Impulse buy

Went to the LFS yesterday afternoon to buy supplies and ended up leaving with a Bubble Coral.....it was on sale. I didn't do any research on it as I normally do before a coral purchase. SO, what do I do now? I've done some checking this morning and get conflicting info as to placement and approriate light. General idea is lower in the tank, low lighting, moderate flow. Any suggestions on placement, light, feeding, etc? I have a 36G AG bowfront corner tank, Coralife Power Compact, 40 lb live sand, 40-50 lb LR, 2 Max Jet 1200s with Hydor Flos, 1 Max Jet 400, Prism Skimmer, Aqua C 70 backpack, mainly soft corals, and gorgs.

Last edited:
Consider me reprimanded. I PROMISE I won't do it again. Will keep it away from the softies. Thanks for the info and the website.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Is that one yellow tang and its reflection, or two yellow tangs?

A 32g tank really is not large enough for one, let alone 2 (if you have 2), yellow tangs. I would suggest planning on either upgrading to something of at least 75g in the near future, or taking it (them) out.

Its a gorgeous tank otherwise! I agree with witful on the sweepers!

It's two. Yes, the tank is too small for both. Will be moving everyone into a 90G corner tank in June. In the meantime, keeping a close eye on amonia and nitrates. No problems so far and everyone seems happy.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Cool! Just keep in mind that tangs like a minimum lateral swimming space of about 4 ft, which is like a pinprick compared to the entire ocean that they came from that they could rome through as they pleased. Good to see that you're watching your levels closely too, cause they are poop machines!

Can't wait to see your new tank!

BoomerD

2 yellow tangs in a 32? Oh my....
/me waits for the tang police to show up....
:wit: :wit: :wit: :wit: :wit: :wit:

I can't wait to get it!!! I got the tangs when they were babies. They were about the size of a quarter. They've been raised together so there are no territorial issues. I knew I would have to eventually get a bigger tank. It was actually part of my plan concieved long ago in order to convince the wife to let me spend the money to make the move up to a bigger tank....ha....and it worked. She can't bear to part with her beautiful fish so we must get them a larger space. Please don't spill my evil secret!!!!!

By the way, it's actually a 36....so that at least buys me almost one more inch of fish space...But YES I have been properly scolded. Keep the fish police away for just a few more weeks and then they can all come over and ooooh and aaahhh over my new tank.

Your tank is beautiful...where in Memphis do you shop for your livestock? I'm also a Memphian, well...yankee bred, but Memphis is now in my blood (just starting the hobby with a small 20 gallon) - wondering what is the best LFS in your opinion in town.

I buy most everything at Something Fishy on Whitten. I really like Kermitt's Reef in Cordova but I'm a midtowner and hate to drive that far east. Both stores have execellent staff and know their stuff.

Right on Mempho Reefer...I appreciate it. I'm also a Midtowner, so will probably stick to Something Fishy but will definitely check out the other if I ever find myself in Cordova.

Thanks a lot!

cecilio

hi
i have three bubble corals and all are doing fine, i placed them in midle to hight
light, feed them target feed with frozen baby brine shrimp about twice a week, imo the most important for bubbles is that they receive very very low current flow, if they have even middle flow they wont last a week, also place them away from other corals they are very aggressive

Frankie

RS STAFF
fidojoe said:
Psst... too late BoomerD, I let him off with a warning :D
Warnings are not enough. thats just damn crewl. I hope you fix this problem fast for the mental issuse for them fish. its not just the water conditions that need to be adressed here people its the fishes well being.
Well now that thats said, bubble corals are easy to keep with good water control. and like witful said, keep it good and centered in the tank so the feeler dont touch the other corals. i loved the one i had. good luck with it!

fidojoe

Fish Addict
FFrankie said:
Warnings are not enough. thats just damn crewl. I hope you fix this problem fast for the mental issuse for them fish. its not just the water conditions that need to be adressed here people its the fishes well being.
Well now that thats said, bubble corals are easy to keep with good water control. and like witful said, keep it good and centered in the tank so the feeler dont touch the other corals. i loved the one i had. good luck with it!

Someone seems to have a stick up his butt today!

I hate to be an a$$ about this, but there are more effective ways of guiding people than being rude.

I do agree that 2 tangs of any kind should not be in a tank that small, but we already covered that. Are you going to go to his house and rip the tangs out of his tank? RS is not the place to start flame wars!

/End Rant

thanks for all the info on the bubble coral. the advice is welcome. as for the two tangs in a too small tank, as i explained in an earlier posting, they were babies when i got them just over a year ago. they were tank bred and probably would be dead by now if i hadn't rescued them from the 20g tank with 30 other fish they were in with at Petco. i already had plans go to a larger tank by summer 06. yes, the space they are in now is confined but believe me when i tell you that they are well cared for. water quality is excellent. the fish are stress free showing great color and continued growth. in just a few weeks they will be in a much larger home. i appreciate the concern and criticsm. that's why i chose to become a member of this forum. the advice and the appreciation for the hobby and the animals we care for is the best on the web. i thank you and my fish thank you for your concern.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I guess i was a little to rude and im sorry to have offened anyone. Im just worried about people making the same mistakes i did when getting into this hobby. I'll need to be more carful on how i word my feelings from now on.