Inclinations of a no-filter media system.

charlesr1958

I've taken sand samples home and when put under the scope, am always amazed at the unseen life that can be found, such life, is of course, what makes a deep sand bed functional and worth having.
Let me know what you find, I always get a kick out of discovering new (to me) critters. Corals are cool and all, but I get the most enjoyment out of all the "little peaple" that make a reef, a reef. My dive buddies would always get mad at me when they would have to come back looking for me, only to find me with my face pressed into the reef watching all the little critters go about their business...lol Even now, I spend time each night using a flashlight to attract plankton so I can catch a few and put them under the scope, which is where I got all the photos from for my zooplankton page.

Chuck

EagleEyes

Thanks to your page i now know that i have Munid Isopods!!! I have a 50X handheld microscope that i press against the glass and i see tons of things (when i dont clean the glass for a couple of days.. lol) They lay their eggs that hatch and they disappear until they have to lay eggs again. I think that the starfish scared them away or somethin. So i will let you know, and if the card fits the camera there, i might have photos!!

flricordia

I've had a 20gl going since Aug06 that is primarily a 'natural system'. It is run with a DSB that is maintained by a Tiger pistol shrimp and 2 yellow watchman gobies, 35# LR and a chaeto fuge (24/7 light cycle-mainly for ph control). Corals consist of approx. 50 ricordia, dozen mushrooms, a few zoanthids and 1 6-lined wrasse. Fish are fed every 2 days and corals are fed every week.
There is no protein skimmer, UV, add-on denitrator. One power head to return water from fuge and one for in tank water movement. 20% water changes every 2 weeks and addition of iodide, moly/strnt, liquid calcium, kalk in RO/DI auto top-off.
Rarely clean glass of diatom and no undesirable algae grows in system. I have only been able to keep 1 astrea snail as anymore will starve.

8473rictank041007-med.jpg

charlesr1958

Bravo! Isn't it great when a tank is pretty much on auto pilot? With a little thought and livestock planning, its amazing how well things will do if given the chance and the time to strike its balance. Beautifull system you have there.

Chuck

EagleEyes

So there is good news and bad news with my tank. One of the snails i added nassarius snails has died. Good news is however, there was not a huge spike in ammonia simply because the snail was devoured over the course of a couple of days by the sandbed organisms (mostly worms i am sure) and water movement. Every other snail is still going strong and i think a water change this weekend is in order. I was not happy that the snail died, but it was extremely happy to see that i have a well rounded aquarium that can support minor casualties such as those from stress in small organisms.

EagleEyes

Thanks!! It worked out, and the tank looks great. I ordered a calcium test kit and a supplement to help 'em out. Not to mention i might be able to get some dang coraline growth.. lol Thanks again

EagleEyes

Chaeto.. got some of that lovely chaeto. Also, i comically added a Maxijet 1200 to my ten gallon today, was having some problems with cyano. I am going to upgrade, but i am moving painfuly slow for some reason, i am getting to the bottom of it though. Pics Soon!

smkndrgn142

Wow, great thread! I wish I had found this years ago. I've been keeping a system like this for years. It started as a FOWLR in a 29g...30lbs of live rock and a couple powerheads. Must have been about 5 years ago, I upgraded that to a 55g, then upgraded the lights and started adding some corals. I moved in with my GF and it all had to go back in the 29g for a while and the 55g went into storage. I was amazed that everything seemed to do better cramped back in to the 29g! A couple years ago we moved into a bigger place and I brought the 55 back to life...been about a year and a half now. It was a rough start, there was a lot of die off from the LR i had to put into storage...I rushed setting it back up...and oh, was that a bad idea! But seriously, I do maybe 1 WC a month 10-20%...sometimes not even that frequent. I do plan to add a sump, but only for increased water volume, and I'm hoping to add some more macro algae when I upgrade my lights to help use up some of the excess nutrients. I should add I have a very light bio load with only 3 fish and a CUC, but I love the way this type of system works!

smkndrgn142

I think the Berlin system is dated...I mean, why strip the good stuff?

There's a million different tanks out there, and everyone's got their own ideas about what's best. As someone else on this site said, this is a science...there's no one way to do things and no one right answer.

Hizanonyirork

Has been struck by the ban stick
Inclinations of a no filter media system

I have a moray 700l filter and dont know if its working on my aquarium. Iv put it in the water with just the top not submerged, and with the straight outlet attached. Iv plugged it in and the filter is making a noise but I cant see any bubbles coming out of the filter for eg?

EagleEyes

I'm no expert on that model, but sometimes you have to prime some filters in order for them to start pushing water. And by prime I mean fill the filter chambers inside it with water, which I would expect to happen automatically since it's submerged, but it might be good to check anyway?

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
From page 1:
but my goal is to keep no kind of filter in it. Only a light, a power head, and my livestock.

I'm setting that up now, due to my 90g getting cracked. New setup is a top-down reef pool in a poly tub with two powerheads, with the only maintenance being kalk top-off and scrubber harvesting. Not even any glass cleaning. Maybe some cal/alk/mag dosing if the kalk can't keep up.

EagleEyes

Sorry to hear about your 90 gallon. A top down reef pool sounds exciting! I think that is what hooked me on this hobby, looking down into a tank as if it were a tide pool. How do you like scrubber harvesting?