IMAX Deep Sea 3D

bbl_nk

I had the chance to go see IMAX's Deep Sea 3D again this weekend. The theater in Sacramento had a deal on Memorial Day, two shows for $10. Its pretty cool if you have a chance to see it. They have some pretty cool reef shots including a segment on the Mantis Shrimp (boy they are U-G-L-Y!) I kept looking around trying to ID all the fish I could and was shopping for live rock as I watched it saying in my head "That piece would be great for my tank!" LOL

XBwlr

Not to be a total DA :)drool:) ... but, what's IMAX?

I've seen ads in the Columbus Dispatch for it, but we've never gone to one.

bbl_nk

Is movies on steroids, 60x80ft screens, 12,000 watt digital sound. They usually have documentary type films and take some mainstream flicks and put them on the IMAX system.

They have this films in 3D which are filmed and projected tuned to our vision so things just float out at you. They had a cool opening sequence where jellyfish are floating by...its so realistic you feel like you are right there and can touch them. They also came up on reefs where it looked so real it was INCREDIBLE!

Its definitely worth checking out! We drove 90 miles to go see it.

kyrie_eleison

Has been struck by the ban stick
You know what'd be cool on Imax?! "Blue Planet"! Well...some episodes; not all. I wouldn't mind going to Imax more often...if it weren't Arden.

bbl_nk

That would be pretty cool. Yeah the 1.5 hour drive makes it a adventure not just getting out and seeing a movie. They have one in San Jose that is a dome theater, supposed to be pretty slick...an underwater movie could be cool in that setting :)

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I have a friend that used to edit movies that were show in IMAX. It's an increadible movie experience. The Kennedy Space Center in Florida has a great IMAX theater with space as its subject. Well at least it did 20 years ago. If I ever get to Sacremento, I'll be sure to see it. Perhaps it will come to the IMAX theater at the Smithsonian, then I'll be right next door!:)

vdituri

I'll have to see if its still playing downtown this weekend.
I usually end up with motion sickness from IMAX. lol

iamkellogg

I get motion sickness too! lol

My husband and I went to Fantasia 2000 when it was in Imax and I left the theater sick about 10 minutes into the movie.

I have seen the Imax Deep sea when it came out on dvd and LOVED it.

Kelly

revhard05

there is a imax theater here in downtown chattanooga tenneessee, it is very cool because it is located a block over from the worlds largest fresh water aquarium, besides it being the worlds largest freshwater aq. It is when you walk in you get on a escalader and go th the top where it is designed where you fallow the trail of the rain going from strems to rivers to bigger rivers then to the seas the oceans, it host species from around the world from south america to africa and asia. Then in a newer adition 2 years ago i think you go to the oceans and seas reefs big sharks stuff like that. i think it is neat because there is a very large freshwater tank that has local soecamins in it as seeing how we live next to the tenneesse river... it is truely a cite... on that note has anyone been to the atlant aquarium???

Frankie

RS STAFF
Very sad that they closed the imax here in Charleston. It seemed they had not enough people viewing it. Surprising concidering the amount of tourists that float through this place.