I have a mag 18 on my 100 gal. and will be doing exactly what you are considering :spinner:

I didn't know if reducing from 1" to 3/4" to go through the chiller and UV unit would negate the benefits. I will be increasing from 3/4" to 1" upon exiting those units. Whoever gets done first should let the other know how it works!!

Orcrone

with all due respect I'm running a Mag-18 and with 3/4" hose at 7' I can assure you I'm getting way more than those numbers. We "estimated" a while back that it was well over 1000gph and can shoot a solid "tube" of water from one wall to the other with almost no loss in altitude (Don't ask . . )

I honestly feel like you're underestimating your flow but I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time .. )

When it comes to being wrong I probably have you beat!!!:dunno:

One thing I haven't mentioned is that I bought this setup used off of someone this summer. I haven't done any maintenance on the pump and have no idea when it was done last.

Which brings me to my next question. What should I be doing for maintenance, and how often should I do it? Should I replace the impellar?

Al... One more question. When you mentioned the flow you measured was it just going through a 7' long 3/4" hose or did it also go through other devices?

Thanks!!!

Reefaddict7

Orcrone,

I can scan and send you the care and operating instructions for the mag 18, it also has the parts list and specs.....I hope we never need the parts list....lol

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Orcrone,

I can scan and send you the care and operating instructions for the mag 18, it also has the parts list and specs.....I hope we never need the parts list....lol

Would you do the same to me? :) I don't have my papers any more.

Reefaddict7

ok guys i have the scans...I'm new here, I'm not sure how to send them to you but if you let know I'll send em.

Michael

Orcrone

Orcrone,

I appreciate the offer, but let me first look at home. I may have the paperwork there. Danner Mfg. does have a PDF of the data sheet on their website.

steved13

PREMIUM
It sounds like you have it all figured out, but just in case, another idea would be to add a much less expensive dedicated pump for your UV, and gain that flow back for your chiller. Must be a lot less expensive than a new larger main pump, plus give you more flexibility.