Impellar for Protein Skimmer stuck once again for the 250!!!!

This is the third time! My pump keeps getting stuck. I took it apart yesterday and cleaned it, put it in a bucket of water and it worked fine. As soon as I put the skimmer all back together in the tank the pump seemed stuck again! Its getting really annoying!

Also, how often do you guys do water changes for the 250? Like an idiot I haven't done one in 3 months since I figured my water is evaporating and I'm adding fresh water every week. My one and only mushroom rock seems to be dying. I need to start a water changing schedule!!!! How often?

CaRSMDuke

Lakersfreak,
It sounds like you aren't checking your water quality weekly.
On water changes my experience is to change 10% or slightly more every 7 days. IMHO Due to the lack of changes and your description of your coral you should begin more aggressive changes 25%+ every couple of days.
Keep testing the water often with a quality test kit (not dip strips) and a refractometer for salinity. When water quality has become excellent then go to weekly water changes for maintenance.
I don't have any experience with my impeller getting stuck. The only similar situation I have heard of on RSM's is the pump cavitating from loss of suction due to Chem Pure or other bagged media "smothering" the pump. I installed a plastic grid above my pump to prevent this.

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
Is there something in the compartment that the skimmer sits in, maybe causing the problem?

When it gets stuck what do you do? What happens when you turn the power off and back on, does it stay stuck? Are you using the mechanical sponge?

Is there something in the compartment that the skimmer sits in, maybe causing the problem?

When it gets stuck what do you do? What happens when you turn the power off and back on, does it stay stuck? Are you using the mechanical sponge?

There is nothing in the skimmer compartment. When its stuck it starts vibrating and making extra noise. I take it out and clean the pump and put it back together. This usually works. However this time its still not working right. :cry1: I don't think I am using the mechanical sponge? What is it?

tnwillia

I Mix water Wednesday & change 10% every saturday. Sounds like it's EuroReef RSM 250 time! I love mine.

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
You don't wanna be buying another skimmer just yet... talk to RedSea and get a replacement pump, everything is still under warranty/guarantee.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
+1 on the water changes. Just topping off doesn't replace calcium, alkalinity or trace elements, and doesn't get rid of nitrates and other organic nasties in the water that don't get removed by a skimmer. Any idea on what your pH is? That may have really dropped after 3 months.

I wonder if something on the skimmer pump gets deformed when attaching it back to the skimmer. Is anything cracked or deformed on the pump fitting? Odd that it pumps fine till you hook it back up to the skimmer body.

+1 on the water changes. Just topping off doesn't replace calcium, alkalinity or trace elements, and doesn't get rid of nitrates and other organic nasties in the water that don't get removed by a skimmer. Any idea on what your pH is? That may have really dropped after 3 months.

I wonder if something on the skimmer pump gets deformed when attaching it back to the skimmer. Is anything cracked or deformed on the pump fitting? Odd that it pumps fine till you hook it back up to the skimmer body.

nothing is cracked!

i know stop harassing me everyone! I am going to do my weekly water changes starting Saturday. Should I do 20% to start with?

However this doesn't solve my skimmer pump issue!