I'm such an idiot !!!!!!

cjrudy

Word of advise............

When you drain your sump to do a water change, MAKE SURE YOUR HEATERS ARE UNPLUGGED.

What a freakin nightmare, I drained the sump and cracked both my heaters because I didn't unplug them, ugh.........tell me someone else has done the same thing so I don't feel so bad.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
not a bad start, in future buy heaters with built in shut offs lol, next time you drain the sump miss the bucket so it goes on the floor then we'll talk hehe

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
not a bad start, in future buy heaters with built in shut offs lol, next time you drain the sump miss the bucket so it goes on the floor then we'll talk hehe

Great advice and LOL to the bucket!! Been there.. done that.. (a few times).

Jackalope

i did that +more. i actually moved my heaters out of the way ... out of the sump. 2- 200 watt titanium heaters. i could smell this funny "Hot" smell. like a car engine slightly overheating. aha! burned my hand, unplugged, let them cool, put them back in, tested to ground. they are still working perfectly w/in 1.5 degrees lol.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
its the learning curve, price is paid in life,limb and unfortunate equipment, my best was a rubbermaid full of mixed water and a mag pump, thought the heater was shorting out so unplugged it and reached in the tub for the heater SURPRISE! IT WAS THE PUMP! I laughed,cursed etc and still i won't use gfi's lol maybe that will be a story I won't get to share

DaveK

Just about everyone that has kept any aquarium system for any length of time has done similar things. At least heaters are comparatively inexpensive to replace.

20nano

i did tat to my freshwater tank when i was cleaning and water changing.....it cracked almost instantly when i start filling it with water again......then i did it again to my new reef tank but luckily i smelled it and heard the water sizzle as it dried on the heater then shut it off right away b4 i refilled sump.

20nano

i also acclimated a fish and when i put the fish into the tank, i untied the small airhose and left it in the bucket and rushed to work. When i got home, the bucket was filled and water all over the floor....my sump was running nearly dry and shooting bubbles into teh main tank...

Jackalope

well thats not as bad as my nem-in-the-overflow! lol approx. 60 gallons on my new laminate floor... totall re-do.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
awesome stories lol, recovered a big fat peppermint shrimp that survived the Niagara falls of my overflow from the sump, threw it into the display, oops... anything coming into the Top of the tank is FOOD! Bluecheek trigger ommnomnom, look on my face was eek!

Robzilla

awesome stories lol, recovered a big fat peppermint shrimp that survived the Niagara falls of my overflow from the sump, threw it into the display, oops... anything coming into the Top of the tank is FOOD! Bluecheek trigger ommnomnom, look on my face was eek!

Did the same thing with a peppermint when I had the Lunare Wrasse...OOPS!

cjrudy

Thank you for all your comments and support. Its always good to hear from other addicts who have experienced the same thing. :)

softreef

Word of advise............

When you drain your sump to do a water change, MAKE SURE YOUR HEATERS ARE UNPLUGGED.

What a freakin nightmare, I drained the sump and cracked both my heaters because I didn't unplug them, ugh.........tell me someone else has done the same thing so I don't feel so bad.
Not an idiot, just forgetful. There is a big difference. An idiot would have remembered and thought; "mine won't break" and drained the sump anyway............